Long time for first plot on Windows

John Swensen-3
I have a student who has started using Octave for some of our simulations and ran into the problem of the first plot taking a long, long time to show up described at
and
Apparently, plotting works fast and fine after the initial 2 minute wait for the first plot to show up.

I tried to search through the bug reports on Savannah to see if one matches, but I couldn’t seem to find one.

Is this a known issue?
Does it have a workaround?

If not, I will submit a bug report, but wanted to check in here before cluttering the Savannah bug tracker even more.

John S.

Re: Long time for first plot on Windows

nrjank
On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 4:00 PM, John Swensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have a student who has started using Octave for some of our simulations and ran into the problem of the first plot taking a long, long time to show up described at
and
Apparently, plotting works fast and fine after the initial 2 minute wait for the first plot to show up.

I tried to search through the bug reports on Savannah to see if one matches, but I couldn’t seem to find one.

Is this a known issue?
Does it have a workaround?

If not, I will submit a bug report, but wanted to check in here before cluttering the Savannah bug tracker even more.

It is a known issue.  I think this bug captures most of the details, not sure if there's another one. I'll peek and respond if I find another.
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?45458

I don't know if anyone on windows was ever able to isolate the problem. With me it has been very intermittent.  Sometimes there's a delay, sometimes not. Hasn't been an issue at all for a while. I also know that I first encountered it before version 4.0.0.  maybe on 3.6.4?

We had another bug report related to a long delay when calling the pager (anything that has more than one screen's worth of text to display).  Never able to isolate a cause.  Never sure if it was related to the plotting delay.
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?45475

Nick J.

Re: Long time for first plot on Windows

Andreas Weber-4
Am 13.01.2016 um 22:00 schrieb John Swensen:
> I have a student who has started using Octave for some of our
> simulations and ran into the problem of the first plot taking a long,
> long time to show up described at
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-octave/2015-12/msg00159.html
> and
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31882510/cannot-use-octave-4-0-0-graphics-toolkit-functions-under-windows-10
> Apparently, plotting works fast and fine after the initial 2 minute wait
> for the first plot to show up.

Yes, it's a konwn issue: https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?45458
Does your student see the delay only the first time he plots something
or also after reboot? Can you check if he has installed a tool which
automatically clears the TEMP directory on startup (for example CCleaner)

Andy

a few others referencing similar delays or delays/crashes:
open:

Re: Long time for first plot on Windows

John Swensen-3

> On Jan 13, 2016, at 1:28 PM, Andreas Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Am 13.01.2016 um 22:00 schrieb John Swensen:
>> I have a student who has started using Octave for some of our
>> simulations and ran into the problem of the first plot taking a long,
>> long time to show up described at
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-octave/2015-12/msg00159.html
>> and
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31882510/cannot-use-octave-4-0-0-graphics-toolkit-functions-under-windows-10
>> Apparently, plotting works fast and fine after the initial 2 minute wait
>> for the first plot to show up.
>
> Yes, it's a konwn issue: https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?45458
> Does your student see the delay only the first time he plots something
> or also after reboot? Can you check if he has installed a tool which
> automatically clears the TEMP directory on startup (for example CCleaner)
>
> Andy

He said that it happens on the first plot every time he starts Octave. He has tried both the 4.0.0 installer from the website and the 4.0.1 RC build that was linked from the maintainers list.

I have my weekly meeting with him tomorrow, so we will try a couple of things to get more information that might help to attach to the various bug reports. Unfortunately, I probably don’t have time right now to get a build environment set up for Windows so that we could do some profiling, but even if we could isolate it to whether it happens when he creates a figure without a plot, or if it happens when the plotting actually occurs the first time, that might help.

John S.

On Jan 13, 2016, at 1:09 PM, Nicholas Jankowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Ooh. This reasoning looks pretty promising. I will try to figure out whether the font cache is getting wiped out on every restart for some reason. Thanks for the link. I am either seriously bad at using the Savannah search or it doesn’t do a good job of searching. I swear I used keywords like “Windows”, “plot”, and “delay” and this one wasn’t even in the list.

Thanks,
John

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 4:52 PM, John Swensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

i use google.

"<searchterm>" site:"http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?29813"