Info reader & structures

Paul-176
Hello, I have two questions relating to Octave:

1) I have been unsuccessful getting emacs to be used as the info
reader.  I have downloaded gnuserv, and I have set INFO_READER =
'info-emacs-info' in my ~/.octaverc file.  I have also set the necessary
lines in my ~/.emacs file.  However, when I do that and type help -i, I
get the following message:

sh: info-emacs-info: command not found

Is there anything I have overlooked?

2) When a structure exists, is there a way to just see the element names
of the structure (as opposed to the data as well). For example, if I
have a structure x, with elements a, b, & c, I would like to simply type
x and just get a b c, not the values of a, b & c.  Is there a way to do
this?

Thanks for any responses,

Paul

Re: Info reader & structures

Martin Holz-2
Paul <[hidden email]> writes:

> 2) When a structure exists, is there a way to just see the element names
> of the structure (as opposed to the data as well). For example, if I
> have a structure x, with elements a, b, & c, I would like to simply type
> x and just get a b c, not the values of a, b & c.  Is there a way to do
> this?

>From the info file of 0ctave 2.0.5:

- Built-in Function:  struct_elements (STRUCT)
     Return a list of strings naming the elements of the structure
     STRUCT.  It is an error to call `struct_elements' with an argument
     that is not a structure.

Martin

Info reader & structures

John W. Eaton-6
On 16-Oct-1997, Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:

| 1) I have been unsuccessful getting emacs to be used as the info
| reader.  I have downloaded gnuserv, and I have set INFO_READER =
| 'info-emacs-info' in my ~/.octaverc file.  I have also set the necessary
| lines in my ~/.emacs file.  However, when I do that and type help -i, I
| get the following message:
|
| sh: info-emacs-info: command not found
|
| Is there anything I have overlooked?

You need to install the info-emacs-info shell script somewhere in
Octave's EXEC_PATH.  If you install Octave 2.0.9 from sources, this
should have already happened but it seems that I forgot about them
when building the binary distributions (should be fixed for 2.0.10).
In any case, info-emacs-info and info-emacs-octave-help may both be
found in the examples subdirectory in the source and binary
distributions.

jwe