OCTAVE 5.2 IO PACKAGE

steph

I have successfully installed JAVA (64bit) and the IO package. When I use IO in a .m script the output in the command window is “Detected XLS interfaces:”, any output produced by script follows this. Any advice on how to suppress the “Detected XLS interfaces:”?

Re: Octave 5.2 io package

PhilipNienhuis
steph wrote
> I have successfully installed JAVA (64bit) and the IO package. When I use
> IO
> in a .m script the output in the command window is "Detected XLS
> interfaces:", any output produced by script follows this. Any advice on
> how
> to suppress the "Detected XLS interfaces:"?

That message is supposed to show up just once per Octave session. The
function that emits this message, xlsopen.m, scans for spreadsheet support
I/O and stores found interfaces in persistent variables.

Based upon your description, one possibility is that your scripts contain a
"clear -f" command somewhere; that's the most obvious way those persistent
variables will be wiped.
Another possibility is that you open spreadsheet files with different
interfaces each time. Can also happen if in one script a spreadsheet file is
opened with a specifically requested interface, and in another script no
interface is specified so xlsopen.m falls back to the default interface
(OCT).

That's about all I can say here without further info from your side about
what your scripts actually do with spreadsheet files.

BTW I decapitalized the subject line, we don't like shouting :-)

HTH
Philip

Re: Octave 5.2 io package

PhilipNienhuis
Hi Steph,

Please keep the mailing list in cc: or to:

The message is deliberately shown; there used to be, and in selected
cases there still are, good reasons for emitting it.
But admittedly these days the majority of users just use the built-in
OCT interface which is fairly OK and fast for .xlsx, painfully slow for
.ods, and simply never bother or don't know about e.g., Java-based
spreadsheet I/O interfaces that may work (sometimes much) better for them.

Your point is taken; you're not the first one to bring this up either. I
have some ideas on how to change it but ATM I'm working on getting
io-2.6.0 released and due to other priorities I'm afraid I'll have to
postpone this issue for a next release.

Thanks

Philip

[hidden email] wrote:
> Thank you very much Philip.

<snip netiquette>

> My routines read several Excel data files, my question is, can the message be suppressed? The message only show up once per session, you are correct. It just tells me something that I know already.
>
> Thanks again for your time
>
> Steph

RE: Octave 5.2 io package

steph
Hi Philip

This is certainly not a priority. I have a fairly complex model developed entirely in Matlab and I could run the model in Octave with minimal changes. I think this is a compliment to the Octave Developers!

[hidden email] wrote:
> Thank you very much Philip.

<snip netiquette>

> My routines read several Excel data files, my question is, can the message be suppressed? The message only show up once per session, you are correct. It just tells me something that I know already.
>
> Thanks again for your time
>
> Steph

PhilipNienhuis wrote

> Hi Steph,
>
> Please keep the mailing list in cc: or to:
>
> The message is deliberately shown; there used to be, and in selected
> cases there still are, good reasons for emitting it.
> But admittedly these days the majority of users just use the built-in
> OCT interface which is fairly OK and fast for .xlsx, painfully slow for
> .ods, and simply never bother or don't know about e.g., Java-based
> spreadsheet I/O interfaces that may work (sometimes much) better for them.
>
> Your point is taken; you're not the first one to bring this up either. I
> have some ideas on how to change it but ATM I'm working on getting
> io-2.6.0 released and due to other priorities I'm afraid I'll have to
> postpone this issue for a next release.

A bit to my own surprise I had to take up this issue anyway to fix what I
thought was just a minor cosmetic issue.

So, with imminent io-2.6.0 there's no more echo about detected interfaces,
unless users specifically ask for it by adding extra options to xlsread or
xlsopen.

Philip