Indices in octave.pdf fail?

Rik-4
Is anyone else seeing this problem with the Octave manual on the
development branch?

If I go to the page for the Concept Index or Function Index or ... I find
just this bit of text

(Skipped sorted index file in obsolete format)

It was cumbersome, but I used hg bisect to track it down to this changeset

changeset:   27780:0dad96574d12
user:        Rik <[hidden email]>
date:        Fri Dec 06 11:24:16 2019 -0800
summary:     maint: update gnulib ahead of 6.1 release.

Do we need to back this changeset out?  Should we update gnulib again in
case they have fixed whatever interaction there is with Texinfo?

--Rik

Re: Indices in octave.pdf fail?

Dmitri A. Sergatskov

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 1:15 PM Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is anyone else seeing this problem with the Octave manual on the
development branch?

If I go to the page for the Concept Index or Function Index or ... I find
just this bit of text

(Skipped sorted index file in obsolete format)

It was cumbersome, but I used hg bisect to track it down to this changeset

changeset:   27780:0dad96574d12
user:        Rik <[hidden email]>
date:        Fri Dec 06 11:24:16 2019 -0800
summary:     maint: update gnulib ahead of 6.1 release.

Do we need to back this changeset out?  Should we update gnulib again in
case they have fixed whatever interaction there is with Texinfo?

I see the same on Fedora.

--Rik

Dmitri.

Re: Indices in octave.pdf fail?

Mike Miller-4
On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 14:49:32 -0500, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 1:15 PM Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Is anyone else seeing this problem with the Octave manual on the
> > development branch?
> >
> > If I go to the page for the Concept Index or Function Index or ... I find
> > just this bit of text
> >
> > (Skipped sorted index file in obsolete format)
> >
> > It was cumbersome, but I used hg bisect to track it down to this changeset
> >
> > changeset:   27780:0dad96574d12
> > user:        Rik <[hidden email]>
> > date:        Fri Dec 06 11:24:16 2019 -0800
> > summary:     maint: update gnulib ahead of 6.1 release.
> >
> > Do we need to back this changeset out?  Should we update gnulib again in
> > case they have fixed whatever interaction there is with Texinfo?
> >

> I see the same on Fedora.
No, the indices all look fine for me, built with Texinfo 6.7.

But I am also building with an external Gnulib git clone. Can you try
building with

    ./bootstrap --gnulib-srcdir=/path/to/other/gnulib

I'll try again with a copy of gnulib from hg.octave.org.

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 3:02 PM Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 14:49:32 -0500, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 1:15 PM Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Is anyone else seeing this problem with the Octave manual on the
> > development branch?
> >
> > If I go to the page for the Concept Index or Function Index or ... I find
> > just this bit of text
> >
> > (Skipped sorted index file in obsolete format)
> >
> > It was cumbersome, but I used hg bisect to track it down to this changeset
> >
> > changeset:   27780:0dad96574d12
> > user:        Rik <[hidden email]>
> > date:        Fri Dec 06 11:24:16 2019 -0800
> > summary:     maint: update gnulib ahead of 6.1 release.
> >
> > Do we need to back this changeset out?  Should we update gnulib again in
> > case they have fixed whatever interaction there is with Texinfo?
> >

> I see the same on Fedora.

No, the indices all look fine for me, built with Texinfo 6.7.

But I am also building with an external Gnulib git clone. Can you try
building with

    ./bootstrap --gnulib-srcdir=/path/to/other/gnulib

I'll try again with a copy of gnulib from hg.octave.org.

I upgraded texinfo from 6.6 to 6.7 and now all is fine.

Dmitri.

On 01/21/2020 12:25 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
Re: Indices in octave.pdf fail?
From:
"Dmitri A. Sergatskov" [hidden email]
Date:
01/21/2020 12:20 PM
To:
Mike Miller [hidden email]
CC:
octave-maintainers [hidden email]
Message:
4

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 3:02 PM Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 14:49:32 -0500, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 1:15 PM Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Is anyone else seeing this problem with the Octave manual on the
> > development branch?
> >
> > If I go to the page for the Concept Index or Function Index or ... I find
> > just this bit of text
> >
> > (Skipped sorted index file in obsolete format)
> >
> > It was cumbersome, but I used hg bisect to track it down to this changeset
> >
> > changeset:   27780:0dad96574d12
> > user:        Rik <[hidden email]>
> > date:        Fri Dec 06 11:24:16 2019 -0800
> > summary:     maint: update gnulib ahead of 6.1 release.
> >
> > Do we need to back this changeset out?  Should we update gnulib again in
> > case they have fixed whatever interaction there is with Texinfo?
> >

> I see the same on Fedora.

No, the indices all look fine for me, built with Texinfo 6.7.

But I am also building with an external Gnulib git clone. Can you try
building with

    ./bootstrap --gnulib-srcdir=/path/to/other/gnulib

I'll try again with a copy of gnulib from hg.octave.org.

I upgraded texinfo from 6.6 to 6.7 and now all is fine.

It's good that there is a quick workaround, but should we really require such a recent release (6.7 came out September 23rd, 2019) in order to build Octave?

Lots of machines won't have 6.7 for years.  Of course, since we distribute documentation in the tarball, this will principally affect developers, and not those doing just downloading, configuring, and making.

--Rik

--Rik

Re: Indices in octave.pdf fail? gnulib subrepo again

siko1056

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 3:02 PM Mike Miller wrote:

>     But I am also building with an external Gnulib git clone. Can you try
>     building with
>
>         ./bootstrap --gnulib-srcdir=/path/to/other/gnulib
>
>     I'll try again with a copy of gnulib from hg.octave.org
>     <http://hg.octave.org>.

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 14:49:32 -0500, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:

> I upgraded texinfo from 6.6 to 6.7 and now all is fine.

I am working with texinfo 6.5 and did not see this issue yet.  Maybe a
bug in texinfo 6.6?

On 1/22/20 5:51 AM, Rik wrote:

> Do we need to back this changeset out?
> Should we update gnulib again in case they have fixed whatever
> interaction there is with Texinfo?

As far as I know the gnulib mercurial clone of Octave

   https://hg.octave.org/gnulib

has never really been updated yet, due to a difficult update procedure
and only jwe might have push rights for Octave's gnulib hg subrepo.  It
is still at "c34f677e6117" (17 Mar 2019).

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-maintainers/2019-12/msg00037.html

The bigger decision was discussed at bug

   https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?57044

before last Christmas to finally get rid of this maintenance "monster"
Octave's gnulib hg subrepo.  Any objections against doing this change soon?

Kai

On 01/21/2020 05:42 PM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:

> On 1/22/20 5:51 AM, Rik wrote:
>> If I go to the page for the Concept Index or Function Index or ...
>> I find just this bit of text
>>
>> (Skipped sorted index file in obsolete format)
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 3:02 PM Mike Miller wrote:
>>     But I am also building with an external Gnulib git clone. Can you try
>>     building with
>>
>>         ./bootstrap --gnulib-srcdir=/path/to/other/gnulib
>>
>>     I'll try again with a copy of gnulib from hg.octave.org
>>     <http://hg.octave.org>.
>>
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 14:49:32 -0500, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:
>> I upgraded texinfo from 6.6 to 6.7 and now all is fine.
>
> I am working with texinfo 6.5 and did not see this issue yet.  Maybe a
> bug in texinfo 6.6?
>

> On 1/22/20 5:51 AM, Rik wrote:
>> Do we need to back this changeset out?
>> Should we update gnulib again in case they have fixed whatever
>> interaction there is with Texinfo?
> As far as I know the gnulib mercurial clone of Octave
>
>    https://hg.octave.org/gnulib
>
> has never really been updated yet, due to a difficult update procedure
> and only jwe might have push rights for Octave's gnulib hg subrepo.  It
> is still at "c34f677e6117" (17 Mar 2019).

I didn't realize that I had got it wrong.  Since the problem was the cset
that only partially updated gnulib, I just removed it.

changeset:   27989:d807d9ad64cf
bookmark:    @
tag:         tip
user:        Rik <[hidden email]>
date:        Wed Jan 22 11:43:13 2020 -0800
summary:     Backed out changeset 0dad96574d12 causing problems with Texinfo.

I also tried Mike's suggestion of cloning gnulib directly and running
bootstrap with --gnulib-srcdir and this worked too.

> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-maintainers/2019-12/msg00037.html
>
> The bigger decision was discussed at bug
>
>    https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?57044
>
> before last Christmas to finally get rid of this maintenance "monster"
> Octave's gnulib hg subrepo.  Any objections against doing this change soon?
I don't know enough about this so I'll let someone else make the decision.

--Rik

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 12:55:26 -0800, Rik wrote:
> I didn't realize that I had got it wrong.  Since the problem was the cset
> that only partially updated gnulib, I just removed it.

So what we have now is the gnulib subrepository rewound to its state
from December 2018. And that revision works for you. The update you made
a month ago updated to a gnulib state from March 2019, and that didn't
work for you.

> I also tried Mike's suggestion of cloning gnulib directly and running
> bootstrap with --gnulib-srcdir and this worked too.

So the current gnulib master branch *does* work for you? Sounds like it
was just a temporary problem with gnulib's texinfo.tex then, and we can
update past it?