Install package under Windows

Greg
Hello,

I'm having some problems installing some extensions, but using the "GUI Octave" package manager and the standard Octave CLI.

I've downloaded the Image package, and here is the result:

octave.exe:4> pkg install C:/Users/<user>/Desktop/image.tar.gz
make: *** [__spatial_filtering__.oct] Error -1
'make' returned the following error: make: Entering directory `C:/Users/<user>/AppData/Local/Temp/oct-3/image-1.0.15/src'
mkoctfile -Wall __spatial_filtering__.cc
make: Leaving directory `C:/Users/SURRGRE/AppData/Local/Temp/oct-3/image-1.0.15/src'
error: called from `pkg>configure_make' in file C:\Octave\share\octave\3.6.2\m\pkg\pkg.m near line 1385, column 9
error: called from:
error:   C:\Octave\share\octave\3.6.2\m\pkg\pkg.m at line 827, column 5
error:   C:\Octave\share\octave\3.6.2\m\pkg\pkg.m at line 383, column 9

I have already sucessfully installed packages on my home linux-based computer, but I had never tried on Windows. Do you have some ideas to get it working?

Here are my Octave install caracteristics (from the "welcome screen"):

GNU Octave, version 3.6.2
Octave was configured for "i686-pc-mingw32".
 - MSYS shell available (C:\Octave\msys).
 - Graphics backend: gnuplot.

Greg

Re: Install package under Windows

Michael Goffioul
On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Greg <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Is there any particular reason you're trying to recompile the image package instead of using the bundled pre-compiled version?

Michael.

Re: Install package under Windows

Greg
I didn't knew that there were pre-compiled packages. I simply went to http://octave.sourceforge.net/packages.php and clicked "Download" for the needed packages...

I will try Andy's solution as soon as I'm back on Windows!

Thanks

Greg

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 1:28 PM, Greg <[hidden email]> wrote:
I didn't knew that there were pre-compiled packages. I simply went to http://octave.sourceforge.net/packages.php and clicked "Download" for the needed packages...

I will try Andy's solution as soon as I'm back on Windows!

Both Windows versions of octave contains a large set of octave-forge packages. If you use the VS2010 version, there's a trick because none of the bundled packages (but the java one) is installed by default. When running the installer, when you have to select the component to install, expand the octave forge section and select the packages you want to install.

Michael.

Re: Install package under Windows

Greg
Yeah, I saw the check-boxes available for the VS2010, but I don't want to reinstall the whole Octave software to add a single package I didn't needed when I first did the installation. That's why I wanted to manually install more packages.

And for the MinGW version, I found no packages. The "pkg list" command says there is no packages installed. Maybe I'm again doing something wrong?

Thanks !

Greg

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 7:35 PM, Michael Goffioul <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 1:28 PM, Greg <[hidden email]> wrote:
I didn't knew that there were pre-compiled packages. I simply went to http://octave.sourceforge.net/packages.php and clicked "Download" for the needed packages...

I will try Andy's solution as soon as I'm back on Windows!

Both Windows versions of octave contains a large set of octave-forge packages. If you use the VS2010 version, there's a trick because none of the bundled packages (but the java one) is installed by default. When running the installer, when you have to select the component to install, expand the octave forge section and select the packages you want to install.

Michael.

Re: Install package under Windows

nitnit
For mingw you should download the sourceforge pkgs archive (http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20Windows%20binaries/Octave%203.6.2%20for%20Windows%20MinGW%20installer/Octave3.6.2_gcc4.6.2_pkgs_20120613.7z/download) and follow the instructions in the readme.

Nitzan

Greg wrote

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 5:34 AM, Greg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yeah, I saw the check-boxes available for the VS2010, but I don't want to reinstall the whole Octave software to add a single package I didn't needed when I first did the installation. That's why I wanted to manually install more packages.

The problem is that installing a package requires a proper build environment and the VS2010 compiler, then comes the trouble. Installation is quite straightforward using the installer, that shouldn't be a big trouble. Note that you can select all packages at installation, it doesn't mean they will loaded automatically by octave at startup (and you can easily override auto-loaded packages afterwards).

Michael.