Integrate Octave CLI on VSCode under Windows 10

Integrate Octave CLI on VSCode under Windows 10

EAlvarez
Hello again dear Octave community,

I have the following Problem. I am trying to integrate the Octave CLI
embedded into VSCode. So far I was able to integrate the CLI version of
Octave without the GUI support and therefore without the "qt" graphics
toolkit. I need the toolkit because I am building an app with the Octave
like GUIDE (Most recent release under Windows 5.1). Since this is not
supported, Octave would not render the app figure properly.

The shortcut created at the Octave installation CLI, do open the same
Terminal as if I was using the GUI. And after typing
*available_graphics_toolkits* i get all the toolkits including "qt". In the
\bin folder of Octave there is a octave-cli.exe file which opens fine and
can be embedded into VSCode. But where do i find the executable file for the
other terminal?

The only way that I was able to execute this, was on cmd by typing *octave
--no-gui* and setting the PATH before that. The Problem is that this is not
a standalone executable like the normal CLI provided in the Distribution.

Is there a way to get this working as an executable?

Thank you all in advance!

Re: Integrate Octave CLI on VSCode under Windows 10

mmuetzel
On 23 Sep 2019 09:06:53 EAlvarez wrote:

> Hello again dear Octave community,
>
> I have the following Problem. I am trying to integrate the Octave CLI
> embedded into VSCode. So far I was able to integrate the CLI version of
> Octave without the GUI support and therefore without the "qt" graphics
> toolkit. I need the toolkit because I am building an app with the Octave
> like GUIDE (Most recent release under Windows 5.1). Since this is not
> supported, Octave would not render the app figure properly.
>
> The shortcut created at the Octave installation CLI, do open the same
> Terminal as if I was using the GUI. And after typing
> *available_graphics_toolkits* i get all the toolkits including "qt". In the
> \bin folder of Octave there is a octave-cli.exe file which opens fine and
> can be embedded into VSCode. But where do i find the executable file for the
> other terminal?
>
> The only way that I was able to execute this, was on cmd by typing *octave
> --no-gui* and setting the PATH before that. The Problem is that this is not
> a standalone executable like the normal CLI provided in the Distribution.
>
> Is there a way to get this working as an executable?
>
> Thank you all in advance!

I am not familiar with VSCode. But you might want to have a look on "octave.vbs",
which we use to run Octave on Windows.
It basically sets some environment variables before calling
"octave-gui.exe --no-gui"

HTH,
Markus