Moving financial package from SourceForge

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Moving financial package from SourceForge

Parsiad Azimzadeh
Hi,

I would like to move the financial package http://octave.sourceforge.net/financial/index.html to GitHub https://github.com/octave-financial/, due to previous conversations on the mailing list about SourceForge's new business model.

I'm not sure, however, if I should do this: is it better to make an Octave organization on GitHub? Or is it better to avoid GitHub altogether? Suggestions very welcome.

Thanks,
Parsiad
--
Parsiad Azimzadeh [http://parsiad.ca]
PhD candidate

DC 3594 - University of Waterloo,
200 University Avenue West,
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving financial package from SourceForge

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 6:16 PM, Parsiad Azimzadeh
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to move the financial package
> http://octave.sourceforge.net/financial/index.html to GitHub
> https://github.com/octave-financial/, due to previous conversations on the
> mailing list about SourceForge's new business model.
>
> I'm not sure, however, if I should do this: is it better to make an Octave
> organization on GitHub? Or is it better to avoid GitHub altogether?
> Suggestions very welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Parsiad
> --
> Parsiad Azimzadeh [http://parsiad.ca]
> PhD candidate
>
> DC 3594 - University of Waterloo,
> 200 University Avenue West,
> Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1

My opinion is that the future of Octave-Forge should be distributed.
This means no centralized repo, every dev host their package where
they want and OF just handles the url [1].
So I am in favor of the move.

[1]: http://pkg.julialang.org/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving financial package from SourceForge

Mike Miller-4
In reply to this post by Parsiad Azimzadeh
On Sun, Oct 02, 2016 at 16:16:41 +0000, Parsiad Azimzadeh wrote:
> I would like to move the financial package
> http://octave.sourceforge.net/financial/index.html to GitHub
> https://github.com/octave-financial/, due to previous conversations on the
> mailing list about SourceForge's new business model.
>
> I'm not sure, however, if I should do this: is it better to make an Octave
> organization on GitHub? Or is it better to avoid GitHub altogether?
> Suggestions very welcome.

The primary advantage of GitHub is (potential) contributors and project
discovery.

Both platforms offer VCS hosting and hosting of source and binary
releases (I think).

Both platforms are commercial and proprietary.

IMHO one is no more "evil" than the other, both are equally non-free. I
am personally comfortable using either one (with my own self-hosted
copies of projects that are important to me).

One important thing to point out is that there has been and is still a
policy in effect that all "official" packages [1] must have a code
repository hosted within the SourceForge Octave Forge project. So even
if your primary development occurs on GitHub (or elsewhere), there must
be a SourceForge mirror that is updated at least once every time you
want to make a release.

[1]: meaning "can be installed with `pkg install -forge`"

--
mike

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving financial package from SourceForge

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 9:46 PM, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 02, 2016 at 16:16:41 +0000, Parsiad Azimzadeh wrote:
>> I would like to move the financial package
>> http://octave.sourceforge.net/financial/index.html to GitHub
>> https://github.com/octave-financial/, due to previous conversations on the
>> mailing list about SourceForge's new business model.
>>
>> I'm not sure, however, if I should do this: is it better to make an Octave
>> organization on GitHub? Or is it better to avoid GitHub altogether?
>> Suggestions very welcome.
>
> The primary advantage of GitHub is (potential) contributors and project
> discovery.
>
> Both platforms offer VCS hosting and hosting of source and binary
> releases (I think).
>
> Both platforms are commercial and proprietary.
>
> IMHO one is no more "evil" than the other, both are equally non-free. I
> am personally comfortable using either one (with my own self-hosted
> copies of projects that are important to me).
>
> One important thing to point out is that there has been and is still a
> policy in effect that all "official" packages [1] must have a code
> repository hosted within the SourceForge Octave Forge project. So even
> if your primary development occurs on GitHub (or elsewhere), there must
> be a SourceForge mirror that is updated at least once every time you
> want to make a release.
>
> [1]: meaning "can be installed with `pkg install -forge`"
This can change anytime! in particular `pkg install -url "htttp://myrepo.org"`
But this is for another thread.

>
> --
> mike
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving financial package from SourceForge

Mike Miller-4
On Mon, Oct 03, 2016 at 11:04:39 +0200, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
> This can change anytime! in particular `pkg install -url "htttp://myrepo.org"`
> But this is for another thread.

Sure. I intentionally ignored possible side discussions like "what might
pkg be able to do in the future?" or "do we want to make an official
Octave Forge GitHub team / move Octave Forge infrastructure to GitHub?"
or "what about Agora?"

--
mike