Installing image-acquisition toolbox in Windows 7

Installing image-acquisition toolbox in Windows 7

TUEstudent
Hi guys,

I am a new user of Octave, but quite experienced in Matlab. In Matlab i did some image processing which i would like to redo with Octave. After successful installation of the image package I ran into some trouble during the installation of image-acquisition package.

http://octave.sourceforge.net/image-acquisition/index.html

I am working on a windows 7 pc and I get this error during installation
pkg install C:\Users\s106777\Downloads\image-acquisition-0.2.2.tar.gz

configure: error: unable to find the v4l2_open() function
checking for g++... g++
checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.exe
checking for suffix of executables... .exe
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking for mkoctfile... yes
checking for fltk-config... /usr/bin/fltk-config
checking for v4l2_open in -lv4l2... no

pkg: error running the configure script for image-acquisition.
error: called from 'configure_make' in file C:\Octave\Octave-4.0.2\share\octave\4.0.2\m\pkg\private\configure_make.m near line 79, column 9

similar to discussed here.

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/image-acquisition-0-2-2-released-td4669978.html

There the following solution is posed.
'' Installing libv4l-dev fixed this.  ''

I tried to find out how to do this, but came up short. Furthermore, it seems like this a Linux related solution? But I'm not certain of that.

All suggestions are welcome,

Thanks in advance,
Jeroen

Re: Installing image-acquisition toolbox in Windows 7

PhilipNienhuis
TUEstudent wrote
[...]

The "configure: error: unable to find the v4l2_open() function" smells of a missing dependency, i.e., v4l (Video for Linux) dev package.

And there you go then: this package probably isn't available on Windows.
Have a search for "mingw v4l", maybe someone has built it. Even if that is the case, you might need to rebuild the v4l dependencies (library + headers) using tools matching what Octave was built with. Doesn't look like an easy job.

These days Octave for Windows is cross-compiled and built on linux using mxe-octave. To me it looks a lot easier to use that environment for building the missing dependency. But I'm afraid you are on your own.

Philip

Thank you for your response. Since it does not seem to be an easy fix, I'll look into switching to a different operating system.

Re: Installing image-acquisition toolbox in Windows 7

PhilipNienhuis
TUEstudent wrote
Thank you for your response. Since it does not seem to be an easy fix, I'll look into switching to a different operating system.
I wonder if v4l isn't in the mxe-octave cross-built binaries, in the ffmpeg library. But I'm unsure of that.

Philip