Mac OSX 10.6.5 update

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mac OSX 10.6.5 update

Alastair Springgay
Hello,

I have updated my computer to the OSX 10.6.5 version and Octave has stopped talking with GNUPlot. Octave seems to work fine as normal, as does GNUPlot. However when trying to create a plot from Octave the following error is displayed:

octave-3.2.3:3> plot(x,y)
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/Xdyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
  Referenced from: /usr/X11R6/lib/libfontconfig.1.dylib
  Reason: Incompatible library version: libfontconfig.1.dylib requires version 13.0.0 or later, but libfreetype.6.dylib provides version 10.0.0
11/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
  Referenced from: /usr/X11R6/lib/libfontconfig.1.dylib
  Reason: Incompatible library version: libfontconfig.1.dylib requires version 13.0.0 or later, but libfreetype.6.dylib provides version 10.0.0
/Applications/Gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnuplot: line 71:   838 Trace/BPT trap          GNUTERM="${GNUTERM}" GNUPLOT_HOME="${GNUPLOT_HOME}" PATH="${PATH}" DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="${DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH}" HOME="${HOME}" GNUHELP="${GNUHELP}" DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH="${DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH}" GNUPLOT_PS_DIR="${GNUPLOT_PS_DIR}" DISPLAY="${DISPLAY}" GNUPLOT_DRIVER_DIR="${GNUPLOT_DRIVER_DIR}" "${ROOT}/bin/gnuplot-4.2.6" "$@"
/Applications/Gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnuplot: line 71:   833 Trace/BPT trap          GNUTERM="${GNUTERM}" GNUPLOT_HOME="${GNUPLOT_HOME}" PATH="${PATH}" DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="${DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH}" HOME="${HOME}" GNUHELP="${GNUHELP}" DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH="${DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH}" GNUPLOT_PS_DIR="${GNUPLOT_PS_DIR}" DISPLAY="${DISPLAY}" GNUPLOT_DRIVER_DIR="${GNUPLOT_DRIVER_DIR}" "${ROOT}/bin/gnuplot-4.2.6" "$@"
error: you must have gnuplot installed to display graphics; if you have gnuplot installed in a non-standard location, see the 'gnuplot_binary' function


thanks in advance,

Alastair

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OSX 10.6.5 update

bpabbott
Administrator
On Nov 14, 2010, at 10:23 PM, Alastair Springgay wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have updated my computer to the OSX 10.6.5 version and Octave has stopped talking with GNUPlot. Octave seems to work fine as normal, as does GNUPlot. However when trying to create a plot from Octave the following error is displayed:
>
> octave-3.2.3:3> plot(x,y)
> dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/Xdyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
>   Referenced from: /usr/X11R6/lib/libfontconfig.1.dylib
>   Reason: Incompatible library version: libfontconfig.1.dylib requires version 13.0.0 or later, but libfreetype.6.dylib provides version 10.0.0
> 11/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
>   Referenced from: /usr/X11R6/lib/libfontconfig.1.dylib
>   Reason: Incompatible library version: libfontconfig.1.dylib requires version 13.0.0 or later, but libfreetype.6.dylib provides version 10.0.0
> /Applications/Gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnuplot: line 71:   838 Trace/BPT trap          GNUTERM="${GNUTERM}" GNUPLOT_HOME="${GNUPLOT_HOME}" PATH="${PATH}" DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="${DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH}" HOME="${HOME}" GNUHELP="${GNUHELP}" DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH="${DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH}" GNUPLOT_PS_DIR="${GNUPLOT_PS_DIR}" DISPLAY="${DISPLAY}" GNUPLOT_DRIVER_DIR="${GNUPLOT_DRIVER_DIR}" "${ROOT}/bin/gnuplot-4.2.6" "$@"
> /Applications/Gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnuplot: line 71:   833 Trace/BPT trap          GNUTERM="${GNUTERM}" GNUPLOT_HOME="${GNUPLOT_HOME}" PATH="${PATH}" DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="${DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH}" HOME="${HOME}" GNUHELP="${GNUHELP}" DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH="${DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH}" GNUPLOT_PS_DIR="${GNUPLOT_PS_DIR}" DISPLAY="${DISPLAY}" GNUPLOT_DRIVER_DIR="${GNUPLOT_DRIVER_DIR}" "${ROOT}/bin/gnuplot-4.2.6" "$@"
> error: you must have gnuplot installed to display graphics; if you have gnuplot installed in a non-standard location, see the 'gnuplot_binary' function
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> Alastair

I see the same problem with the Octave app from sourceforge ...

        http://octave.sourceforge.net/

DId you obtain your app from sourceforge?

I do not see this problem for Octave built from the developers sources, or for version 3.0.5 obtained from Fink.

I haven't tried, but I expect the 3.2.4 version form MacPorts works as well.

        http://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=name&substr=octave

Ben

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OSX 10.6.5 update

WP Becker
Is there a place on macports where the 3.2.4 .dmg is located? Nothing jumps off the page and says "here is the disk image download."


_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OSX 10.6.5 update

bpabbott
Administrator
On Nov 14, 2010, at 11:02 PM, WP Becker wrote:

> Is there a place on macports where the 3.2.4 .dmg is located? Nothing jumps off the page and says "here is the disk image download."

There's no dmg. You have to install Macports. After which you can use Macports to build Octave from source.

To install Macports, see ...

        http://guide.macports.org/

Once you have a working installation type ...

        sudo port install octave

Ben
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OSX 10.6.5 update

c.-2
In reply to this post by WP Becker

On 14 Nov 2010, at 16:02, WP Becker wrote:

> Is there a place on macports where the 3.2.4 .dmg is located? Nothing jumps off the page and says "here is the disk image download."

you won't find that on macports because that's not how macports installs stuff, after installing macports you would get Octave by typing something like:

sudo port install octave

in the terminal. If you want more info on how macports works, read the documentation on their website or ask on some macports related forum/mailing list, not on the Octave mailing list.
c.



_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OSX 10.6.5 update

Jeremy Huddleston
In reply to this post by Alastair Springgay
We updated freetype in OSX 10.6.5 and fontconfig, which links against
freetype, wants this newer version. Gnuplot is failing to load because their
developers are setting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH which is forcing our libfontconfig  
to try using their libfreetype, which it cant.

This is a bug in Gnuplot.app ... developers should NEVER be setting
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH in shipping products!


_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OSX 10.6.5 update

bpabbott
Administrator
On Nov 16, 2010, at 12:42 PM, Jeremy Huddleston <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We updated freetype in OSX 10.6.5 and fontconfig, which links against
> freetype, wants this newer version. Gnuplot is failing to load because their
> developers are setting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH which is forcing our libfontconfig  
> to try using their libfreetype, which it cant.
>
> This is a bug in Gnuplot.app ... developers should NEVER be setting
> DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH in shipping products!
>

Jeremy,

I assume you are referring to a binary distribution of gnuplot? Can you tell us which site it is available from?

Ben
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OSX 10.6.5 update

c.-2
2010/11/16, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]>:

> On Nov 16, 2010, at 12:42 PM, Jeremy Huddleston <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> We updated freetype in OSX 10.6.5 and fontconfig, which links against
>> freetype, wants this newer version. Gnuplot is failing to load because
>> their
>> developers are setting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH which is forcing our
>> libfontconfig
>> to try using their libfreetype, which it cant.
>>
>> This is a bug in Gnuplot.app ... developers should NEVER be setting
>> DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH in shipping products!
>>
>
> Jeremy,
>
> I assume you are referring to a binary distribution of gnuplot? Can you tell
> us which site it is available from?
>
> Ben
> _______________________________________________
>

Ben,
There is a binary version of gnuplot included on the octave.app dmg
image which does have the problem Jeremy is referring to.
c.
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OSX 10.6.5 update

Jeremy Huddleston
In reply to this post by bpabbott

On Nov 16, 2010, at 11:14, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2010, at 12:42 PM, Jeremy Huddleston <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> We updated freetype in OSX 10.6.5 and fontconfig, which links against
>> freetype, wants this newer version. Gnuplot is failing to load because their
>> developers are setting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH which is forcing our libfontconfig  
>> to try using their libfreetype, which it cant.
>>
>> This is a bug in Gnuplot.app ... developers should NEVER be setting
>> DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH in shipping products!
>>
>
> Jeremy,
>
> I assume you are referring to a binary distribution of gnuplot? Can you tell us which site it is available from?

I have no idea where the binary came from.  I was simply replying to the previous posts (http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.octave.general/32967 and http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.octave.general/32963).  You will have to ask the original posters (Alastair and WP Becker) for more details.

After 10.6.5 was released, I received a bug report on this topic, so I did a google search for "Reason: Incompatible library version: libfontconfig.1.dylib requires version 13.0.0 or later, but libfreetype.6.dylib provides version 10.0.0" in order to respond to blogs / mailing lists with relevant/helpful information.

If this is not the correct list for GnuPlot, then hopefully you can pass along this information to whomever packaged up the broken Gnuplot.app

Thanks,
Jeremy

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OSX 10.6.5 update

WP Becker
I filed a bug report with apple because *they* are what changed causing Gnuplot to break.

This is their response:

> Engineering has determined that this issue behaves as intended based on the following information:
>
> Try not setting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH.  That is causing the load of an external / older / incompatible libfreetype.6.dylib rather than our provided libfreetype.6.dylib
>
> We consider this issue closed.  If you have any questions or concern regarding this issue, please update your report directly (http://bugreport.apple.com).
>
> Thank you for taking the time to notify us of this issue.
>


Now, *who* has responsibility for getting it fixed?


On Nov 16, 2010, at 12:27, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> I have no idea where the binary came from.  I was simply replying to the previous posts (http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.octave.general/32967 and http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.octave.general/32963). You will have to ask the original posters (Alastair and WP Becker) for more details.
>
> After 10.6.5 was released, I received a bug report on this topic, so I did a google search for "Reason: Incompatible library version: libfontconfig.1.dylib requires version 13.0.0 or later, but libfreetype.6.dylib provides version 10.0.0" in order to respond to blogs / mailing lists with relevant/helpful information.
>
> If this is not the correct list for GnuPlot, then hopefully you can pass along this information to whomever packaged up the broken Gnuplot.app
>


_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OSX 10.6.5 update

c.-2

On 17 Nov 2010, at 04:38, WP Becker wrote:

> Now, *who* has responsibility for getting it fixed?

Gnuplot.app was packaged by Thomas Treichl but he seems to no more have time to maintain it,
at least I remember him saying so on this list a while back.

So I think any volunteers would be very welcome!

c.
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OSX 10.6.5 update

c.-2

On 17 Nov 2010, at 10:58, c. wrote:

>
> On 17 Nov 2010, at 04:38, WP Becker wrote:
>
>> Now, *who* has responsibility for getting it fixed?
>
> Gnuplot.app was packaged by Thomas Treichl but he seems to no more have time to maintain it,
> at least I remember him saying so on this list a while back.
>
> So I think any volunteers would be very welcome!


BTW, for the time being, before a cleaner solution has been found,
I noticed that the following workaround appears to momentarily fix the problem:

1) open the folder /Applications in the finder
2) right-click on Gnuplot.app and select "show package contents"
3) navigate to /Applications/Gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/bin
4) right-click on the file "gnuplot" and select "Open with -> Other ... -> TextEdit.app"
5) change the line:

DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="${ROOT}/lib:${DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH}"

to

DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="${ROOT}/lib"

and save.

c.


_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OSX 10.6.5 update

bpabbott
Administrator
On Nov 17, 2010, at 5:47 AM, Carlo de Falco wrote:

> On 17 Nov 2010, at 10:58, c. wrote:
>
>> On 17 Nov 2010, at 04:38, WP Becker wrote:
>>
>>> Now, *who* has responsibility for getting it fixed?
>>
>> Gnuplot.app was packaged by Thomas Treichl but he seems to no more have time to maintain it,
>> at least I remember him saying so on this list a while back.
>>
>> So I think any volunteers would be very welcome!
>
>
> BTW, for the time being, before a cleaner solution has been found,
> I noticed that the following workaround appears to momentarily fix the problem:
>
> 1) open the folder /Applications in the finder
> 2) right-click on Gnuplot.app and select "show package contents"
> 3) navigate to /Applications/Gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/bin
> 4) right-click on the file "gnuplot" and select "Open with -> Other ... -> TextEdit.app"
> 5) change the line:
>
> DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="${ROOT}/lib:${DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH}"
>
> to
>
> DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="${ROOT}/lib"
>
> and save.
>
> c.

Thanks for the simple fix.

Should this be included as a note on the download page?

        http://octave.sourceforge.net/

If so, who should be cc'd?

Ben
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OSX 10.6.5 update

c.-2

On 17 Nov 2010, at 12:51, Ben Abbott wrote:

> Thanks for the simple fix.
>
> Should this be included as a note on the download page?
>
> http://octave.sourceforge.net/
>
> If so, who should be cc'd?
>
> Ben

I added release notes for Octave.app and linked them on http://octave.sourceforge.net/index.html does this look OK?
c.



_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OSX 10.6.5 update

bpabbott
Administrator
On Nov 17, 2010, at 7:42 AM, c. wrote:

> On 17 Nov 2010, at 12:51, Ben Abbott wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the simple fix.
>>
>> Should this be included as a note on the download page?
>>
>> http://octave.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> If so, who should be cc'd?
>>
>> Ben
>
> I added release notes for Octave.app and linked them on http://octave.sourceforge.net/index.html does this look OK?
> c.

Look good!

Thanks
Ben
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OSX 10.6.5 update

WP Becker
In reply to this post by c.-2
This works just fine.

Thanks!

On Nov 17, 2010, at 02:47, Carlo de Falco wrote:

> BTW, for the time being, before a cleaner solution has been found,
> I noticed that the following workaround appears to momentarily fix the problem:
>
> 1) open the folder /Applications in the finder
> 2) right-click on Gnuplot.app and select "show package contents"
> 3) navigate to /Applications/Gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/bin
> 4) right-click on the file "gnuplot" and select "Open with -> Other ... -> TextEdit.app"
> 5) change the line:
>
> DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="${ROOT}/lib:${DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH}"
>
> to
>
> DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="${ROOT}/lib"


_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OSX 10.6.5 update

st.grundmann
In reply to this post by c.-2
just for completeness:
6) change

DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH

to

DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH="${ROOT}/lib"
and save.