Installing Octave 5.x on Ubuntu 18.04 using flatpack

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Installing Octave 5.x on Ubuntu 18.04 using flatpack

Jeffrey Layton
Good morning,

Has anyone tried the instructions for using flatpack to install Ocatve 5.x on Ubuntu?

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1135409/how-to-install-octave-5-on-ubuntu-18-04

I'm curious what experience people have had.

TIA!
Jeff


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Installing Octave 5.x on Ubuntu 18.04 using flatpack

John Frain

On Mon, 30 Mar 2020 at 13:33, Jeffrey Layton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Good morning,

Has anyone tried the instructions for using flatpack to install Ocatve 5.x on Ubuntu?

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1135409/how-to-install-octave-5-on-ubuntu-18-04

I'm curious what experience people have had.

TIA!
Jeff

I have installed flatpak Octave 5.2 on two Mint 19.3 PCs following the instructions on flathub ( https://flathub.org/apps ).  As Mint 19.3 is based on  Ubuntu 18.4 you should not have any problems.  I think that the flatpak infrastructure is already installed in the Mint distribution.  https://itsfoss.com/flatpak-guide/  explains how to check if it is installed in your distribution and is it is not how to install it.  It also gives details of the general use of flatpak. 
John C Frain, Ph.D.

Economics Department             3 Aranleigh Park
Trinity College Dublin                 Rathfarnham
College Green                           Dublin 14
Dublin 2                                    Ireland
Ireland

 


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Installing Octave 5.x on Ubuntu 18.04 using flatpack

phofman
Dne 30. 03. 20 v 17:52 John Frain napsal(a):

>
> On Mon, 30 Mar 2020 at 13:33, Jeffrey Layton <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Good morning,
>
>     Has anyone tried the instructions for using flatpack to install
>     Ocatve 5.x on Ubuntu?
>
>     https://askubuntu.com/questions/1135409/how-to-install-octave-5-on-ubuntu-18-04
>
>     I'm curious what experience people have had.
>
>     TIA!
>     Jeff
>
> I have installed flatpak Octave 5.2 on two Mint 19.3 PCs following the
> instructions on flathub ( https://flathub.org/apps ).  As Mint 19.3 is
> based on  Ubuntu 18.4 you should not have any problems.  I think that
> the flatpak infrastructure is already installed in the Mint
> distribution.  https://itsfoss.com/flatpak-guide/  explains how to check
> if it is installed in your distribution and is it is not how to install
> it.  It also gives details of the general use of flatpak.

I tried to compile packages not distributed in the flac, and logically
octave did not see development headers of the libraries required. The
flatpack distribution falls short due to this IMO important issue.

Pavel.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Installing Octave 5.x on Ubuntu 18.04 using flatpack

John Frain

John C Frain, Ph.D.

Economics Department             3 Aranleigh Park
Trinity College Dublin                 Rathfarnham
College Green                           Dublin 14
Dublin 2                                    Ireland
Ireland


On Mon, 30 Mar 2020 at 17:27, Pavel Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dne 30. 03. 20 v 17:52 John Frain napsal(a):
>
> On Mon, 30 Mar 2020 at 13:33, Jeffrey Layton <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Good morning,
>
>     Has anyone tried the instructions for using flatpack to install
>     Ocatve 5.x on Ubuntu?
>
>     https://askubuntu.com/questions/1135409/how-to-install-octave-5-on-ubuntu-18-04
>
>     I'm curious what experience people have had.
>
>     TIA!
>     Jeff
>
> I have installed flatpak Octave 5.2 on two Mint 19.3 PCs following the
> instructions on flathub ( https://flathub.org/apps ).  As Mint 19.3 is
> based on  Ubuntu 18.4 you should not have any problems.  I think that
> the flatpak infrastructure is already installed in the Mint
> distribution.  https://itsfoss.com/flatpak-guide/  explains how to check
> if it is installed in your distribution and is it is not how to install
> it.  It also gives details of the general use of flatpak.

I tried to compile packages not distributed in the flac, and logically
octave did not see development headers of the libraries required. The
flatpack distribution falls short due to this IMO important issue.

Pavel.

I have definitely installed packages using

pkg install -forge package_name 

and I presumed that these came from octave forge.  Are you telling me that such files come from the flatpak distribution?  I have also used flatpak update. if I run pkg list now I get

>> pkg list
Package Name  | Version | Installation directory
--------------+---------+-----------------------
   dataframe  |   1.2.0 | /home/frainj/octave/dataframe-1.2.0
econometrics  |   1.1.2 | /home/frainj/octave/econometrics-1.1.2
   financial  |   0.5.3 | /home/frainj/octave/financial-0.5.3
          io *|   2.6.0 | /home/frainj/octave/io-2.6.0
       optim  |   1.6.0 | /home/frainj/octave/optim-1.6.0
  statistics *|   1.4.1 | /home/frainj/octave/statistics-1.4.1
      struct  |  1.0.16 | /home/frainj/octave/struct-1.0.16
>>


John C Frain, Ph.D.

Economics Department             3 Aranleigh Park
Trinity College Dublin                 Rathfarnham
College Green                           Dublin 14
Dublin 2                                    Ireland
Ireland
 


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Installing Octave 5.x on Ubuntu 18.04 using flatpack

phofman

Dne 30. 03. 20 v 21:33 John Frain napsal(a):

>
> John C Frain, Ph.D.
>
> Economics Department             3 Aranleigh Park
> Trinity College Dublin                 Rathfarnham
> College Green                           Dublin 14
> Dublin 2                                    Ireland
> Ireland
> www.tcd.ie/Economics/staff/frainj/home.htm
> <http://www.tcd.ie/Economics/staff/frainj/home.htm>
> mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
>
> On Mon, 30 Mar 2020 at 17:27, Pavel Hofman <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Dne 30. 03. 20 v 17:52 John Frain napsal(a):
>     >
>     > On Mon, 30 Mar 2020 at 13:33, Jeffrey Layton <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     Good morning,
>     >
>     >     Has anyone tried the instructions for using flatpack to install
>     >     Ocatve 5.x on Ubuntu?
>     >
>     >   
>      https://askubuntu.com/questions/1135409/how-to-install-octave-5-on-ubuntu-18-04
>     >
>     >     I'm curious what experience people have had.
>     >
>     >     TIA!
>     >     Jeff
>     >
>     > I have installed flatpak Octave 5.2 on two Mint 19.3 PCs following the
>     > instructions on flathub ( https://flathub.org/apps ).  As Mint 19.3 is
>     > based on  Ubuntu 18.4 you should not have any problems.  I think that
>     > the flatpak infrastructure is already installed in the Mint
>     > distribution.  https://itsfoss.com/flatpak-guide/  explains how to
>     check
>     > if it is installed in your distribution and is it is not how to
>     install
>     > it.  It also gives details of the general use of flatpak.
>
>     I tried to compile packages not distributed in the flac, and logically
>     octave did not see development headers of the libraries required. The
>     flatpack distribution falls short due to this IMO important issue.
>
>     Pavel.
>
>
> I have definitely installed packages using
>
> pkg install -forge package_name 
>
> and I presumed that these came from octave forge.  Are you telling me
> that such files come from the flatpak distribution?  I have also used
> flatpak update. if I run pkg list now I get
>

I think the problem was with package database as it requires postgresql
headers to compile.

Best regards,

Pavel.