More summer of code ideas needed!

12

More summer of code ideas needed!

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
Mentoring organisation applications for Google Summer of Code are now open!

    http://google-opensource.blogspot.ca/2013/03/mentoring-organization-applications-now.html

I have been cleaning up our ideas page in preparation for this:

    http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Low-Level_I.2FO

This has resulted in a number of ideas from past years being reworked
or removed. We need more ideas! It would be nice if we could get more
ideas for the Octave Forge packages.

So, what are your ideas? What else could students work on? Edit the
wiki or let me know and I can work it into the wiki.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: More summer of code ideas needed!

Patrick Noffke

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]> wrote:

So, what are your ideas? What else could students work on? Edit the
wiki or let me know and I can work it into the wiki.

How about implementing iccread, iccwrite, makecform, and applycform?

Possibly OF, but using the littlecms library would make a lot of sense.

Thanks,
Pat

On 18 March 2013 18:17, Patrick Noffke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> So, what are your ideas? What else could students work on? Edit the
>> wiki or let me know and I can work it into the wiki.
>>

> How about implementing iccread, iccwrite, makecform, and applycform?
>
> Possibly OF, but using the littlecms library would make a lot of sense.

I'm not familiar with these functions. Would you be able to give a bit
more context about them, and what a student would need to know to be
successful and how difficult would it be?

- Jordi G. H.

Re: More summer of code ideas needed!

am304
Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
So, what are your ideas? What else could students work on? Edit the
wiki or let me know and I can work it into the wiki.

- Jordi G. H.
A working GUI is probably a pre-requisite for this, but an equivalent to MathWorks' Simulink would be a great addition to Octave. This would allow modelling and designing of complex control systems or signal processing systems that are not easily done in a purely textual environment.

Arnaud
grg

Re: More summer of code ideas needed!

grg
How about making m_map (http://www.eos.ubc.ca/~rich/map.html) fully compatible with octave?
This would be very very useful!
cheers,
grg

On 19 March 2013 05:27, am304 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A working GUI is probably a pre-requisite for this, but an equivalent to
> MathWorks' Simulink <http://www.mathworks.co.uk/products/simulink/>   would
> be a great addition to Octave.

Simulink is way too much for a summer project. It's not an addition to
Octave, but the creation of a whole new program that happens to use
Octave. It would be comparable to having a student implement all of
Octave during the summer.

On 19 March 2013 05:32, grg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How about making m_map (http://www.eos.ubc.ca/~rich/map.html) fully
> compatible with octave?

I believe I have already heard reports of people using this with
Octave. However, the package itself isn't under a free license (it has
no license at all), so a prerequisite would be to convince the author
to give it a free license. It is Google's own requirement that
students must work only on free code.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: More summer of code ideas needed!

am304
Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
Simulink is way too much for a summer project. It's not an addition to
Octave, but the creation of a whole new program that happens to use
Octave. It would be comparable to having a student implement all of
Octave during the summer.

- Jordi G. H.
Yes, you're probably right, sorry.

Another suggestion would be to have, if not a GUI, at least some functions to automatically or interactively tune a (PID) controller for a given plant (described by a transfer function or a state-space representation), based on requirements such as overshoot, rise time, settling time, etc...

Arnaud

Re: More summer of code ideas needed!

José Luis García Pallero
2013/3/19 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]>:
> On 19 March 2013 05:32, grg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> How about making m_map (http://www.eos.ubc.ca/~rich/map.html) fully
>> compatible with octave?
>
> I believe I have already heard reports of people using this with
> Octave. However, the package itself isn't under a free license (it has
> no license at all), so a prerequisite would be to convince the author
> to give it a free license. It is Google's own requirement that
> students must work only on free code.

In this case, the GSoC project should deals only with the graphic
part. Some months ago I've uploaded to Octave Forge the OctPROJ
package (http://octave.sourceforge.net/octproj/index.html) in order to
use the PROJ.4 library inside GNU Octave
(http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/), so the cartographic calculations are
not a problem

Cheers

> - Jordi G. H.

José Luis García Pallero
[hidden email]
(o<
/ / \
V_/_
Use Debian GNU/Linux and enjoy!
grg

Re: More summer of code ideas needed!

grg
Hi Jordi,

I've contacted the author about licencing m_map, but I cannot help with how to do it exactly.
Could you provide some information on how to do it without too much pain, in case he is interested?

Many thanks in advance,
grg

2013/3/19 grg <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Jordi,
>
> I've contacted the author about licencing m_map, but I cannot help with how
> to do it exactly.
> Could you provide some information on how to do it without too much pain, in
> case he is interested?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> grg

Another question is: is the Octave graphic part capable to mimic the
m_map behavior?

José Luis García Pallero
[hidden email]
(o<
/ / \
V_/_
Use Debian GNU/Linux and enjoy!

Re: More summer of code ideas needed!

Michele Martone-2
On 20130318@16:21, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> Mentoring organisation applications for Google Summer of Code are now open!
>
>     http://google-opensource.blogspot.ca/2013/03/mentoring-organization-applications-now.html
>
> I have been cleaning up our ideas page in preparation for this:
>
>     http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Low-Level_I.2FO
>
> This has resulted in a number of ideas from past years being reworked
> or removed. We need more ideas! It would be nice if we could get more
> ideas for the Octave Forge packages.
>
> So, what are your ideas? What else could students work on? Edit the
> wiki or let me know and I can work it into the wiki.

Well, I don't know whether this is a priority for Octave, but in case it
makes sense, I would have no problem mentoring a project of completing /
hardening the "sparsersb" plugin http://librsb.sourceforge.net/#a_sparsersb .

The plugin is almost ready and it needs solid testing / review (and
this, by definition, cannot be done by me), so I don't know whether this
fits well in a GSoC project !

Re: More summer of code ideas needed!

Pantxo
Hello,

How about implementing audiorecorder/audioplayer classes through PortAudio or any advanced cross-platform library (rtaudio ...). This would allow recording and playing sound on other platforms than unix. This was suggested earlier on this list but not added to the list of potential GSOC projects.

Pantxo

Re: More summer of code ideas needed!

Lukas Reichlin-4
On 19.03.2013, at 10:40, am304 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
>> Simulink is way too much for a summer project. It's not an addition to
>> Octave, but the creation of a whole new program that happens to use
>> Octave. It would be comparable to having a student implement all of
>> Octave during the summer.
>
> Yes, you're probably right, sorry.
>
> Another suggestion would be to have, if not a GUI, at least some functions
> to automatically or interactively tune a (PID) controller for a given plant
> (described by a transfer function or a state-space representation), based on
> requirements such as overshoot, rise time, settling time, etc...
>
> Arnaud

Do you have something in mind like the example script optiPID.m from the control package? It minimizes the ITAE criterion, max overshoot and sensitivity for a PID controller using an objective function, and can be adapted to other criterions.

Lukas

On 19 March 2013 06:19, pantxo diribarne <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How about implementing audiorecorder/audioplayer classes through PortAudio
> or any advanced cross-platform library (rtaudio ...). This would allow
> recording and playing sound on other platforms than unix. This was suggested
> earlier on this list but not added to the list of potential GSOC projects.

Yes, this is a good idea. I was thinking of this myself. I've added it
to the wiki:

    http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Fix_audio_processing

I've added you as a possible mentor. I hope this is ok.

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 8:37 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 18 March 2013 18:17, Patrick Noffke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> So, what are your ideas? What else could students work on? Edit the
>> wiki or let me know and I can work it into the wiki.
>>

> How about implementing iccread, iccwrite, makecform, and applycform?
>
> Possibly OF, but using the littlecms library would make a lot of sense.

I'm not familiar with these functions. Would you be able to give a bit
more context about them, and what a student would need to know to be
successful and how difficult would it be?

These functions are useful for color management, in particular for converting data (especially images) between color spaces.  ICC profiles are essentially used to store look-up tables or matrix transforms (or both) that define the conversions.  For example, to convert an CMYK image to sRGB, you would load a "print" ICC profile that defines the conversion from CMYK to L*a*b* (the CIE color space that is supposed to match the human visual system), then load another profile that defines the conversion from L*a*b* to sRGB (there is a standard profile for this conversion (IEC 61966-2-1), which is why ML has a built-in conversion from sRGB to L*a*b*).  To do the above conversions in ML, you would use the following code:

cmykImage = double(imread('cmyk-image-filename.tif'));
iccProfile = iccread('icc-profile-filename.icc');
labImage = applycform(cmykImage, makecform('clut', iccProfile, 'AToB3'));
rgbImage = applycform(labImage, makecform('lab2srgb'));

The 'AToB3' selects one of the color transforms (look-up tables) contained in the profile.  This one is "Absolute Colorimetric."  More details on ICC profiles may be obtained from the ICC spec, available at http://www.color.org/icc_specs2.xalter

Knowledge of ICC profiles (at least knowledge of their application) would be a prerequisite.  Since littlecms (http://www.littlecms.com/) implements all the necessary functions for reading, writing, and applying profiles, it would be primarily a matter of integrating this library into octave (assuming that is the preferred implementation -- one could certainly read the ICC files directly, but why reinvent that particular wheel).

I'm not clear on the rules/etiquette for matching the interface for ML functions.  Let me know if you need any input in this regard.

I would be willing to be a part-time mentor.  I'm not very familiar with the octave code (I looked at it long ago trying to explore some GUI options), but I'd be happy to help test, especially making sure the conversions are working correctly.

Please let me know if you need any more input.

Thanks,
Pat

On 19 March 2013 11:33, Patrick Noffke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> These functions are useful for color management, in particular for
> converting data (especially images) between color spaces. ICC
> profiles are essentially used to store look-up tables or matrix
> transforms (or both) that define the conversions.

This sounds good. I've added your problem description to the wiki:

    http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Color_management_functions_in_image_package

If you want to tweak it, go ahead, it's a wiki.

> I would be willing to be a part-time mentor.

All mentoring is part-time. The upper limit of how much time you're
expected to devote to it per week is 10 hours.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: More summer of code ideas needed!

Pantxo

2013/3/19 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]>
On 19 March 2013 06:19, pantxo diribarne <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How about implementing audiorecorder/audioplayer classes through PortAudio
> or any advanced cross-platform library (rtaudio ...). This would allow
> recording and playing sound on other platforms than unix. This was suggested
> earlier on this list but not added to the list of potential GSOC projects.

Yes, this is a good idea. I was thinking of this myself. I've added it
to the wiki:

    http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Fix_audio_processing

I've added you as a possible mentor. I hope this is ok.

- Jordi G. H.

I'm afraid my C++ skills are really poor, I thus won't be able to mentor any student.
Sorry.

Pantxo

Re: More summer of code ideas needed!

am304
Thanks, I wasn't aware of it. I'll check it out.

Arnaud

Sent from my iPhone

On 19 Mar 2013, at 11:05, "Lukas Reichlin-4 [via Octave]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 19.03.2013, at 10:40, am304 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
>> Simulink is way too much for a summer project. It's not an addition to
>> Octave, but the creation of a whole new program that happens to use
>> Octave. It would be comparable to having a student implement all of
>> Octave during the summer.
>
> Yes, you're probably right, sorry.
>
> Another suggestion would be to have, if not a GUI, at least some functions
> to automatically or interactively tune a (PID) controller for a given plant
> (described by a transfer function or a state-space representation), based on
> requirements such as overshoot, rise time, settling time, etc...
>
> Arnaud
Do you have something in mind like the example script optiPID.m from the control package? It minimizes the ITAE criterion, max overshoot and sensitivity for a PID controller using an objective function, and can be adapted to other criterions.

Lukas

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/More-summer-of-code-ideas-needed-tp4650945p4650978.html
To unsubscribe from More summer of code ideas needed!, click here.
NAML
12