Italian translation for the upcoming release of Octave 4.2

Italian translation for the upcoming release of Octave 4.2

Andreas Weber-6
Dear Eugenio and Massimiliano.
As far as I can see both of you were involved in translating the Octave
GUI for the 4.0 release. Are you interested in doing this also for the
4.2 release? As far as I can see there are 99 strings left which should
be updated.

Thank you,
--Andy

Re: Italian translation for the upcoming release of Octave 4.2

Marco Caliari-4
On Wed, 5 Oct 2016, Andreas Weber wrote:

> Dear Eugenio and Massimiliano.
> As far as I can see both of you were involved in translating the Octave
> GUI for the 4.0 release. Are you interested in doing this also for the
> 4.2 release? As far as I can see there are 99 strings left which should
> be updated.
>
> Thank you,
> --Andy

Dear Andy, Massimiliano and Eugenio,

I'm Italian, too. And two students of GSOC ans SOCIS are Italian, too. May
we help you?

Thanks,

Marco

Re: Italian translation for the upcoming release of Octave 4.2

Eugenio Gianniti-3
On 06/10/2016 08:42, Marco Caliari wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Oct 2016, Andreas Weber wrote:
>
>> Dear Eugenio and Massimiliano.
>> As far as I can see both of you were involved in translating the Octave
>> GUI for the 4.0 release. Are you interested in doing this also for the
>> 4.2 release? As far as I can see there are 99 strings left which should
>> be updated.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> --Andy
>
> Dear Andy, Massimiliano and Eugenio,
>
> I'm Italian, too. And two students of GSOC ans SOCIS are Italian, too.
> May we help you?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marco

Dear all,

I will be happy to help.
I haven't contributed for a while: should I clone the development
repository to create the patch or is there a release candidate to work on?

Eugenio

Am 06.10.2016 um 10:18 schrieb Eugenio Gianniti:

> On 06/10/2016 08:42, Marco Caliari wrote:
>> On Wed, 5 Oct 2016, Andreas Weber wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Eugenio and Massimiliano.
>>> As far as I can see both of you were involved in translating the Octave
>>> GUI for the 4.0 release. Are you interested in doing this also for the
>>> 4.2 release? As far as I can see there are 99 strings left which should
>>> be updated.
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> --Andy
>>
>> Dear Andy, Massimiliano and Eugenio,
>>
>> I'm Italian, too. And two students of GSOC ans SOCIS are Italian, too.
>> May we help you?
>> Thanks,
>> Marco
>
> Dear all,
>
> I will be happy to help.
> I haven't contributed for a while: should I clone the development
> repository to create the patch or is there a release candidate to work on?

Dear Marco and Eugenio,
thank you for offering help. I've uploaded the latest it_IT.ts to

http://josoansi.de/files/it_IT.ts

You should use linguist-qt4 (or perhaps -qt5) to open the file and add
the translations. Many items are in the "unfinished" state so I guess
they need a review and should then be marked as finished (green check
symbol).

I don't know what would be the best way to split the work or if one of
you makes the translation and the other makes the review.

Thank you, Andy

On Sun, 9 Oct 2016, Eugenio Gianniti wrote:

> On 06/10/2016 18:31, Andreas Weber wrote:

>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I will be happy to help.
>>> I haven't contributed for a while: should I clone the development
>>> repository to create the patch or is there a release candidate to work on?
>>
>> Dear Marco and Eugenio,
>> thank you for offering help. I've uploaded the latest it_IT.ts to
>>
>> http://josoansi.de/files/it_IT.ts
>>
>> You should use linguist-qt4 (or perhaps -qt5) to open the file and add
>> the translations. Many items are in the "unfinished" state so I guess
>> they need a review and should then be marked as finished (green check
>> symbol).
>>
>> I don't know what would be the best way to split the work or if one of
>> you makes the translation and the other makes the review.
>>
>> Thank you, Andy
>>

> Dear Andy and Marco,
>
> I went through all the unfinished translations and filled them in.
> I also left some comments here and there, which boil down to:
>
>  1. In at least two "contexts" (following Linguist's wording) B, I, and
> U for bold, italic, and underlined have been literally translated to the
> initial of the corresponding Italian word. Whilst in one case this is
> ok, as there is also a balloon showing the whole word, in the other
> there is only the single letter. I have been using English for my
> operating system for years now, but I remember that when I used Italian
> icons always showed B, I, and U, thus this choice might be more
> intuitive. Anyway, someone with a closer experience with interfaces
> localized in Italian is better suited for this choice.
>
>  2. I was stuck with "top-level symbols", I could not think of anything
> reasonable except for leaving "top-level" in English.
>
> Let me know if I can provide further help.

Dear all, I gave a short look and found the following:

1) Nostra l'Esploratore di Risorse
2) Mostre Guide &Indentazione
3) Font translated as "Stile di carattere". I think font should be
translated as Carattere.
4) all accented letters are displayed as ??.

Regards,

Marco

Re: Italian translation for the upcoming release of Octave 4.2

Luca Manzari
On 10/10/2016 11:14 AM, Marco Caliari wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Oct 2016, Eugenio Gianniti wrote:

>>> Dear Marco and Eugenio,
>>> thank you for offering help. I've uploaded the latest it_IT.ts to
>>>
>>> http://josoansi.de/files/it_IT.ts
>>>
>>> You should use linguist-qt4 (or perhaps -qt5) to open the file and add
>>> the translations. Many items are in the "unfinished" state so I guess
>>> they need a review and should then be marked as finished (green check
>>> symbol).
>>>
>>> I don't know what would be the best way to split the work or if one of
>>> you makes the translation and the other makes the review.
>>>
>>> Thank you, Andy
>>>

>> Dear Andy and Marco,
>>
>> I went through all the unfinished translations and filled them in.
>> I also left some comments here and there, which boil down to:
>>
>>  1. In at least two "contexts" (following Linguist's wording) B, I, and
>> U for bold, italic, and underlined have been literally translated to the
>> initial of the corresponding Italian word. Whilst in one case this is
>> ok, as there is also a balloon showing the whole word, in the other
>> there is only the single letter. I have been using English for my
>> operating system for years now, but I remember that when I used Italian
>> icons always showed B, I, and U, thus this choice might be more
>> intuitive. Anyway, someone with a closer experience with interfaces
>> localized in Italian is better suited for this choice.
>>
>>  2. I was stuck with "top-level symbols", I could not think of anything
>> reasonable except for leaving "top-level" in English.
>>
>> Let me know if I can provide further help.
>
> Dear all, I gave a short look and found the following:
>
> 1) Nostra l'Esploratore di Risorse
> 2) Mostre Guide &Indentazione
> 3) Font translated as "Stile di carattere". I think font should be
> translated as Carattere.
> 4) all accented letters are displayed as ??.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marco

Dear Marco and Eugenio,

What if "top-level symbols" were to be translated as "simboli di primo
livello"? Just like "top-level domains" is translated as "domini di
primo livello".

I think this preserves the meaning of the English expression, and is
still perfectly understandable by an Italian user.

Just my 0.02$, and apologies if I did not join the translation process
earlier! Will definitely contribute from now on :)

/Luca