Installing instrument control package

martinhedegaard
Hi,
I'm trying to install the instrument control package and have gotten both
the ib.h file and the libgpib.a files, following the wiki.
However when i run pkg install -verbose -forge instrument-control i cannot
get the gpib utilities and get the following output:
checking for library containing _head_lib64_libws2_32_a... -lws2_32
checking gpib/ib.h usability... yes
checking gpib/ib.h presence... yes
checking for gpib/ib.h... yes
checking for library containing ibrd... no

What am I doing wrong here since gpib will not be installed?

Best regards
Martin

RE: Installing instrument control package

John Donoghue-3

> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 04:29:22 -0500 (CDT)
> From: martinhedegaard <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Installing instrument control package
>
> Hi,
> I'm trying to install the instrument control package and have gotten both
> the ib.h file and the libgpib.a files, following the wiki.
> However when i run pkg install -verbose -forge instrument-control i cannot
> get the gpib utilities and get the following output:
> checking for library containing _head_lib64_libws2_32_a... -lws2_32
> checking gpib/ib.h usability... yes
> checking gpib/ib.h presence... yes
> checking for gpib/ib.h... yes
> checking for library containing ibrd... no
>
> What am I doing wrong here since gpib will not be installed?
>
> Best regards
> Martin

Which OS,  which version of octave?
Im assuming the OS is windows by the checks above, from the installer/zip or
Cygwin ?

RE: Installing instrument control package

martinhedegaard
Hi John

I am on windows 10 and using octave 4.4.1
Is there something I should change?

RE: Installing instrument control package

John Donoghue-3

> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 06:35:30 -0500 (CDT)
> From: martinhedegaard <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: RE: Installing instrument control package
>
> Hi John
>
> I am on windows 10 and using octave 4.4.1
> Is there something I should change?

I don't have 4.4.1 (installed from the installer) on my computer, but have
4.4.0 and it worked.

To verify:
1. create a script somewhere (lets calls it fake_linux_gpib.sh) that has the
content of the script from the wiki. (you don't need/shouldnt to modify the
INSTALL_BASE variable)
2. open a bash shell from the octave 4.4.1 menus
3. in the bash shell, cd to where the script was created and run the script
created in 1.  ./fake_linux_gpib.sh
3. in the bash shell, verify the files were created:
ls /usr/include/gpib - should show the ib.h file
ls /usr/lib/libgpib.a - should show the lib file
4. open octave 4.4.1, and run  pkg install -forge -verbose
instrument-control
It should detect the .h and lib file correctly and install ok

RE: Installing instrument control package

martinhedegaard
Hi,
I did what you said and created a script. cd to where it was and ran it, and
got the following output from the bash terminal:
./fake_linux_gpib.sh: line 3: $'\r': command not found
./fake_linux_gpib.sh: line 8: $'\r': command not found
./fake_linux_gpib.sh: line 18: $'\r': command not found
./fake_linux_gpib.sh: line 22: $'\r': command not found
/include/gpib/ib.h: No such file or directory
: No such file or directory
./fake_linux_gpib.sh: line 27: syntax error near unexpected token `|'
'/fake_linux_gpib.sh: line 27: `  | sed "s/^.*NI488CC  *//" \

I only copy pasted what was on the wiki into a file so i don't understand
what goes wrong here. also i cant find the /usr folder, in my octave
directory i got an x86_64-w64-mingw32 folder. I know that if i run not as
admin i cannot create the folders however this is the first time i have
encountered these issues.

I already have an ib.h file and a libgpib.a file created in another folder i
just need to figure out why the libgpib.a file is not found when i try to
install instrument-control package. if i put in ib.h in the include folder
in octave 4.4.1 when i run the install the make file finds it however it
cannot find the libgpib.a file pasted into the lib folder.

RE: Installing instrument control package

tmacchant
--- mhn

> Hi,
> I did what you said and created a script. cd to where it was and ran it, and
> got the following output from the bash terminal:
> ./fake_linux_gpib.sh: line 3: $'\r': command not found
> ./fake_linux_gpib.sh: line 8: $'\r': command not found
> ./fake_linux_gpib.sh: line 18: $'\r': command not found
> ./fake_linux_gpib.sh: line 22: $'\r': command not found
> /include/gpib/ib.h: No such file or directory
> : No such file or directory
> ./fake_linux_gpib.sh: line 27: syntax error near unexpected token `|'
> '/fake_linux_gpib.sh: line 27: `  | sed "s/^.*NI488CC  *//" \
>

> I only copy pasted what was on the wiki into a file so i don't understand
> what goes wrong here. also i cant find the /usr folder, in my octave
> directory i got an x86_64-w64-mingw32 folder. I know that if i run not as
> admin i cannot create the folders however this is the first time i have
> encountered these issues.
>
> I already have an ib.h file and a libgpib.a file created in another folder i
> just need to figure out why the libgpib.a file is not found when i try to
> install instrument-control package. if i put in ib.h in the include folder
> in octave 4.4.1 when i run the install the make file finds it however it
> cannot find the libgpib.a file pasted into the lib folder

Is the below help you?

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/GPIB-on-cygwin-tp4691879p4691915.html

Tatsuro

RE: Installing instrument control package

John Donoghue-3
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2019 02:26:44 -0500 (CDT)
> From: martinhedegaard <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: RE: Installing instrument control package
>
> Hi,
> I did what you said and created a script. cd to where it was and ran it,
and

> got the following output from the bash terminal:
> ./fake_linux_gpib.sh: line 3: $'\r': command not found
> ./fake_linux_gpib.sh: line 8: $'\r': command not found
> ./fake_linux_gpib.sh: line 18: $'\r': command not found
> ./fake_linux_gpib.sh: line 22: $'\r': command not found
> /include/gpib/ib.h: No such file or directory
> : No such file or directory
> ./fake_linux_gpib.sh: line 27: syntax error near unexpected token `|'
> '/fake_linux_gpib.sh: line 27: `  | sed "s/^.*NI488CC  *//" \
>

> I only copy pasted what was on the wiki into a file so i don't understand
> what goes wrong here. also i cant find the /usr folder, in my octave
> directory i got an x86_64-w64-mingw32 folder. I know that if i run not as
> admin i cannot create the folders however this is the first time i have
> encountered these issues.
>
> I already have an ib.h file and a libgpib.a file created in another folder
> just need to figure out why the libgpib.a file is not found when i try to
> install instrument-control package. if i put in ib.h in the include folder
> in octave 4.4.1 when i run the install the make file finds it however it
> cannot find the libgpib.a file pasted into the lib folder.

It sounds like when you copied it, it got some return character characters
in it - how did you create the script file ?

Octave is using 4.4 is using msys in windows to provide the unix commands,
and so is using the emulated file structure from that which translates the
/usr to the octave install directory,
So /usr/include is really the octaveinstalldir/include

RE: Installing instrument control package

martinhedegaard
Hi again

I tried too script it again and didn't get the errors however the directory
line executes but does not create the library, but no error in the code is
outputted only the next line gives no such file or directory error when i
try to run the copy of NI.h file to the ib.h file.

If i create just another directory and make a simple txt file i cannot
either from bash ls to it through:
ls /usr/include/test123/ib123.txt
if i cd to the correct folder /test123/ i can find the file... do you know
what the issue is here? i think this is what has caused my issues with the
instrument package install

br
Martin

Re: Installing instrument control package

tmacchant
> I tried too script it again and didn't get the errors however the directory
> line executes but does not create the library, but no error in the code is
> outputted only the next line gives no such file or directory error when i
> try to run the copy of NI.h file to the ib.h file.
>
> If i create just another directory and make a simple txt file i cannot
> either from bash ls to it through:
> ls /usr/include/test123/ib123.txt
> if i cd to the correct folder /test123/ i can find the file... do you know
> what the issue is here? i think this is what has caused my issues with the
> instrument package install
>
> br
> Martin

Did you see the below?

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/GPIB-on-cygwin-tp4691879p4691915.html

****************************

Thank you again for all the help!

In fact,  GPIB works under the Windows native version (mingw) as well.

I basically followed the same process:

1. Make a directory, e.g., in c:\Octave\Octave-4.4.1\include\gpib\, and put
ib.h in it.

2. Copy libgpib.a into c:\Octave\Octave-4.4.1\lib\.  (you can use the one
from cygwin or make a new one in mingw using dlltool)

3. In Octave, run
pkg install -forge instrument-control

****************************

Tatsuro

RE: Installing instrument control package

John Donoghue-3

> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 01:42:54 -0500 (CDT)
> From: martinhedegaard <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: RE: Installing instrument control package
>
> Hi again
>
> I tried too script it again and didn't get the errors however the
directory

> line executes but does not create the library, but no error in the code is
> outputted only the next line gives no such file or directory error when i
> try to run the copy of NI.h file to the ib.h file.
>
> If i create just another directory and make a simple txt file i cannot
> either from bash ls to it through:
> ls /usr/include/test123/ib123.txt
> if i cd to the correct folder /test123/ i can find the file... do you know
> what the issue is here? i think this is what has caused my issues with the
> instrument package install
>
> br
> Martin

I am not sure what you are meaning.

Can you provide a list of the steps and commands you did, inkling what
programs you used.