Matlab v7.3

ellocco
Dear all,

the new Octave can handle simple structured mat-v7.3 Files,
but only simple ones.
SciLab, Modellica, Java, Phyton and others can load mat-files,
but in Octave it does not work.

Has someone figured out a workaround?

Is there an example to load mat-files via Java?

Does "sci_cosim" still work?
Latest Update was in 2015.

Are there any rumors, if we have to wait another 12 month for the
next octave version?

Regards,

Stefan

--
Stefan Pofahl
Zollgasse 5

Re: Matlab v7.3

nrjank
On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 10:39 AM Stefan Pofahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear all,

the new Octave can handle simple structured mat-v7.3 Files,
but only simple ones.

Can you provide an example file that will not load in Octave?  which version are you using?

Is there an example to load mat-files via Java?

Do you have a particular need to load a file via Java or is it just because of your earlier concern about being unable to load a certain .mat file?

Are there any rumors, if we have to wait another 12 month for the
next octave version?

I believe the plan is to have a v6 out much sooner than 12 months.

Re: Matlab v7.3

ellocco
It is a known issue that Octave cannot handle v7.3 properly:
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?45706

And my hope since 10 mounth was that the new Octave that came out in Feb.
2020
will be able to handle mat-v7.3-files.

The reason why Octave users would like to load v7.3-mat is the
enhanced file size (unfortunatly the mat-files are generated by Matlab).

The reason to mention Java is just that there is an established
inteface octave-Java-Runtime_Environment

The example that I have at hand is too large to share.

Next time I have acccess on a Matlab-machine I will write
a small example.

Re: Matlab v7.3

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
> Has someone figured out a workaround?

You can use Pythonic https://gitlab.com/mtmiller/octave-pythonic/tree/master
until the format is supported natively.

Re: Matlab v7.3

ellocco
The package "Octave Pythonic Package" is that work around I am looking for,
but unfortunately I failed to install it on Windows 7 inside Octave 5.2.0:

octave console wrote

> octave-gui.exe> pkg install
> https://gitlab.com/mtmiller/octave-pythonic/-/archive/v0.0.1/octave-pythonic-v0.0.1.tar.gz
> /bin/sh: -c: line 0: syntax error near unexpected token `('
> /bin/sh: -c: line 0: `echo "  CXX   "
> oct-py-error.o;C:/Octave/OCTAVE~1.0/mingw64/bin/mkoctfile-5.2.0.exe  -I.
> -I. -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Python38-32\include  -Wall -Wextra -g -O2
>  -c -o oct-py-error.o oct-py-error.cc'
> make: *** [Makefile:111: oct-py-error.o] Error 1
> make: Entering directory
> '/c/Users/u16e45/AppData/Local/Temp/oct-ItMjIz/octave-pythonic-v0.0.1/src'
> make: Leaving directory
> '/c/Users/u16e45/AppData/Local/Temp/oct-ItMjIz/octave-pythonic-v0.0.1/src'
>
> pkg: error running `make' for the pythonic package.
> error: called from
>     configure_make at line 99 column 9
>     install at line 190 column 7
>     pkg at line 441 column 9

Has someone managed to install the package on Windows?

Re: Matlab v7.3

ellocco
Unfortunatly, I also failed to install the pakage under Linux.
My distribution is: ubuntu 18.04 (octave 5.2.0 & python3, including
python-dev).
It seems that this package is nothing for standard users :-(

Re: Matlab v7.3

Colin Macdonald-2
On 2020-03-21 8:33 a.m., ellocco wrote:
> Unfortunatly, I also failed to install the pakage under Linux.
> My distribution is: ubuntu 18.04 (octave 5.2.0 & python3, including
> python-dev).
> It seems that this package is nothing for standard users :-(

I don't know about windows, but the combination you list here should
work.  Post an issue with the output you see to:

https://gitlab.com/mtmiller/octave-pythonic/

Colin

Re: Matlab v7.3

Mike Miller-4
On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 10:33:23 -0500, ellocco wrote:
> Unfortunatly, I also failed to install the pakage under Linux.
> My distribution is: ubuntu 18.04 (octave 5.2.0 & python3, including
> python-dev).
> It seems that this package is nothing for standard users :-(

Yes, it is definitely alpha software, and I hope that if you are
interested, you can get involved and help us improve the package until
we can consider it stable.

The master branch currently does install and work on any GNU/Linux and
on Windows, but there are some workarounds needed to locate Python on
Windows, I would appreciate some help improving that.

It sounds like you are familiar with Python, would you be able to help
write an example using h5py or some other library to demonstrate how to
load Matlab files using Pythonic?

Re: Matlab v7.3

ellocco
Hi Mike,

thanks a lot for your great attempt to connect python and octave :-)
Up to know I have never worked with python, but I hope to find time
to get involved.

Regards,

Stefan