New Command Window widget as GSoC project?

New Command Window widget as GSoC project?

mmuetzel
It was mentioned some time in the past that the Command Window in the GUI is probably going to be replaced with a cross-platform Qt widget.
To be honest, I don't know what this would involve precisely and how large of a project that would be. But could that be a suitable project for a GSoC student?

Markus

Re: New Command Window widget as GSoC project?

apjanke-floss

On 3/12/19 10:28 AM, "Markus Mützel" wrote:
> It was mentioned some time in the past that the Command Window in the GUI is probably going to be replaced with a cross-platform Qt widget.
> To be honest, I don't know what this would involve precisely and how large of a project that would be. But could that be a suitable project for a GSoC student?

Is there an existing cross-platform Qt widget(s) that's a candidate for
adopting here? Or would this be a proposal to write a new Qt
console/terminal widget that Octave can use?

Re: New Command Window widget as GSoC project?

Mike Miller-4
On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 15:53:47 -0400, Andrew Janke wrote:

> On 3/12/19 10:28 AM, "Markus Mützel" wrote:
> > It was mentioned some time in the past that the Command Window in the GUI is probably going to be replaced with a cross-platform Qt widget.
> > To be honest, I don't know what this would involve precisely and how large of a project that would be. But could that be a suitable project for a GSoC student?
>
> Is there an existing cross-platform Qt widget(s) that's a candidate for
> adopting here? Or would this be a proposal to write a new Qt
> console/terminal widget that Octave can use?

As I understand it, the idea was proposed years ago to make the command
window *not* be a true terminal emulator, instead develop a brand new
command window widget that is more like an interactive text area. So all
prompting, input, and output would be done with Qt.

This might make it easier to do things like move the cursor back through
the buffer, insert hyperlinks into error messages and doc strings, and
have a common implementation on all operating systems.

On 3/12/19 4:23 PM, Mike Miller wrote:

> As I understand it, the idea was proposed years ago to make the command
> window *not* be a true terminal emulator, instead develop a brand new
> command window widget that is more like an interactive text area. So all
> prompting, input, and output would be done with Qt.

Yes, that has been my plan for a long time now, but I haven't had
sufficient time to actually do the work.

> This might make it easier to do things like move the cursor back through
> the buffer, insert hyperlinks into error messages and doc strings, and
> have a common implementation on all operating systems.

Having the same implementation on all systems would be good.  We could
also eliminate the separate driver program on Unixy systems that does a
setsid call to give up the controlling terminal (necessary for less to
work properly as the pager).  At one time I thought this change to the
command window could also improve interrupt handling but now I'm not
sure.  We would lose the ability to execute text-based programs in the
command window (for example, using "system ('emacs -nw')") but that's
not fully functional now anyway, so we're not losing much.

jwe