IO PACKAGE and JAVA

steph
I am getting this message:

Detected XLS interfaces: warning:  No Java support found (no Java JRE or
JDK?)
warning: called from
     getxlsinterfaces at line 122 column 11
     xlsopen at line 262 column 17
     xlsread at line 233 column 11

My operating system is Ubuntu 18.04 and I run Octave 5.2

 >> pkg describe io
---
Package name:
         io
Version:
         2.4.13
Short description:
         Input/Output in external formats.

How can I get rid of this message?

Steph

Re: IO PACKAGE and JAVA

steph

On 2020/03/22 17:08, Debajyoti Datta wrote:
I also get this, but this does not interrupt normal operations. Are you trying to plot data from excel sheet ??

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020, 8:29 PM Steph Bredenhann <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am getting this message:

Detected XLS interfaces: warning:  No Java support found (no Java JRE or
JDK?)
warning: called from
     getxlsinterfaces at line 122 column 11
     xlsopen at line 262 column 17
     xlsread at line 233 column 11

My operating system is Ubuntu 18.04 and I run Octave 5.2

 >> pkg describe io
---
Package name:
         io
Version:
         2.4.13
Short description:
         Input/Output in external formats.

How can I get rid of this message?

Steph

Hi

We must keep the help list informed.

It does not interrupt normal operations, true, but I write results (normal text) to the command window and this unnecessary feedback clutter my output. If I can make IO recognise the JAVA path then I can use my output sensibly.

I know that the developers is working on a new version of IO, so hopefully this cosmetic problem will be solved quickly.

In the mean time, should anyone have a solution or workaround I'll appreciate.

Re: IO PACKAGE and JAVA

mmuetzel
Am 22. März 2020 um 17:00 Uhr schrieb "Steph Bredenhann":

> On 2020/03/22 17:08, Debajyoti Datta wrote:
> > I also get this, but this does not interrupt normal operations. Are you trying to plot data from excel sheet ??
> >
> > On Sun, Mar 22, 2020, 8:29 PM Steph Bredenhann <[hidden email][mailto:[hidden email]]> wrote:
> > > I am getting this message:
> > >
> > > Detected XLS interfaces: warning:  No Java support found (no Java JRE or
> > > JDK?)
> > > warning: called from
> > >      getxlsinterfaces at line 122 column 11
> > >      xlsopen at line 262 column 17
> > >      xlsread at line 233 column 11
> > >
> > > My operating system is Ubuntu 18.04 and I run Octave 5.2
> > >
> > >  >> pkg describe io
> > > ---
> > > Package name:
> > >          io
> > > Version:
> > >          2.4.13
> > > Short description:
> > >          Input/Output in external formats.
> > >
> > > How can I get rid of this message?
> > >
> > > Steph
>

> Hi

> We must keep the help list informed.

> It does not interrupt normal operations, true, but I write results (normal text) to the command window and this unnecessary feedback clutter my output. If I can make IO recognise the JAVA path then I can use my output sensibly.

The io package should be able to detect the JRE automatically on Windows (in most cases). Keep in mind that the bit-ness of Octave and the JRE must match. So if you use Octave 64bit, you need to install Java 64bit (same goes for both 32bit).

HTH,
Markus

Re: IO PACKAGE and JAVA

Octave - General mailing list
steph wrote
> I am getting this message:
>
> Detected XLS interfaces: warning:  No Java support found (no Java JRE or
> JDK?)
> warning: called from
>      getxlsinterfaces at line 122 column 11
>      xlsopen at line 262 column 17
>      xlsread at line 233 column 11

In upcoming io-2.6.0 these messages are silenced by default. It's been on
the release tracker for quite a while now, hopefully it is released soon.

Philip

Re: IO PACKAGE and JAVA

steph

On 2020/03/22 18:12, "Markus Mützel" wrote:

> Am 22. März 2020 um 17:00 Uhr schrieb "Steph Bredenhann":
>> On 2020/03/22 17:08, Debajyoti Datta wrote:
>>> I also get this, but this does not interrupt normal operations. Are you trying to plot data from excel sheet ??

>> Hi
>>
>> We must keep the help list informed.
>>
>> It does not interrupt normal operations, true, but I write results (normal text) to the command window and this unnecessary feedback clutter my output. If I can make IO recognise the JAVA path then I can use my output sensibly.
> The io package should be able to detect the JRE automatically on Windows (in most cases). Keep in mind that the bit-ness of Octave and the JRE must match. So if you use Octave 64bit, you need to install Java 64bit (same goes for both 32bit).
>
> HTH,
> Markus

I have stated that I use Ubuntu 18.04 (Linux)

I'll check the bitness

Re: IO PACKAGE and JAVA

mmuetzel
Am 22. März 2020 um 18:31 Uhr schrieb "Steph Bredenhann">
> I have stated that I use Ubuntu 18.04 (Linux)
>
> I'll check the bitness

Sorry. I misread.

Re: IO PACKAGE and JAVA

steph

On 2020/03/22 18:12, Philip Nienhuis via Help list for GNU Octave wrote:

> steph wrote
>> I am getting this message:
>>
>> Detected XLS interfaces: warning:  No Java support found (no Java JRE or
>> JDK?)
>> warning: called from
>>       getxlsinterfaces at line 122 column 11
>>       xlsopen at line 262 column 17
>>       xlsread at line 233 column 11
> In upcoming io-2.6.0 these messages are silenced by default. It's been on
> the release tracker for quite a while now, hopefully it is released soon.
>
> Philip
>

> --
> Sent from: https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-General-f1599825.html

thanks Philip, I am watching the release space, just thought I must do
something with my JAVA installation too. I have Ubuntu x64 and installed
Octave x64

Octave was configured for "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu".

I would then assume JAVA is also x64?

regards

Steph

Re: IO PACKAGE and JAVA

steph

On 2020/03/22 18:12, Philip Nienhuis via Help list for GNU Octave wrote:

> steph wrote
>> I am getting this message:
>>
>> Detected XLS interfaces: warning:  No Java support found (no Java JRE or
>> JDK?)
>> warning: called from
>>       getxlsinterfaces at line 122 column 11
>>       xlsopen at line 262 column 17
>>       xlsread at line 233 column 11
> In upcoming io-2.6.0 these messages are silenced by default. It's been on
> the release tracker for quite a while now, hopefully it is released soon.
>
> Philip
>

> --
> Sent from: https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-General-f1599825.html

I've just upgrade IO to 2.6.0, and now everything is not working, please
see below

warning: findstr is obsolete; use strfind instead
warning:  No Java support found (no Java JRE? no Java pkg installed AND
loaded?)
warning: called from
     getinterfaces at line 121 column 11
     xlsopen at line 299 column 14
     xlsread at line 331 column 11
     fn_read_BBR_RTFO_PAV1_data at line 14 column 11
     VE_BBR at line 81 column 61
warning: xlsopen: no'.xlsx' spreadsheet I/O support with available
interfaces.
error: datMC(6,_): but datMC has size 0x0
error: called from
     fn_read_BBR_RTFO_PAV1_data at line 26 column 20
     VE_BBR at line 81 column 61
 >> pkg describe io
---
Package name:
         io
Version:
         2.6.0
Short description:
         Input/Output in external formats.

Re: IO PACKAGE and JAVA

PhilipNienhuis
steph wrote

> On 2020/03/22 18:12, Philip Nienhuis via Help list for GNU Octave wrote:
>> steph wrote
>>> I am getting this message:
>>>
>>> Detected XLS interfaces: warning:  No Java support found (no Java JRE or
>>> JDK?)
>>> warning: called from
>>>       getxlsinterfaces at line 122 column 11
>>>       xlsopen at line 262 column 17
>>>       xlsread at line 233 column 11
>> In upcoming io-2.6.0 these messages are silenced by default. It's been on
>> the release tracker for quite a while now, hopefully it is released soon.
>>
>> Philip
>>

>> --
>> Sent from:
>> https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-General-f1599825.html
>>

> I've just upgrade IO to 2.6.0, and now everything is not working, please
> see below
>
> warning: findstr is obsolete; use strfind instead
> warning:  No Java support found (no Java JRE? no Java pkg installed AND
> loaded?)
> warning: called from
>      getinterfaces at line 121 column 11
>      xlsopen at line 299 column 14
>      xlsread at line 331 column 11
>      fn_read_BBR_RTFO_PAV1_data at line 14 column 11
>      VE_BBR at line 81 column 61
> warning: xlsopen: no'.xlsx' spreadsheet I/O support with available
> interfaces.
> <snipped>

Yeah that's not good, sorry for that.

There has been a large code shuffle under the hood, so something creeped in
along the way.
Calls to findstr() shoudn't have been there AFAICR I've dropped those calls
some time ago.

So please do the following to help me figure this out:

(1)
In your Octave installation, what is the output of
__have-feature__ ("JAVA")
?

(2)
Doing this:

cd (strrep (which ("xlsread"), "xlsread.m", "private"))
addpath (pwd)
edit getinterfaces.m

and then, in L.56 (empty line) of getinterfaces.m, insert the statement:
  has_java = 0;

so that it looks like

:
  if (isempty (has_java))
    has_java = __have_feature__ ("JAVA");
  endif
  has-java = 0;
  if  (isempty (interfaces.COM) && isempty (interfaces.JXL) ...
:

save getinterfaces.m

and try your code again, what do you get?

Philip

Re: IO PACKAGE and JAVA

PhilipNienhuis
steph wrote

> On 2020/03/22 18:12, Philip Nienhuis via Help list for GNU Octave wrote:
>> steph wrote
>>> I am getting this message:
>>>
>>> Detected XLS interfaces: warning:  No Java support found (no Java JRE or
>>> JDK?)
>>> warning: called from
>>>       getxlsinterfaces at line 122 column 11
>>>       xlsopen at line 262 column 17
>>>       xlsread at line 233 column 11
>> In upcoming io-2.6.0 these messages are silenced by default. It's been on
>> the release tracker for quite a while now, hopefully it is released soon.
>>
>> Philip
>>

>> --
>> Sent from:
>> https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-General-f1599825.html
>>

> thanks Philip, I am watching the release space, just thought I must do
> something with my JAVA installation too. I have Ubuntu x64 and installed
> Octave x64
>
> Octave was configured for "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu".
>
> I would then assume JAVA is also x64?
>
> regards
>
> Steph

In the mean time I replied to your earlier message.
Please let's keep this in one single thread, not a distributed one :-)

Philip

Re: IO PACKAGE and JAVA

PhilipNienhuis
PhilipNienhuis wrote

> steph wrote
>> On 2020/03/22 18:12, Philip Nienhuis via Help list for GNU Octave wrote:
>>> steph wrote

>>> In upcoming io-2.6.0 these messages are silenced by default. It's been
>>> on
>>> the release tracker for quite a while now, hopefully it is released
>>> soon.
>>>
>>> Philip
>>>

>>> --
>>> Sent from:
>>> https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-General-f1599825.html
>>>

>> I've just upgrade IO to 2.6.0, and now everything is not working, please
>> see below
>>
>> warning: findstr is obsolete; use strfind instead
>> warning:  No Java support found (no Java JRE? no Java pkg installed AND
>> loaded?)
>> warning: called from
>>      getinterfaces at line 121 column 11
>>      xlsopen at line 299 column 14
>>      xlsread at line 331 column 11
>>      fn_read_BBR_RTFO_PAV1_data at line 14 column 11
>>      VE_BBR at line 81 column 61
>> warning: xlsopen: no'.xlsx' spreadsheet I/O support with available
>> interfaces.
>>
> <snipped>
>
> Yeah that's not good, sorry for that.
>
> There has been a large code shuffle under the hood, so something creeped
> in
> along the way.
> Calls to findstr() shoudn't have been there AFAICR I've dropped those
> calls
> some time ago.
>
> So please do the following to help me figure this out:
>
> (1)
> In your Octave installation, what is the output of
> __have-feature__ ("JAVA")
> ?
>
> (2)
> Doing this:
>
> cd (strrep (which ("xlsread"), "xlsread.m", "private"))
> addpath (pwd)
> edit getinterfaces.m
>
> and then, in L.56 (empty line) of getinterfaces.m, insert the statement:
>   has_java = 0;
>
> so that it looks like
>
> :
>   if (isempty (has_java))
>     has_java = __have_feature__ ("JAVA");
>   endif
>   has-java = 0;
>   if  (isempty (interfaces.COM) && isempty (interfaces.JXL) ...
> :
>
> save getinterfaces.m

> and try your code again, what do you get?
>
> Philip

your Octave installations don't match. A 64-bit Octave can only work with a
64 bit Java, similar for 32-bit versions.
I'll try to adapt the io package's error / warning messages to draw
attention to that, as far as practically feasible.

Tonight I have further time to investigate.

Philip

RE: IO PACKAGE and JAVA

steph
>> On 2020/03/22 18:12, Philip Nienhuis via Help list for GNU Octave wrote:
>>> steph wrote

>>> In upcoming io-2.6.0 these messages are silenced by default. It's
>>> been on the release tracker for quite a while now, hopefully it is
>>> released soon.
>>>
>>> Philip
>>>

>>> --
>>> Sent from:
>>> https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-General-f1599825.html
>>>

>> I've just upgrade IO to 2.6.0, and now everything is not working,
>> please see below
>>
>> warning: findstr is obsolete; use strfind instead
>> warning:  No Java support found (no Java JRE? no Java pkg installed
>> AND
>> loaded?)
>> warning: called from
>>      getinterfaces at line 121 column 11
>>      xlsopen at line 299 column 14
>>      xlsread at line 331 column 11
>>      fn_read_BBR_RTFO_PAV1_data at line 14 column 11
>>      VE_BBR at line 81 column 61
>> warning: xlsopen: no'.xlsx' spreadsheet I/O support with available
>> interfaces.
>>
> <snipped>
>
> Yeah that's not good, sorry for that.
>
> There has been a large code shuffle under the hood, so something
> creeped in along the way.
> Calls to findstr() shoudn't have been there AFAICR I've dropped those
> calls some time ago.
>
> So please do the following to help me figure this out:
>
> (1)
> In your Octave installation, what is the output of __have-feature__
> ("JAVA") ?
>
> (2)
> Doing this:
>
> cd (strrep (which ("xlsread"), "xlsread.m", "private")) addpath (pwd)
> edit getinterfaces.m
>
> and then, in L.56 (empty line) of getinterfaces.m, insert the statement:
>   has_java = 0;
>
> so that it looks like
>
> :
>   if (isempty (has_java))
>     has_java = __have_feature__ ("JAVA");
>   endif
>   has-java = 0;
>   if  (isempty (interfaces.COM) && isempty (interfaces.JXL) ...
> :
>
> save getinterfaces.m

> and try your code again, what do you get?
>
> Philip

64 bit Java, similar for 32-bit versions.
I'll try to adapt the io package's error / warning messages to draw attention to that, as far as practically feasible.

Tonight I have further time to investigate.

Philip

Hi Phillip

Just got back to my PC, I'll attend to your requests later and report back.

RE: IO PACKAGE and JAVA

PhilipNienhuis
steph wrote

In the mean time I think I have figured out what goes wrong.
Until a new io release is out, a workaround for this would be to add the OCT
interface to your xlsread call as follows:

... = xlsread ('<filename>', '<worksheetname>', '<range>', "oct")

(where <worksheetname> and/or <range> can be left blank for default values
(first worksheet and all data).

Philip

Re: IO PACKAGE and JAVA

steph

On 2020/03/24 22:36, PhilipNienhuis wrote:

> steph wrote

Good evening Philip

I have JAVA x64 installed, see below:

steph@sjb-pc:$ java -version
openjdk version "11.0.6" 2020-01-14
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.6+10-post-Ubuntu-1ubuntu118.04.1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.6+10-post-Ubuntu-1ubuntu118.04.1,
mixed mode, sharing)

I have implemented workaround, see below:

datMC = xlsread(Fname,SheetName, '', "oct");

As far as I can see the read is fine and the JAVA message disappeared
altogether!

Thanks for help, let me know if I can help you with something.

Regards

Steph