Is there any free and NOT cloud based octave...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Is there any free and NOT cloud based octave...

Francisco Acosta (Google+)
Is there any free and NOT cloud based octave app for iOS?
View or comment on Francisco Acosta's post »
Google+ makes sharing on the web more like sharing in real life. Learn more.
Join Google+
You received this message because Francisco Acosta shared it with [hidden email]. Unsubscribe from these emails.
You can't reply to this email. View the post to add a comment.
Google Inc., 1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy, Mountain View, CA 94043 USA

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is there any free and NOT cloud based octave...

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
Noreply? Let's try to reply anyways.

On 5 June 2013 21:20, Francisco Acosta (Google+)
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there any free and NOT cloud based octave app for iOS?

All Octave copies should be free, so that Octave's users can also be
free. Octave copies can be commercial, but must remain free. If you
know of a non-free copy of Octave, please alert us, as this would be a
GPL violation.

iOS presents a particular problem, because it's a locked-down OS,
which does not allow its users to be free. There are ways to jailbreak
iOS, but Apple scares its customers into thinking that jailbreaking is
a harmful thing to do.

If you can jailbreak your iOS device, you might be able to find an
Octave copy for that device. I don't know of someone who makes it, but
the people who are making Mac OS X binaries might know.

- Jordi G. H.
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is there any free and NOT cloud based octave...

Søren Hauberg

On Jun 6, 2013, at 4:21 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Noreply? Let's try to reply anyways.
>
> On 5 June 2013 21:20, Francisco Acosta (Google+)
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Is there any free and NOT cloud based octave app for iOS?
>
> All Octave copies should be free, so that Octave's users can also be
> free. Octave copies can be commercial, but must remain free. If you
> know of a non-free copy of Octave, please alert us, as this would be a
> GPL violation.
>
> iOS presents a particular problem, because it's a locked-down OS,
> which does not allow its users to be free. There are ways to jailbreak
> iOS, but Apple scares its customers into thinking that jailbreaking is
> a harmful thing to do.
>
> If you can jailbreak your iOS device, you might be able to find an
> Octave copy for that device. I don't know of someone who makes it, but
> the people who are making Mac OS X binaries might know.

Also, as I understand things, Apple does not allow iOS app developers to build applications that execute scripted code. Browser developers cannot supply their own javascript engine, C# code has to be compiled and cannot be executed on a JIT, etc. Personally, I would find a mobile Octave app that doesn't allow you to execute scripts to be of little value -- what would it do? I could see some value in an app that allowed you to load and show plots, though.

Søren
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is there any free and NOT cloud based octave...

c.-2

On 6 Jun 2013, at 16:34, Søren Hauberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On Jun 6, 2013, at 4:21 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Noreply? Let's try to reply anyways.
>>
>> On 5 June 2013 21:20, Francisco Acosta (Google+)
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Is there any free and NOT cloud based octave app for iOS?
>>
>> All Octave copies should be free, so that Octave's users can also be
>> free. Octave copies can be commercial, but must remain free. If you
>> know of a non-free copy of Octave, please alert us, as this would be a
>> GPL violation.
>>
>> iOS presents a particular problem, because it's a locked-down OS,
>> which does not allow its users to be free. There are ways to jailbreak
>> iOS, but Apple scares its customers into thinking that jailbreaking is
>> a harmful thing to do.
>>
>> If you can jailbreak your iOS device, you might be able to find an
>> Octave copy for that device. I don't know of someone who makes it, but
>> the people who are making Mac OS X binaries might know.
>
> Also, as I understand things, Apple does not allow iOS app developers to build applications that execute scripted code. Browser developers cannot supply their own javascript engine, C# code has to be compiled and cannot be executed on a JIT, etc. Personally, I would find a mobile Octave app that doesn't allow you to execute scripts to be of little value -- what would it do? I could see some value in an app that allowed you to load and show plots, though.
>
> Søren

Guys,
I doubt the OP got your replies as the address in the reply-to field is:

[hidden email]

I wonder what's the point in posting a query from such an address …
c.

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is there any free and NOT cloud based octave...

steve53
In <[hidden email]>, on 06/06/13
   at 05:55 PM, "c." <[hidden email]> said:

Hi,

>I doubt the OP got your replies as the address in the reply-to field is:

>[hidden email]

Well, that's what happens when one does not read the orginal post
completely. :-)

>I wonder what's the point in posting a query from such an address   c.

You are supposed to "Accept the invitation to view the full post:" and
click on the link and join the discussion thread on goggle+.

As to why the OP decided to go this route rather than just joining the
octave-help list and posting directly, I can only speculate.

Steven

--
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Steven Levine" <[hidden email]>  eCS/Warp/DIY etc.
www.scoug.com www.ecomstation.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave