Installing windows icons

Rik-4

http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html

> The Windows icon is generated but not installed, it can be copied and
> used wherever it's needed by the mxe-octave build. It now contains
> multiple resolutions so it should scale correctly when used on Windows
> systems.

2/18/15

John D.,

Do you know where to put the icons on the Windows side with the NSIS installer?

--Rik

RE: Installing windows icons

John Donoghue-3

Currently the only ones being used is the .ico file used for the shortcuts which the script for the nsis installer does a search in installed files for the octave-logo.ico file (it was finding it in the share\octave\VERSION\imagelib) however as long as is the installed files somewhere will be fine.

There is (as mentioned previously) a copy in the installer-files directory of mxe-octave, which was being used for the nsis installer icon - that should be changed to get it from the where the generated icon is.

Re: Installing windows icons

Mike Miller
On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 14:15:16 -0500, JohnD wrote:
> Currently the only ones being used is the .ico file used for the shortcuts which the script for the nsis installer does a search in installed files for the octave-logo.ico file (it was finding it in the share\octave\VERSION\imagelib) however as long as is the installed files somewhere will be fine.
>
> There is (as mentioned previously) a copy in the installer-files directory of mxe-octave, which was being used for the nsis installer icon - that should be changed to get it from the where the generated icon is.

Does it have to be in the installed files or can you search for it in
the source or build directories also? Or can the script that creates
the installer find it elsewhere and copy it somewhere that nsis can
see?

The octave-logo.ico is being built but is no longer being installed to
the imagelib directory. The reason was that the ico format is only
needed for Windows, and the Windows packaging scripts should be able
to take care of putting the icon wherever it needs to be. But if we do
need to continue installing it, we can restore it to the imagelib
directory.

RE: Installing windows icons

John Donoghue-3

Either is needs to be 'installed' somewhere so that the nsis installer script has a place to find it, or the .mk scripts to build the octave sources in windows needs to copy the icon file somewhere after compiling octave so that the installer script can use it - either way is fine with me.

On 02/18/2015 02:35 PM, JohnD wrote:

> Either is needs to be 'installed' somewhere so that the nsis installer script has a place to find it, or the .mk scripts to build the octave sources in windows needs to copy the icon file somewhere after compiling octave so that the installer script can use it - either way is fine with me.

It seems to me that we might as well just put it back in the imagelib
directory.

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 14:45:00 -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 02/18/2015 02:35 PM, JohnD wrote:
>
>> Either is needs to be 'installed' somewhere so that the nsis installer
>> script has a place to find it, or the .mk scripts to build the octave
>> sources in windows needs to copy the icon file somewhere after compiling
>> octave so that the installer script can use it - either way is fine with me.
>

> It seems to me that we might as well just put it back in the imagelib
> directory.

Done:

  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/f87233a45901