Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

12

Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

bpabbott
Administrator

On Dec 23, 2012, at 8:40 PM, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:

> On 12/23/2012 07:36 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

>>> Did you try the synaptics package manager?
>>>
>>> I must admit that my experience is with ubuntu 10, not 12.
>>
>> For Ubuntu 12, Synaptic was replaced by the "Ubuntu Software Center".   I don't see any of Octave's packages available from the Ubuntu Software Center.  I also don't see them listed by "dpkg --list".
>>
>> I'm only a novice with Linux, so maybe I'm missing something?
>
> So, it is probably my mistake.  Sorry.
>
> I'll be honest, I only tried Ubuntu 12 for a short while.  I didn't like
> it.  I dread the day that Ubuntu 10 stops their security updates.

Yeah, a lot changed from 10 to 12.  Since I'm not (yet) a big Linux user, I went ahead to move to 12.  Bit by bit I'm finding I like it.

Ben

Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

Montgomery-Smith, Stephen
On 12/23/2012 06:59 PM, Clydee wrote:

> No, I had not.  I tried it, and indeed at least the control package, of which
> I had most interest was there, but hardly any others.  But now I want the
> image package and more...
>
> I got my start with Ubuntu 10.10 and cannot recall having such trouble with
> it nor with 11.04.  Downloading packages from sourceforge and installing
> them directly used to work as did the synaptic package manager
>
> It does somehow seem that with every new release, Canonical Supremely
> Succeeds in breaking many vital things, like, for instance wireless, or the
> desktop.
>
> This is another example.
>
> Further advice from anyone reading this thread will be welcome.

Well take this advice as not well informed - all I have going for me is
that my last advice turned out to be mostly correct by coincidence.

But did you try running octave as root, i.e. do "sudo octave" and then
doing the "pkg install"?

Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

Carnë Draug
On 24 December 2012 00:10,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Message: 4
> Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 16:01:16 -0800 (PST)
> From: Clydee <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04
>
> Jordi,
>
> Under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
>
> >From the Octave manual, it tells me that I can download octave packages and
> install them simply with
>
> for example...
>
> pkg install controll-1.0.11.tar.gz
>
> and I get Permission denied.
>
> Attempting the same wtih pkg install -forge control
>
> returns
> warning: file -forge does not exist
> warning: file control does not exist
>
> Ubuntu software center knows nothing about Octave packages.
>
> So, Now that I show you what I type, what do you think I am doing wrong?
>
> Please advise.
>
> Clyde

Considering the error messages my guess is that you are using an old
octave version (probably 3.2.4) which does not accept the forge
option. You will need to download the packages yourself and install
them with "pkg install path_to_file". However, most packages will
require a more up to date version of octave. My recommendation is that
you upgrade it. See http://wiki.octave.org/Debian for the Octave PPA
or building from source.

Carnë

Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

Clyde
Thanks, Ben,

I found I had to take one more step and select a link in synaptic package manager to "Show 110 more Technical Items"

and then the list was fully populated with all of the packages.

Clyde

Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

Clyde
Sorry, Meant Ubuntu Software Center...

Clyde

Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

lukshuntim
On 12/24/2012 08:01 AM, Clydee wrote:

> Jordi,
>
> Under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
>
>>From the Octave manual, it tells me that I can download octave packages and
> install them simply with
>
> for example...
>
> pkg install controll-1.0.11.tar.gz
>
> and I get Permission denied.

Maybe you need to create/set a local install directory and use the
"-local" option. See "help pkg" and look for "-local" and "prefix".

Regards,
ST

Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

Clyde
Thanks to all who helped with packages.  I took the advice given by Carnë and built the code up from the source.  No real problems as I did apt-get build-octave3.2 to get all of the dependencies.

Now I can use the -forge option to get the packages.

Thanks again.

Clyde

Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

Montgomery-Smith, Stephen
On 12/23/2012 06:59 PM, Clydee wrote:

> No, I had not.  I tried it, and indeed at least the control package, of which
> I had most interest was there, but hardly any others.  But now I want the
> image package and more...
>
> I got my start with Ubuntu 10.10 and cannot recall having such trouble with
> it nor with 11.04.  Downloading packages from sourceforge and installing
> them directly used to work as did the synaptic package manager
>
> It does somehow seem that with every new release, Canonical Supremely
> Succeeds in breaking many vital things, like, for instance wireless, or the
> desktop.
>
> This is another example.
>
> Further advice from anyone reading this thread will be welcome.

OK, off topic.  But I just downloaded ubuntu 12.04 and then installed
the MATE window manager.  It looks just like GNOME with ubuntu 10.04!
And it even includes the synaptics package manager.

12