New website

1234
Jan

New website

Jan

Hello maintainers,

I am 21 years old student of civil engineering using Octave mostly for linear algebra calculations while studying. Octave saved me a lot of time with solving matrices for me, that's why I would like to thank you with a special Christmas present.

This present is called new website. I am programming web applications in my spare time, so I decided to make a little remake of the current old/ugly website. You can see the new design on the following link: http://greatdanton.github.io/Octave-website/index.html

1) As you might notice website is nowhere near being complete, but it's getting better with every day. I tried to follow current trends in web design, so the final result will be elegant responsive website. Please tell me what you think, I would love to hear your suggestions, comments (what is missing on the website, what would you like to see, etc...).

2) I would need few screenshots of what one is able to do with Octave. I am using it only for eigenvectors calculations, matrix multiplications from cmd line and those screenshots are not really appealing thing to see.

Maybe post/send me/ some of the interesting stuff you did with it (graphs?)

Also I would need some help with the text on the website (capabilities section, etc...). So far I just copied few sentences from FAQ or the current website.

3). I tried to keep file sizes at minimum, to ensure faster website load. I hope in 2016 we dont need to watch for every extra kb that needs to be downloaded, so I used icon font as well.

I am looking forward to hearing from you,

Jan

Re: New website

nrjank
On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 7:37 AM, Jan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello maintainers,
>

> I am 21 years old student of civil engineering using Octave mostly for
> linear algebra calculations while studying. Octave saved me a lot of time
> with solving matrices for me, that's why I would like to thank you with a
> special Christmas present.
>
> This present is called new website. I am programming web applications in my
> spare time, so I decided to make a little remake of the current old/ugly
> website. You can see the new design on the following link:
> http://greatdanton.github.io/Octave-website/index.html
>

> 1) As you might notice website is nowhere near being complete, but it's
> getting better with every day. I tried to follow current trends in web
> design, so the final result will be elegant responsive website. Please tell
> me what you think, I would love to hear your suggestions, comments (what is
> missing on the website, what would you like to see, etc...).
>

> 2) I would need few screenshots of what one is able to do with Octave. I am
> using it only for eigenvectors calculations, matrix multiplications from cmd
> line and those screenshots are not really appealing thing to see.
>

> Maybe post/send me/ some of the interesting stuff you did with it (graphs?)
>

> Also I would need some help with the text on the website (capabilities
> section, etc...). So far I just copied few sentences from FAQ or the current
> website.
>

> 3). I tried to keep file sizes at minimum, to ensure faster website load. I
> hope in 2016 we dont need to watch for every extra kb that needs to be
> downloaded, so I used icon font as well.
>

> I am looking forward to hearing from you,
>

> Jan

That is a very clean look.

Some thoughts: I'm not a fan of the 'click the arrow to slide down and read more' entry to the page. Also, I'm in the office with no signal so I can't check for myself, but how well does it appear in a mobile browser?  That's a big factor in the google pagerank algorithm now.  I believe google has a 'mobile view test' page somewhere.

Nick J.

Re: New website

Alex Krolick
Hi all,

As a reminder, I started work on a website redesign a month or two ago and made a fair bit of progress.

Jan,
Perhaps we could combine efforts on this? It looks like you are just getting started with your redesign.

On Dec 24, 2015, at 3:37 AM, Jan <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Jan

Re: New website

Jan
@Nick: I am not big fan of click on arrows either, but it gives site a
modern look and feel. In case this cause confusion we can always reduce
the height of the front page. According to google mobile view test page,
this site is mobile friendly (see attachment), but on picture the arrow
is not in the middle of the circle (it's mostly connected with version
of the browser).

@Alex: I am always willing to collaborate. If the content of the site is
known, it's easy to shape the rest of the website. You can always
contact me via email or irc (nick: GreatDanton).

mobileFriendly.png (148K) Download Attachment

Re: New website

edmund ronald
yes, well concerning mobile friendly, maybe we could have a version of an Octave kernel that conforms to Jupyter, and sideload that to our iThings ...

anybody with a Mac can now compile apps locally and load them on their iPads or iPhones, so various flavors of mobile Octave become possible.

On 12/24/2015 03:40 PM, Alex Krolick wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As a reminder, I started work on a website redesign a month or two ago
> and made a fair bit of progress.
>
> http://whokilledtheelectricmonk.github.io/octave-web/
>
> Jan,
> Perhaps we could combine efforts on this? It looks like you are just
> getting started with your redesign.

Yes, I think it would be best if we could work together on improving the
web site.

I prefer the site Alex made.  It has a nice clean appearance but also
has more information immediately available.  For example, I don't have
to scroll to find out that Octave is a scientific programming language.

Re: New website

Alex Krolick
This is the source Git repo: https://github.com/whokilledtheelectricmonk/octave-web. The static site assets are compiled in _site from Markdown + templates.

What is the preferred method of advancing development? Move to a hosted Hg repository on Savannah?

On Dec 26, 2015, at 3:01 PM, John W. Eaton <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 12/24/2015 03:40 PM, Alex Krolick wrote:
Hi all,

As a reminder, I started work on a website redesign a month or two ago
and made a fair bit of progress.

http://whokilledtheelectricmonk.github.io/octave-web/

Jan,
Perhaps we could combine efforts on this? It looks like you are just
getting started with your redesign.

Yes, I think it would be best if we could work together on improving the web site.

I prefer the site Alex made.  It has a nice clean appearance but also has more information immediately available.  For example, I don't have to scroll to find out that Octave is a scientific programming language.

Website update

Alex Krolick
Hi everyone,
As a reminder I'd started work on a website update a few weeks ago and had been soliciting suggestions. Does anyone have any further comments? If no major changes are required I'd like to go ahead and set up time to sit down plan the migration.

On Sun, Dec 27, 2015 at 3:07 PM Alex Krolick <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Re: Website update

Daniel Sebald
On 02/15/2016 10:12 PM, Alex Krolick wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> As a reminder I'd started work on a website update a few weeks ago and
> had been soliciting suggestions. Does anyone have any further comments?

This example on the page fails as nonconformant:

b = [4 9 2]' % Transposed row vector
A = [ 1 3 1;
       3 5 9 ]
x = A \ b    % Solve the system by inverting A

plus it is difficult to see the apostrophe with the turquoise color.

Dan

--

Dan Sebald
email: daniel(DOT)sebald(AT)ieee(DOT)org

Re: Website update

Alex Krolick
On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 9:54 PM Daniel J Sebald <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 02/15/2016 10:12 PM, Alex Krolick wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> As a reminder I'd started work on a website update a few weeks ago and
> had been soliciting suggestions. Does anyone have any further comments?

This example on the page fails as nonconformant:

Good catch, I updated the matrix to 3x3.

b = [4 9 2]' % Transposed row vector
A = [ 1 3 1;
       3 5 9 ]
x = A \ b    % Solve the system by inverting A

plus it is difficult to see the apostrophe with the turquoise color.

Swapped the row vector' for a column.

Dan

--

Dan Sebald
email: daniel(DOT)sebald(AT)ieee(DOT)org

Re: Website update

siko1056
While working on the website, I remembered this lost discussion.

In short: There were two "X-Mas present proposals" for a website redesign.

a) Jan

Preview: http://greatdanton.github.io/Octave-website/index.html
Source: https://github.com/GreatDanton/Octave-website

b) Alex

Preview (broken): http://whokilledtheelectricmonk.github.io/octave-web/
Source: https://github.com/alexkrolick/octave-web

The proposal by Alex was favored. It requires ruby + jekyll to build a static website.

As Octave 4.2 is taking shape, maybe the website might get a reshape, as well. If Alex and/or Jan were still interested, I would help him to deploy the static page in a subdirectory of the current website for testing. Later for the 4.2 release, the new website can take over. The website development might move from GitHub to a new Savannah group (I don't know if one can register another hg-repo in the current group).

Best,
Kai

Re: Website update

Mike Miller-4
On Wed, Jul 06, 2016 at 04:23:56 -0700, siko1056 wrote:

> While working on the website, I remembered this lost discussion.
>
> In short: There were two "X-Mas present proposals" for a website redesign.
>
> a) Jan
>
> Preview: http://greatdanton.github.io/Octave-website/index.html
> Source: https://github.com/GreatDanton/Octave-website
>
> b) Alex
>
> Preview (broken): http://whokilledtheelectricmonk.github.io/octave-web/
> Source: https://github.com/alexkrolick/octave-web
>
> The proposal by Alex was favored. It requires ruby + jekyll to build a
> static website.
>
> As Octave 4.2 is taking shape, maybe the website might get a reshape, as
> well. If Alex and/or Jan were still interested, I would help him to deploy
> the static page in a subdirectory of the current website for testing. Later
> for the 4.2 release, the new website can take over. The website development
> might move from GitHub to a new Savannah group (I don't know if one can
> register another hg-repo in the current group).

I'm afraid we are at the mercy of the limitations of Savannah and GNU
project hosting in this regard. The web site must be deployed in the cvs
repository as it is configured now. Also Savannah does not allow more
than one Mercurial repository per project.

The web site can certainly be maintained in a hg.octave.org repository,
for example, and built using some static site generation tools such as
jekyll (which I am in favor of). But someone would have to run the
generation task manually, copy the generated files into the project site
cvs repository, and cvs commit to deploy it.

Re: Website update

Alex Krolick
On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 9:03 AM Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 06, 2016 at 04:23:56 -0700, siko1056 wrote:
> While working on the website, I remembered this lost discussion.
>
> In short: There were two "X-Mas present proposals" for a website redesign.
>
> a) Jan
>
> Preview: http://greatdanton.github.io/Octave-website/index.html
> Source: https://github.com/GreatDanton/Octave-website
>
> b) Alex
>
> Preview (broken): http://whokilledtheelectricmonk.github.io/octave-web/
> Source: https://github.com/alexkrolick/octave-web
>
> The proposal by Alex was favored. It requires ruby + jekyll to build a
> static website.
>
> As Octave 4.2 is taking shape, maybe the website might get a reshape, as
> well. If Alex and/or Jan were still interested, I would help him to deploy
> the static page in a subdirectory of the current website for testing. Later
> for the 4.2 release, the new website can take over. The website development
> might move from GitHub to a new Savannah group (I don't know if one can
> register another hg-repo in the current group).

I'm afraid we are at the mercy of the limitations of Savannah and GNU
project hosting in this regard. The web site must be deployed in the cvs
repository as it is configured now. Also Savannah does not allow more
than one Mercurial repository per project.

The web site can certainly be maintained in a hg.octave.org repository,
for example, and built using some static site generation tools such as
jekyll (which I am in favor of). But someone would have to run the
generation task manually, copy the generated files into the project site
cvs repository, and cvs commit to deploy it.

The site is built in Jekyll and generates static files. It could be easily copied from Git to a Hg repository. I think this was previously discussed and turned down in favor of hosting on GNU infrastructure, but it is possible to use a custom domain on Github pages.

Re: Website update

Mike Miller-4
On Wed, Jul 06, 2016 at 16:28:15 +0000, Alex Krolick wrote:
> The site is built in Jekyll and generates static files. It could be easily
> copied from Git to a Hg repository. I think this was previously discussed
> and turned down in favor of hosting on GNU infrastructure, but it is
> possible to use a custom domain on Github pages
> <https://help.github.com/articles/using-a-custom-domain-with-github-pages/>.

I'm familiar with Jekyll and static site generation and GitHub pages and
all that.

I like Jekyll and I believe it may be an appropriate tool for generating
the Octave project web site. Hosting on GitHub is not (but fine for your
personal testing purposes).

If we continue to host the project web site on www.gnu.org (which I
think may not be absolutely *required*, but is encouraged and
preferred), then the site must continue to be deployed via "cvs commit"
to the /web/octave CVS repository on Savannah.

The obvious conclusion is that there will be two repositories for the
web site, one for maintaining the text source files and images,
preferably in a Mercurial repository hosted on hg.octave.org, and the
CVS repository for deploying the site after it has been generated.

I'm imagining some kind of "make deploy" target that runs jekyll, copies
the generated site into the CVS project directory, and does a cvs commit
with a generated commit message based on the hg id of the source repo.

Re: Website update

siko1056
I agree to Mike, lets develop the webpage at some

http://hg.octave.org/octave-website

porting the repo https://github.com/alexkrolick/octave-web there using "hg convert" (I just tried this, works out of the box). I am also afraid, that a hands on will be required for publishing the page using CVS. This might be automated, as Mike suggests, but for now doing it manually doesn't worsen the current situation.

The next steps are:

1. Who can create hg.octave.org/octave-website?
2. Who has access to that repo all maintainers? Than I can convert the repo. Especially Alex should have access.

Kai

Re: Website update

siko1056
To not fall asleep again, I uploaded the website to a sub-directory:

https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/new/

created with jekyll, using this modified _config.yml, sent as a pull request:

https://github.com/alexkrolick/octave-web/pull/2

Are these values okay? I think until the other repo is setup, we might continue on github?

Best,
Kai

Re: Website update

marco atzeri-2
On 12/07/2016 23:05, siko1056 wrote:
> To not fall asleep again, I uploaded the website to a sub-directory:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/new/

nice but last version is 4.0.3 ;-)

> created with jekyll, using this modified _config.yml, sent as a pull
> request:
>
> https://github.com/alexkrolick/octave-web/pull/2
>
> Are these values okay? I think until the other repo is setup, we might
> continue on github?
>
> Best,
> Kai

Re: Website update

siko1056
Dear Jordi,

Can you create a website repository http://hg.octave.org/octave-web with push rights for all GNU Octave Savannah group members and for Alex Krolick? As you are the Contact for all repos in http://hg.octave.org I think you can create it.

Thanks in advance,

Kai

Re: Website update

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On Mon, 2016-08-15 at 04:58 -0700, siko1056 [via Octave] wrote:
> Can you create a website repository http://hg.octave.org/octave-web
> with push rights for all GNU Octave Savannah group members and for
> Alex Krolick?

I need the public ssh keys of the interested people. I think I already
have yours, Kai, but I need Alex's. I can't easily fetch them from
Savannah, I don't think.

- Jordi G. H.

1234