New package repo request - raspi

JohnD
I have a new package I am working on for a raspberrypi toolkit for octave,
similar in functions to the raspberry pi toolkit for matlab [1].

Most of the basic functions are now in a working state (basic io, servos,
serial, i2c, serial, linux) using pigpio [2] and a couple of supplement
scripts installed on the raspberry pi.

So,  can I get a hg repo added on Octave forge to push the code to -
something like 'raspi' or 'raspberrypi' or 'raspberrypiio' in order to
prepare for an initial release ?

John D

[1] https://www.mathworks.com/help/supportpkg/raspberrypiio/index.html
[2] http://abyz.me.uk/rpi/pigpio/

Re: New package repo request - raspi

siko1056
On 11/28/20 11:22 PM, JohnD wrote:

> I have a new package I am working on for a raspberrypi toolkit for octave,
> similar in functions to the raspberry pi toolkit for matlab [1].
>
> Most of the basic functions are now in a working state (basic io, servos,
> serial, i2c, serial, linux) using pigpio [2] and a couple of supplement
> scripts installed on the raspberry pi.
>
> So,  can I get a hg repo added on Octave forge to push the code to -
> something like 'raspi' or 'raspberrypi' or 'raspberrypiio' in order to
> prepare for an initial release ?
>
> John D

Your raspberrypi toolkit looks great, thanks for considering to share it
with other Octave users =)

I am involved as Octave Forge admin, but I can only devote time to
maintain existing packages there.  Currently there are no plans to
extend the Octave Forge project.

The "Package Extensions Index" [3] is the public collection of Octave
packages, that contains all Octave Forge packages and some more.  It
offers an easy way to get your new package listed there today [4].

If you want to opt-in for inclusion of your package into the MS Windows
installer, for example, this is independent of being an Octave Forge
package and has to be negotiated with the MXE-Octave (MS Windows
installer) team.

Looking forward for your new package,

Kai

[3] https://gnu-octave.github.io/pkg-index/
[4] https://github.com/gnu-octave/pkg-index/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

RE: New package repo request - raspi

JohnD

Ok - so there are no plans on hosting new packages in the Octave forge in the mercurial repos, or releasing packages there ?

On 11/30/20 9:49 PM, JohnD wrote:

> [...]

To my knowledge not.  Recently, there was a discussion on Discourse [5]
and the wiki [6], which you might know about.

Until September Olaf was the last-admin-standing, as all other Octave
Forge admins one-by-one could no longer devote time to the project.  The
sad truth is, the Octave Forge project looks still pretty nice, but
maintaining it, releasing/checking a single package, not to say adding a
new package, is "stupid unpaid" work with little automation on the admin
side.

My sole devotion as Octave Forge admin since October is trying to avoid
that the last few active nice packages (I use) give up.  Releasing
existing packages, thus some development still happens there.

If you like Octave Forge, you are of course any time warmly welcomed to
become admin as well and revitalize the project as you think it is best
=)  And you can add your package yourself, as you please.  If nobody is
willing to work on Octave Forge, the Octave Package Extension Index [3]
or some other "pkg"-compatible mechanism must take over.

Kai

[1] https://www.mathworks.com/help/supportpkg/raspberrypiio/index.html
[2] http://abyz.me.uk/rpi/pigpio/
[3] https://gnu-octave.github.io/pkg-index/
[4] https://github.com/gnu-octave/pkg-index/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
[5]
https://octave.discourse.group/t/online-developer-meeting-2020-11-10-the-future-of-octave-packages/349
[6] https://wiki.octave.org/Online_Developer_Meeting_(2020-11-10)

RE: New package repo request - raspi

JohnD

I can become an admin if needed and help out. Before now, I haven't really asked to be since I think I may be the user releasing the most packages so it has kind of been a conflict of interests in terms of a reviewing something that I prepared.

Im ok with octave forge slowly going away however it would be nice if pkg command worked with the index without the need to specify the whole url so make it easier to work with packages.

ie: I know if want to install the image package, so I have to go to the index, search for the package, copy the url and paste it into a octave pkg command, rather than pkg install image

Also, if moving away from octave-forge, perhaps the octave-forge pages should show a link to the index.

On 11/30/20 1:03 AM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:

> If you want to opt-in for inclusion of your package into the MS Windows
> installer, for example, this is independent of being an Octave Forge
> package and has to be negotiated with the MXE-Octave (MS Windows
> installer) team.

Kai, unless I'm confusing identities here, JohnD does the majority of
the work on mxe-octave so I guess the discussion would be internal.  :-)

JohnD, yes, we are looking at moving more toward being an aggregator of
package info rather than directly hosting package development and
blessing and releasing packages as a collection.  The idea is to lower
the barrier of entry for people to post their collections of functions
somewhere, and to eliminate the perception that the Octave developers
are somehow responsible for tracking bugs and maintaining all the
contributed packages.

(Please correct me if this statement doesn't accurately represent the
conclusions of our recent meeting.)

RE: New package repo request - raspi

JohnD

Yeah I wasn’t too concerned of whether I would be able to get in mxe :)

I created a project and pushed the code to source forge and will be finishing it up soon

https://sourceforge.net/p/octave-raspberrypi/code/ci/default/tree/

On 12/1/20 3:35 AM, JohnD wrote:

> [...]

JohnD (lostbard) sorry for the identity confusion *oops*.

>> JohnD, yes, we are looking at moving more toward being an aggregator of
>> package info rather than directly hosting package development and
>> blessing and releasing packages as a collection.  The idea is to lower
>> the barrier of entry for people to post their collections of functions
>> somewhere, and to eliminate the perception that the Octave developers
>> are somehow responsible for tracking bugs and maintaining all the
>> contributed packages.
>>
>> (Please correct me if this statement doesn't accurately represent the
>> conclusions of our recent meeting.)
>>
>> jwe

There is nothing to add to your statement.

On 11/30/20 11:13 PM, JohnD wrote:

 > I can become an admin if needed and help out. Before now, I haven't
really asked to be since I think I may be the user releasing the most
packages so it has kind of been a conflict of interests in terms of a
reviewing something that I prepared.

The power is yours.  Sure we had already some releases together as
lostbard *oops again* and we can keep continuing this procedure.  Just
adding new packages is beyond the time I want to devote to this project.

 > Im ok with octave forge slowly going away however it would be nice if
pkg command worked with the index without the need to specify the whole
url so make it easier to work with packages.

 > ie: I know if want to install the image package, so I have to go to
the index, search for the package, copy the url and paste it into a
octave pkg command, rather than pkg install image

Exactly this is my project for probably end of December / next year.

 > Also, if moving away from octave-forge, perhaps the octave-forge
pages should show a link to the index.

I prefer to do this step next year, if it is more apparent that nobody
really cares for Octave Forge anymore.

Kai