Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

12

Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

mesuron
As I can see Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and 10.10 do not have Octave Packages in Ubuntu software center as it in 10.04 LTS

When I am trying to install them through Octave terminal it failed due to restriction access copying files  without administrative privileges.

In order to install pkg I need to unpack them and manually copy them through Linux terminal. That is extremely time consuming.  Is any easy way to do it?

Why installation in Octave terminal do not pop up password window applying admin privileges to Octave application during installation.

I have started working in Linux and Octave just ricently.
Thanks

Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On 18 April 2012 18:11, mesuron <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As I can see Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and 10.10 do not have Octave Packages in Ubuntu
> software center as it in 10.04 LTS

Sigh, really? Debian recently worked really hard to make packages for
those, but I guess Ubuntu's release schedule didn't match up with
Debian's and now we will have to wait 6 more months for Ubuntu to get
the Debian packages.

However, I do see some Octave-Forge packages in Ubuntu, e.g.

    http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/octave-image
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/octave-control

Which Octave-Forge package do you want?

> In order to install pkg I need to unpack them and manually copy them through
> Linux terminal. That is extremely time consuming.  /Is any easy way to do
> it?/

If you want to install the packages from Octave-Forge and not use the
Ubuntu packaging, try e. g.

    pkg install -forge control

> Why installation in Octave terminal do not pop up password window applying
> admin privileges to Octave application during installation.

Because Octave can install packages to your homedir without needing
admin privileges. I'm not sure what are you doing exactly that is
causing Octave to fail due to not having admin privileges.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.

Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

mesuron
Jordi

Thanks for the respond. Task is simple. In order to install any package in any Ubuntu you need to copy files to restricted directory.
Octave terminal has to ask permission performing SUDO . It does not now.
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS solved this problem placing packages to Ubuntu Software Center and performing SUDO when it needed during installation. 10.10 and 12.04 LTS forgot about it.
BTW QT Octave has Octave Installation Manager but they forgot to do SUDO as well, so it doesn’t work as well.
I believe Octave itself need to perform SUDO if needed.

Thanks
Alexander Bakharev

Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2012 9:36 AM
Subject: Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Installing-packages-in-octave-on-Ubuntu-12-04-tp4569144p4570921.html
To unsubscribe from Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04, click here.
NAML

Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

mesuron
Jordi,

Please try it yourself and you will see what I mean. And why I need to install packages in Home directory if I need them in active Octave directory as it arranged in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
And another question. Why Octave has to install F-pkgs differently in different releases of Ubuntu? I am simple user of application and do not know much about different Linux OS structures.
Would be nice if you show me how to install package directly from Octave terminal in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS or 10.10 for example so loading it will not end up with message  “package is not installed”
Thanks
Alexander

Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2012 9:36 AM

NAML

On 20 April 2012 08:23, mesuron <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please try it yourself and you will see what I mean.

I don't have Ubuntu nor the inclination at presetn to install it to
see what you're talking about. I use Debian, and I believe Ubuntu uses
the Debian Octave packages without modification, so I

I need a precise description of what you're typing, what you're
seeing, and why you think you need admin privileges. When you do "pkg
forge -install control" inside Octave what are you seeing? You should
not need admin privileges to do this.

> And why I need to install packages in Home directory if I need them
> in active Octave directory as it arranged in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

I don't know what an active directory is. If you install packages in
your home directory using the pkg command, Octave will find these
packages

> And another question. Why Octave has to install F-pkgs differently
> in different releases of Ubuntu?

It doesn't. Each should be the same always. I don't understand what
problem you're facing.

There is nobody in Ubuntu creating or maintaining Octave packages. The
packagers are in Debian, and a couple of years ago the packager doing
most of the work, Rafael Laboissiere, retired. He recently temporarily
came out of retirement and through laudable effort, combined with
Thomas Weber and Sébastian Villemot, have finally updated the
Octave-Forge packages. But you can still use the old Octave packages
as packaged for Debian and which Ubuntu took.

> Would be nice if you show me how to install package directly from
> Octave terminal in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS or 10.10 for example so loading
> it will not end up with message  “package is not installed”

Where are you seeing this message? I don't believe Octave produces
such a message.

I don't understand what problems you're facing, so you need to give me
a very precise and thorough description.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

mesuron
Jordi,

I have no problems working in Octave in any Ubuntu versions.
As I mentioned before I just manually copied all packages files to usr/share/octave/packages directory.
You probably know that in order to do it I need admin privileges. That is how they built Ubuntu now!

In Ubuntu 10.04 LTS there were not any problems installing packages through Ubuntu Software Center. Center elevated installation manager to admin automatically if needed asking password.

There is no packages in any Ubuntu Software Center in versions 10.10 and latest 12.04 LTS!!!
They probably decided to take it out because there are QT Octave environment  proposed (similar to Matlab) that is really nice. QT Octave has packages installation manager  that seems like works correctly but is is not. It copies all files to TMP directory in File System but not moving to usr/share/octave/packages directory. Or probably it tries to move without success but not generating error message.

I tried to use usual way of packages installation through Octave terminal and it is obviously giving me a fail!!! With reason of impossibility to copy files to restricted usr/share/octave/packages directory without admin privileges.

That is why I am proposing to implement in Octave terminal the “SUDO manager”, or call is as you want, that will elevate Octave application to administrative privileges if needed.

I have never worked in Debain but in Ubuntu you can have TEMPORARY admin privileges only through “SUDO” command in OS terminal. Again! That is how they built Ubuntu and until you have not experienced working in different versions of  Ubuntu OSs it is impossible to understand what I am talking about.

Again. I am not a guru in Linux and just a simple user of Ubuntu Operating system using standard available application. But I love Octave and want to prefect myself using it in my business.

Thanks

Alexander Bakharev
President, Mesuron LLC
Tel: +1 518-5573510
http://www.mesuron.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/abakharev

IMPORTANT WARNING: This message is intended for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential, the disclosure of which is governed by applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this information is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this message in error, please notify us via [hidden email]

Sent: Friday, April 20, 2012 9:49 AM

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Installing-packages-in-octave-on-Ubuntu-12-04-tp4569144p4574029.html
To unsubscribe from Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04, click here.
NAML

Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
Please avoid sending HTML emails if possible. I prefer to read plain
text. Also please avoid top-posting. It's not informative to quote an
entire message and only adds cruft.

On 20 April 2012 11:26, mesuron <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As I mentioned before I just manually copied all packages files to
> usr/share/octave/packages directory.

This is not how you should be installing anything, ever. Or hardly
ever.

If you want to be installing Octave packages without using apt (i.e.
without using the Ubuntu packaging), you should be using Octave's pkg
install mechanism. If you run something like

    sudo octave -q --eval "pkg install -forge control"

then Octave will install the packages in that location. You shouldn't
be manually copying things into /usr/share.

> There is no packages in any Ubuntu Software Center in versions 10.10
> and latest 12.04 LTS!!!

The packages are in Ubuntu, e.g.

    http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/octave-communications

If you are not seeing them in Software Centre, you probably have some
sort of misconfigured thing in your apt sources. Have you enabled the
Universe repository?

> QT Octave has packages installation manager  that seems like works
> correctly but is is not.

Don't use QtOctave's packaging mechanism. It does not work. QtOctave
itself is also abandoned, so I recommend working without it.

> I tried to use usual way of packages installation through Octave
> terminal and it is obviously giving me a fail!!!

For the nth time, what exactly are you seeing? Copy and paste it to an
email. I don't understand what you're seeing. You've already tried to
describe it enough, now show it to me. Who is saying you need admin
privileges? Show me *exactly* what you're seeing.

> That is why I am proposing to implement in Octave terminal the “SUDO
> manager”, or call is as you want, that will elevate Octave
> application to administrative privileges if needed.

This is very much not needed. Octave can locally install packages
without admin privileges.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

mesuron
Jordi,
Thanks for prompt respond.

Thanks for the command line with elevation Octave application, or installer,
to admin privileges. Thanks, but I hardly could say I like it. I will
remember how to do it just for 5 -10 minutes. I have no time to learn
command script and its architecture to manipulate operating system. BTW,
SUDO is a disaster.
1. I love QT Octave! And even it has been abandoned, I would use it no
matter what for scrip development and testing. Even though installation
manager isn't working correctly I still use it to choose necessary packages.
Manager downloads all of them to TMP directory and unpack all of them as
well. Then it is just one line in terminal to copy all of them where it's
needed. I would appreciate if Ubuntu team will implement simple mouse
copy-paste procedure and asking password if user copies files to the
restricted area.
2. To whoever did QT Octave environment I am giving my deep respect and
many, many thanks! If Octave team will take it to maintain and improve it,
it will be exactly what REAL Octave user like me needed. QT environment is
no doubts the best idea ever visited a person who really cared about people
who is working on Octave. I mean it, and dozens friends of mine who is
working on Matlab now started to pay attention to Octave when I informed
them about QT environment.  You gays cannot ignore it, you guys have to take
it in serious consideration.
3. There are no Forge packages in "Ubuntu Software Center" in 12.04 LTS even
in freshly installed OS. Would be really nice if it would be included AGAIN.
I need to address it to Ubuntu team probably, include improvement copy-paste
procedure. Or I need to convince Octave team to get QT environment under
control and take care of it as of Octave itself.

Thanks again for the help and for free Octave and for free Forge packages.
Alexander

Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

Pablo Fernandez
I am new to octave too and I have just upgraded to ubuntu 12.04. But I
am not new to ubuntu so I'll chime in.

 I would appreciate if Ubuntu team will implement simple mouse
> copy-paste procedure and asking password if user copies files to the
> restricted area.

This is for text, not for files:

If you are used to the CTRL-C / CTRL-V keyboard shortcuts for
copy-pasting text, you have to add the SHIFT key to copy-paste from
and to the linux terminal. CTRL-C will terminate the process,
CTRL-SHIFT-C will copy the text.

You don't even need the keyboard shortcuts as you can copy-paste much
more efficiently by "select and drop" (select text as usual then drop
it with the middle button somewhere else) or "select and drag".

For files:

If you need to copy-paste or move files "the graphical way" to the
system above your home directory , you have to launch your file
browser with administrative privileges. "gksudo nautilus" or something
of the sort (it depends on your desktop environment).

> 3. There are no Forge packages in "Ubuntu Software Center" in 12.04 LTS even
> in freshly installed OS. Would be really nice if it would be included AGAIN.
> I need to address it to Ubuntu team probably, include improvement copy-paste
> procedure. Or I need to convince Octave team to get QT environment under
> control and take care of it as of Octave itself.

Yes there are, a bit hidden though. Look at the bottom border of the
software center window "Show technical elementes". Alternatively, use
the synaptic package manager.

> Thanks again for the help and for free Octave and for free Forge packages.
> Alexander

Jordi said:
Sigh, really?

Jordi, FYI:

$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=precise
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 12.04 LTS"

$ sudo dpkg -l | grep octave
[sudo] password for pablo:
ii  octave3.2                              3.2.4-12
            GNU Octave language for numerical computations (3.2
branch)
ii  octave3.2-common                       3.2.4-12
            architecture-independent files for octave3.2
rc  qtoctave                               0.10.1-1ubuntu1
            Qt front-end to Octave
$ sudo apt-get install octave-control
Leyendo lista de paquetes... Hecho
Creando árbol de dependencias
Leyendo la información de estado... Hecho
Se instalarán los siguientes paquetes NUEVOS:
  octave-control
0 actualizados, 1 se instalarán, 0 para eliminar y 0 no actualizados.
Necesito descargar 433 kB de archivos.
Se utilizarán 1.487 kB de espacio de disco adicional después de esta operación.
Des:1 http://es.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/universe
octave-control all 1.0.11-2 [433 kB]

Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

mesuron
Thanks Pablo,

>“If you need to copy-paste or move files "the graphical way" to the
>system above your home directory , you have to launch your file
>browser with administrative privileges. "gksudo nautilus" or something
>of the sort (it depends on your desktop environment). “

It works of cause and I call this action now "Ubuntu-Nautilus super way of
copying files."
It reminds me a jock. Why should we do everything simple way if we can make
it as complicated as we can!

I knew about "Nautilus" only from Jules Verne book and now it is connected
in my mind to Ubuntu OS.
Would not be nice don't know about it and just copy files from one location
to another with admin password if needed?

After my experience working with Octave and QT Octave in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
working in 12.04 LTS is confusing and required addition "unnecessary"
knowledge of details of guts of OS.

I believe that Octave application should prepare itself to be self
sufficient if you start it from any operating system without writing
sophisticated development code just in order to start it. It is just my
opinion.

Thanks again

On 23 April 2012 10:16, mesuron <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I believe that Octave application should prepare itself to be self
> sufficient if you start it from any operating system without writing
> sophisticated development code just in order to start it. It is just my
> opinion.

The problem is that you insist on installing Octave and its packages
in a way nobody recommends you do so, and you're complaining that the
non-recommended way to install it is awkward. Yes, that's why we don't
recommend it.

Also, despite me asking you three times, you never *showed* me what
you were doing and what was happening, i.e. copy-and-pasted whatever
error messages and commands you were typing.

Since you seem to be a fan of late 19th century European literature,
let me quote some Arthur Conan Doyle to you: "Data! Data! Data! I
cannot make bricks without clay."

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

mesuron

>The problem is that you insist on installing Octave and its packages

>in a way nobody recommends you do so, and you're complaining that the
>non-recommended way to install it is awkward. Yes, that's why we don't
>recommend it.
>
>Also, despite me asking you three times, you never *showed* me what
>you were doing and what was happening, i.e. copy-and-pasted whatever
>error messages and commands you were typing.
>
>Since you seem to be a fan of late 19th century European literature,
>let me quote some Arthur Conan Doyle to you: "Data! Data! Data! I
>cannot make bricks without clay."
>
>- Jordi G. H.”

Please read my messages carefully. I said I have no problem working  in Octave in Any Ubuntu environment.
Just in different versions of Ubuntu I had to install forge packages differently! As I’ve done it, it is through the ass, I agree, but it was fast and it worked.

BTW, t
he best intended  solution was in QT Octave but it does not work properly, and somehow you don’t like QT version! That is your personal choice of cause, a strange one, but OK. I
n Ubuntu 10.04 LTS I could install it without any questions through Ubuntu Software center. Wasn’t bad at all.
In Ubuntu 12.04 LTS I have to learn about installation procedure and writing code in Linux terminal and install packages one by one this way when I need almost half of all of them.  Thanks for QT Octave I do not need to do it!

Listen, No more complains.  If you believe that everything “all right'” then it is!
I do not believe now that my questions are even for Octave team. I am sure now that it’s for Ubuntu developers team....
Take care and I am done with questions.

Alexander

On 23 April 2012 12:32, mesuron <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I do not believe now that my questions are even for Octave team. I am sure
> now that it’s for Ubuntu developers team....

There is no Ubuntu developer team, at least, none that is working on
Octave. The Octave packages are maintained in Debian. Nobody is
maintaining them in Ubuntu.

I don't understand why you refuse to show me (i) what you're typing
and (ii) what you're seeing, despite me asking 4 (four) times now, but
suit yourself. I wasn't asking for explanations. I was asking for the
actual, raw data, not your interpretation of the data.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

mesuron

>There is no Ubuntu developer team, at least, none that is working on
>Octave. The Octave packages are maintained in Debian. Nobody is
>maintaining them in Ubuntu.
>
>I don't understand why you refuse to show me (i) what you're typing
>and (ii) what you're seeing, despite me asking 4 (four) times now, but
>suit yourself. I wasn't asking for explanations. I was asking for the
>actual, raw data, not your interpretation of the data.
>
>- Jordi G. H.

Jordi,
I have nothing to show you.
You have explained me how to install packages with elevating installation
procedure to admin privileges. It works. I can install package by package
now downloading them from Forge web site. I do not like it but who cares.

I prefer using next procedure:

1. Install QT Octave
2. Start forge packages installation manager
3. Choose all necessary packages, that is very convenient doing there.
4. They will be downloaded and unpacked in System “Temp” Directory. That
takes only 3-4 minutes.
5. Copy all of them to proper Octave directory under admin privileges. (I
had to learn how use terminal commands such as “sudo” and “copy”, hated it!)
6. Continue work in QT Octave doing your job and enjoying Matlab  like
environment.
Love it!

That is how I have done it some days ago and it works properly.
If you want to spend half of the day installing 25-30 packages one by one as
you suggested, that is OK as well.

Debain!? Interesting word!

Listen, I will finish my Octave project in 5 or 6 months and probably will
find a time to learn more about Dibain... or whatever related to Linux
environment but now Ubuntu environment became friendly enough to work with
application features instead of playing with Operating System.
Now I am deep in learning of loading (using) Octave liraries (*.ob) instead
of Widows (*.lib). That will take a while. Is any way converting LIB to OB?
Is any sample codes using it?
Take care and Thanks for your free support, I mean it!
Alexander

Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

Clyde
Jordi,

Under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

From the Octave manual, it tells me that I can download octave packages and install them simply with

for example...

pkg install controll-1.0.11.tar.gz

and I get Permission denied.

Attempting the same wtih pkg install -forge control

returns
warning: file -forge does not exist
warning: file control does not exist

Ubuntu software center knows nothing about Octave packages.

So, Now that I show you what I type, what do you think I am doing wrong?

Please advise.

Clyde

Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

Montgomery-Smith, Stephen
On 12/23/2012 06:01 PM, Clydee wrote:

> Jordi,
>
> Under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
>
>>From the Octave manual, it tells me that I can download octave packages and
> install them simply with
>
> for example...
>
> pkg install controll-1.0.11.tar.gz
>
> and I get Permission denied.
>
> Attempting the same wtih pkg install -forge control
>
> returns
> warning: file -forge does not exist
> warning: file control does not exist
>
> Ubuntu software center knows nothing about Octave packages.

Did you try the synaptics package manager?

I must admit that my experience is with ubuntu 10, not 12.

Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

Clyde
No, I had not.  I tried it, and indeed at least the control package, of which I had most interest was there, but hardly any others.  But now I want the image package and more...

I got my start with Ubuntu 10.10 and cannot recall having such trouble with it nor with 11.04.  Downloading packages from sourceforge and installing them directly used to work as did the synaptic package manager

It does somehow seem that with every new release, Canonical Supremely Succeeds in breaking many vital things, like, for instance wireless, or the desktop.

This is another example.

Further advice from anyone reading this thread will be welcome.

Clyde

Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

bpabbott

On Dec 23, 2012, at 7:22 PM, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:

> On 12/23/2012 06:01 PM, Clydee wrote:
>> Jordi,
>>
>> Under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
>>
>>> From the Octave manual, it tells me that I can download octave packages and
>> install them simply with
>>
>> for example...
>>
>> pkg install controll-1.0.11.tar.gz
>>
>> and I get Permission denied.
>>
>> Attempting the same wtih pkg install -forge control
>>
>> returns
>> warning: file -forge does not exist
>> warning: file control does not exist
>>
>> Ubuntu software center knows nothing about Octave packages.
>
> Did you try the synaptics package manager?
>
> I must admit that my experience is with ubuntu 10, not 12.

For Ubuntu 12, Synaptic was replaced by the "Ubuntu Software Center".   I don't see any of Octave's packages available from the Ubuntu Software Center.  I also don't see them listed by "dpkg --list".

I'm only a novice with Linux, so maybe I'm missing something?

Ben

On 12/23/2012 07:36 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Dec 23, 2012, at 7:22 PM, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
>
>> On 12/23/2012 06:01 PM, Clydee wrote:
>>> Jordi,
>>>
>>> Under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

>>> install them simply with
>>>
>>> for example...
>>>
>>> pkg install controll-1.0.11.tar.gz
>>>
>>> and I get Permission denied.
>>>
>>> Attempting the same wtih pkg install -forge control
>>>
>>> returns
>>> warning: file -forge does not exist
>>> warning: file control does not exist
>>>
>>> Ubuntu software center knows nothing about Octave packages.
>>
>> Did you try the synaptics package manager?
>>
>> I must admit that my experience is with ubuntu 10, not 12.
>
> For Ubuntu 12, Synaptic was replaced by the "Ubuntu Software Center".   I don't see any of Octave's packages available from the Ubuntu Software Center.  I also don't see them listed by "dpkg --list".
>
> I'm only a novice with Linux, so maybe I'm missing something?

So, it is probably my mistake.  Sorry.

I'll be honest, I only tried Ubuntu 12 for a short while.  I didn't like
it.  I dread the day that Ubuntu 10 stops their security updates.

On Dec 23, 2012, at 8:36 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Dec 23, 2012, at 7:22 PM, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
>
>> On 12/23/2012 06:01 PM, Clydee wrote:
>>> Jordi,
>>>
>>> Under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

>>> install them simply with
>>>
>>> for example...
>>>
>>> pkg install controll-1.0.11.tar.gz
>>>
>>> and I get Permission denied.
>>>
>>> Attempting the same wtih pkg install -forge control
>>>
>>> returns
>>> warning: file -forge does not exist
>>> warning: file control does not exist
>>>
>>> Ubuntu software center knows nothing about Octave packages.
>>
>> Did you try the synaptics package manager?
>>
>> I must admit that my experience is with ubuntu 10, not 12.
>
> For Ubuntu 12, Synaptic was replaced by the "Ubuntu Software Center".   I don't see any of Octave's packages available from the Ubuntu Software Center.  I also don't see them listed by "dpkg --list".
>
> I'm only a novice with Linux, so maybe I'm missing something?
>
> Ben

Opps ... I found the problem.  The Software Center filters the results.  To the right of the "All Software" icon/button at the top of the Software Center there is a pull down menu.  If "Provided by Ubuntu" is selected then Octave's packages show up ... the "All Software" name fooled me.  I had thought "all software" would be seen.

Ben

12