Link all dependencies on Mac?

mmuetzel
Could a developer on MacOS please check if the patch in bug #59174 does the Correct Thing(TM)?
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?59174

I saw that the homebrew devs are configuring with --enable-link-all-dependencies in the formulas:
https://github.com/octave-app/homebrew-octave-app/blob/master/Formula/octave-octave-app%406.0.90.rb#L113

But is this because it Just Works(TM)? Could that lead to overlinking?

Markus

Re: Link all dependencies on Mac?

Carlo de Falco-2

> Il giorno 28 set 2020, alle ore 20:03, Markus Mützel <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
> Could a developer on MacOS please check if the patch in bug #59174 does the Correct Thing(TM)?
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?59174
>
> I saw that the homebrew devs are configuring with --enable-link-all-dependencies in the formulas:
> https://github.com/octave-app/homebrew-octave-app/blob/master/Formula/octave-octave-app%406.0.90.rb#L113
>
> But is this because it Just Works(TM)? Could that lead to overlinking?
>
> Markus

I build Octave independent of a package manager and I also need to specify --enable-link-all-dependencies.
I cannot find explicit documentation for this, but it is my experience that secondary dependencies are not found and loaded by default on macos.

c.

Am 29. September 2020 um 09:44 Uhr schrieb "Carlo De Falco":

> > Il giorno 28 set 2020, alle ore 20:03, Markus Mützel <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
> >
> > Could a developer on MacOS please check if the patch in bug #59174 does the Correct Thing(TM)?
> > https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?59174
> >
> > I saw that the homebrew devs are configuring with --enable-link-all-dependencies in the formulas:
> > https://github.com/octave-app/homebrew-octave-app/blob/master/Formula/octave-octave-app%406.0.90.rb#L113
> >
> > But is this because it Just Works(TM)? Could that lead to overlinking?
> >
> > Markus
>
> I build Octave independent of a package manager and I also need to specify --enable-link-all-dependencies.
> I cannot find explicit documentation for this, but it is my experience that secondary dependencies are not found and loaded by default on macos.

Thanks for this experience report.
So it looks like developers currently need to pass this switch on MacOS. Changing the default wouldn't make things worse iiuc.

Markus