Missing functions from the image package

Missing functions from the image package

Alasdair McAndrew
When I enter "pkg describe -verbose image" I obtain a long list of functions, some of which actually don't exist.  They are:

imfinfo
imapprox
rgb2ycbcr
dither
roifill
roifilt2

What has happened to these functions - were they once in the package but have been removed in the latest release?  And if so, is there any way I can obtain them?

Thanks,
Alasdair

--
Blog: http://amca01.wordpress.com

Re: Missing functions from the image package

David Bateman-2
Alasdair McAndrew wrote:

> When I enter "pkg describe -verbose image" I obtain a long list of
> functions, some of which actually don't exist.  They are:
>
> imfinfo
> imapprox
> rgb2ycbcr
> dither
> roifill
> roifilt2
>
> What has happened to these functions - were they once in the package but
> have been removed in the latest release?  And if so, is there any way I
> can obtain them?

Opps, that is in fact a bug in the "pkg describe -verbose" command. The
packages INDEX can perfectly well have function names in it that don't
exist. That was a deliberate choice so that it might be used to note
equivalent functions of matlab that Octave doesn't have, and in
particular note this in the function reference on the website. For
example see the roifill and roifilt2 functions on

http://octave.sourceforge.net/doc/image.html

Now the "pkg describe -verbose" command just uses this INDEX file as
well and prints out the contents. If the INDEX file was automatically
created  by the "pkg install" command this is not a problem. However,
hand written ones like that for the image package aren't. Not sure of
the best solution for this, but note that the function reference section
of the octave-forge website is a better source for the type of
information you are looking for.

Cheers
David

35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)

Re: Missing functions from the image package

Bill Denney-5
Hi Alasdair,

I'm sure that new functions would be happily accepted.  Many of the
image functions are being actively worked on, but the effort often goes
to functions that the writer is currently in need of.  So, the best way
to have some of these functions is to write them, submit them, and then
use them with the large number of functions that others have written.

Have a good day,

Bill

Alasdair McAndrew wrote:

> Thanks for that - I hadn't checked the package info on the Octave
> Forge site.  It would be nice if (some of) those functions could be
> implemented, though...
>
> cheers,
> Alasdair
>
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 11:09 AM, David Bateman <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Alasdair McAndrew wrote:
>
>         When I enter "pkg describe -verbose image" I obtain a long
>         list of functions, some of which actually don't exist.  They are:
>
>         imfinfo
>         imapprox
>         rgb2ycbcr
>         dither
>         roifill
>         roifilt2
>
>         What has happened to these functions - were they once in the
>         package but have been removed in the latest release?  And if
>         so, is there any way I can obtain them?
>

>     Opps, that is in fact a bug in the "pkg describe -verbose"
>     command. The packages INDEX can perfectly well have function names
>     in it that don't exist. That was a deliberate choice so that it
>     might be used to note equivalent functions of matlab that Octave
>     doesn't have, and in particular note this in the function
>     reference on the website. For example see the roifill and roifilt2
>     functions on
>
>     http://octave.sourceforge.net/doc/image.html
>
>     Now the "pkg describe -verbose" command just uses this INDEX file
>     as well and prints out the contents. If the INDEX file was
>     automatically created  by the "pkg install" command this is not a
>     problem. However, hand written ones like that for the image
>     package aren't. Not sure of the best solution for this, but note
>     that the function reference section of the octave-forge website is
>     a better source for the type of information you are looking for.
>
>     Cheers
>     David
>

>     --
>     David Bateman                                [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
>     92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)
>

> --
> Blog: http://amca01.wordpress.com

Re: Missing functions from the image package

Søren Hauberg
tir, 18 11 2008 kl. 12:59 +1100, skrev Alasdair McAndrew:
> Thanks for that - I hadn't checked the package info on the Octave
> Forge site.  It would be nice if (some of) those functions could be
> implemented, though...

As always patches are accepted :-)
I should be noted that 'imfinfo' is implemented in Octave 3.1.51+

Søren