Issues with plot

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Issues with plot

awarmwalrus
When I try to use plot in octave, I get the following output:

"warning: could not match any font: *-normal-normal-10
warning: ft_render: unable to load appropriate font
... (repeated roughly 100 times)
warning: could not match any font: *-normal-normal-10
warning: ft_render: unable to load appropriate font
panic: Aborted -- stopping myself...
attempting to save variables to 'octave-workspace'...
save to 'octave-workspace' complete
Aborted (core dumped)"

Then it quits octave and returns me back to the terminal.
I am using Cygwin on a Windows 8 system.
I am using octave 3.8.1.
It doesn't seem to be that I'm missing any fonts because I do have etc/fonts.conf where it should be. But honestly I have no clue and it doesn't seem like anybody else is having this specific problem. Most other people who received the double warnings seemed to have additional errors and path configuration errors that provided some information. Any help is greatly appreciated, and, though I have done a lot of research already, I hope that this hasn't already been brought up!

Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Issues with plot

tmacchant




----- Original Message -----

> From: awarmwalrus 
> To: help-octave
> Cc:
> Date: 2014/6/19, Thu 06:39
> Subject: Issues with plot
>
> When I try to use plot in octave, I get the following output:
>
> "warning: could not match any font: *-normal-normal-10
> warning: ft_render: unable to load appropriate font
> ... (repeated roughly 100 times)
> warning: could not match any font: *-normal-normal-10
> warning: ft_render: unable to load appropriate font
> panic: Aborted -- stopping myself...
> attempting to save variables to 'octave-workspace'...
> save to 'octave-workspace' complete
> Aborted (core dumped)"
>
> Then it quits octave and returns me back to the terminal.
> I am using Cygwin on a Windows 8 system.
> I am using octave 3.8.1.
> It doesn't seem to be that I'm missing any fonts because I do have
> etc/fonts.conf where it should be. But honestly I have no clue and it
> doesn't seem like anybody else is having this specific problem. Most other
> people who received the double warnings seemed to have additional errors and
> path configuration errors that provided some information. Any help is
> greatly appreciated, and, though I have done a lot of research already, I
> hope that this hasn't already been brought up!


Seem to be a Cygwin font configuration issue around gnuplot.
I recommend you to post the issue to the Cygwin ML but not here.

Tatsuro

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Issues with plot

marco atzeri-2
On 19/06/2014 04:43, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:

> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: awarmwalrus
>> To: help-octave
>> Cc:
>> Date: 2014/6/19, Thu 06:39
>> Subject: Issues with plot
>>
>> When I try to use plot in octave, I get the following output:

with a specific command or just a generic

   x=1:10;
   plot(x,x)

?

>> "warning: could not match any font: *-normal-normal-10
>> warning: ft_render: unable to load appropriate font
>> ... (repeated roughly 100 times)
>> warning: could not match any font: *-normal-normal-10
>> warning: ft_render: unable to load appropriate font
>> panic: Aborted -- stopping myself...
>> attempting to save variables to 'octave-workspace'...
>> save to 'octave-workspace' complete
>> Aborted (core dumped)"
>>
>> Then it quits octave and returns me back to the terminal.
>> I am using Cygwin on a Windows 8 system.
>> I am using octave 3.8.1.
>> It doesn't seem to be that I'm missing any fonts because I do have
>> etc/fonts.conf where it should be.

the file should be /etc/fonts/fonts.conf

the output of fc-list will show you all installed and
recognized fonts

>> But honestly I have no clue and it
>> doesn't seem like anybody else is having this specific problem. Most other
>> people who received the double warnings seemed to have additional errors and
>> path configuration errors that provided some information. Any help is
>> greatly appreciated, and, though I have done a lot of research already, I
>> hope that this hasn't already been brought up!
>
>
> Seem to be a Cygwin font configuration issue around gnuplot.
> I recommend you to post the issue to the Cygwin ML but not here.
>
> Tatsuro
>

additional suggestion to Tatsuro one:

follow  https://cygwin.com/problems.html

specially the
"Run cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out and include that file as an
attachment in your report. Please do not compress or otherwise encode
the output. Just attach it as a straight text file so that it can be
easily viewed. "


Regards
Marco

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave