MathML

Søren Hauberg
Hi,
I've been playing a bit with the generation of HTML documentation. If I
use texi2html I can get images in the html documents containing math
(texi2html can call latex2html). Now, it would be better to use makeinfo
instead og texi2html, as it supports texinfo better. The problem is that
makeinfo can't generate math contents automaticly.
It seems to me that the new and fancy way to present math online is
using MathML.
My question is would patches that add's MathML to the documentation be
accepted?

I think I should mention that MathML isn't a very easy to read format
and even small things can take up alot of space. Here's an example:
The following TeX:
$$ {\rm mean}(x) = \bar{x} = {1\over N} \sum_{i=1}^N x_i $$
becomes this in MathML:
   <math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">
     <mi mathvariant="normal">mean</mi>
     <mfenced>
       <mi>x</mi>
     </mfenced>
     <mo>=</mo>
     <mover>
       <mi>x</mi>
       <mo>-</mo>
     </mover>
     <mo>=</mo>
     <mfrac>
       <mn>1</mn>
       <mi>N</mi>
     </mfrac>
     <munderover>
       <mo>&sum;</mo>
       <mrow>
         <mi>i</mi>
         <mo>=</mo>
         <mn>1</mn>
       </mrow>
       <mi>N</mi>
     </munderover>
     <msub>
       <mi>x</mi>
       <mi>i</mi>
     </msub>
   </math>

/Søren

Re: MathML

Jorge Barros de Abreu
Hi Søren.
The common solution for makeinfo limitation are the options ifinfo, ifhtml and
iftex in a texinfo file. For example, if there is an equation then it will
put in a file tree times: one within of a ifinfo, one within of a ifhtml and
one within of a iftex each in a respective (and different) format.

[]´s

Em Sun 17 Jul 2005 18:36, Søren Hauberg escreveu:

> Hi,
> I've been playing a bit with the generation of HTML documentation. If I
> use texi2html I can get images in the html documents containing math
> (texi2html can call latex2html). Now, it would be better to use makeinfo
> instead og texi2html, as it supports texinfo better. The problem is that
> makeinfo can't generate math contents automaticly.
> It seems to me that the new and fancy way to present math online is
> using MathML.
> My question is would patches that add's MathML to the documentation be
> accepted?
>
> I think I should mention that MathML isn't a very easy to read format
> and even small things can take up alot of space. Here's an example:
> The following TeX:
> $$ {\rm mean}(x) = \bar{x} = {1\over N} \sum_{i=1}^N x_i $$
> becomes this in MathML:
>    <math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">
>      <mi mathvariant="normal">mean</mi>
>      <mfenced>
>        <mi>x</mi>
>      </mfenced>
>      <mo>=</mo>
>      <mover>
>        <mi>x</mi>
>        <mo>-</mo>
>      </mover>
>      <mo>=</mo>
>      <mfrac>
>        <mn>1</mn>
>        <mi>N</mi>
>      </mfrac>
>      <munderover>
>        <mo>&sum;</mo>
>        <mrow>
>          <mi>i</mi>
>          <mo>=</mo>
>          <mn>1</mn>
>        </mrow>
>        <mi>N</mi>
>      </munderover>
>      <msub>
>        <mi>x</mi>
>        <mi>i</mi>
>      </msub>
>    </math>
>
> /Søren

Re: MathML

John W. Eaton-6
On 17-Jul-2005, Jorge Barros de Abreu wrote:

| The common solution for makeinfo limitation are the options ifinfo, ifhtml and
| iftex in a texinfo file. For example, if there is an equation then it will
| put in a file tree times: one within of a ifinfo, one within of a ifhtml and
| one within of a iftex each in a respective (and different) format.

Yes, but there is also @math{}, so maybe in the future we can avoid
the duplication by having @math do something sensible with its
argument when generating HTML.

jwe