No response of Octave GUI (MacOS Big Sur)

No response of Octave GUI (MacOS Big Sur)

Smith James

Greetings,

After updating MacOS to BigSur, then open Octave to work. However, I cannot open it, and it does not respond. Then I reinstalled the octave several times (it takes a long time to download), the octave still does not work, it does not respond, and there is no prompt! I can't do anything. Please fix it. In addition, before I upgraded MacOS Big Sur 11.0.1, the previous version of MacOS can use Octave, but the software always crashes. It always has no response. I have contacted Apple and they asked me to ask the developers of Octave to fix it.

Best,
Smith

Re: No response of Octave GUI (MacOS Big Sur)

Marius Schamschula-5
James,

I don’t use Homebrew, but rather MacPorts. Currently, Qt5-base is broken on Big Sur with the latest Xcode 12.2. This will definitely break the GUI.

On Nov 24, 2020, at 11:04 PM, Smith James <[hidden email]> wrote:

Greetings,

After updating MacOS to BigSur, then open Octave to work. However, I cannot open it, and it does not respond. Then I reinstalled the octave several times (it takes a long time to download), the octave still does not work, it does not respond, and there is no prompt! I can't do anything. Please fix it. In addition, before I upgraded MacOS Big Sur 11.0.1, the previous version of MacOS can use Octave, but the software always crashes. It always has no response. I have contacted Apple and they asked me to ask the developers of Octave to fix it.

Best,
Smith

Marius
--
Marius Schamschula

Re: No response of Octave GUI (MacOS Big Sur)

chechu
Good evening for everyone.

On Big Sur is working.
As was pointed out qt5-base on release 5.14 is failling on big sur , but the next git revision pending to apply, brings 5.15 and is working.

Macports version of Octave of the revision 5.2.0 is working fine, the X11 crash can be by-passed if you are launching as root or #sudo octave —force-gui.
By the way, is easy to ask for fixes, hope that when there are requests for your logs and feedback you will get on it.

Be safe, sincerely yours.