Java and Octave

WMDhamnekar
  Hello,

          I downloaded Octave version 5.2.0 in my Internet Explorer through
octave-5.2.0_1-w64-installer. While installing octave, installer could not
detect Java(JRE) on my computer system. So it said certain functions in the
octave version to be installed will become disabled.  Actually I have
installed Java already on my computer system.
  I want to know whether octave will work well even after not detecting JRE
on my computer system?

Re: Java and Octave

mmuetzel
Am 09. Mai 2020 um 12:48 Uhr schrieb "WMDhamnekar":
>   Hello,
>
>           I downloaded Octave version 5.2.0 in my Internet Explorer through
> octave-5.2.0_1-w64-installer. While installing octave, installer could not
> detect Java(JRE) on my computer system. So it said certain functions in the
> octave version to be installed will become disabled.  Actually I have
> installed Java already on my computer system.

The "bit-ness" of Octave and the JRE must match. So since you installed the 64bit version of Octave, you would need to have a 64bit version of the JRE.
By default java.com offers the 32bit version. The download link for the 64bit version is a bit tricky to find:
https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

>   I want to know whether octave will work well even after not detecting JRE
> on my computer system?

You only need a valid JRE if you want to interface to Java directly or plan on using functions that need the Java interface (e.g. some functions from the io package).
Otherwise, you should be fine.

HTH,
Markus

Re: Java and Octave

Ian McCallion
On Sat, 9 May 2020 at 11:49, WMDhamnekar <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   Hello,
>
>           I downloaded Octave version 5.2.0 in my Internet Explorer through
> octave-5.2.0_1-w64-installer. While installing octave, installer could not
> detect Java(JRE) on my computer system. So it said certain functions in the
> octave version to be installed will become disabled.  Actually I have
> installed Java already on my computer system.
>   I want to know whether octave will work well even after not detecting JRE
> on my computer system?

Yes it will work, until you use something that relies on Java.

If you need anything that uses Java you must install the 64bit version
of Java. The Java download site will by default offer the 32bit
version so you must take additional steps to get the 64bit version.
Once the 64bit version of Java is installed Octave will automatically
find it.

Chers.. Ian

Re: Java and Octave

WMDhamnekar