[OF] package root level Makefile

Matthias W. Klein
Dear Olaf,

which is the most recent and recommended package root level Makefile? I
know of [1] and [2] (which are virtually identical); is there - by
chance - a different place with an even newer file?

I would like to make sure to base some tests I plan, for the ocl package
repository re-arrangement, on the latest recommended Makefile. (I have
some ideas how to combine the maintenance targets of my existing
Makefile and the standard Makefile, based on 'addpath' and 'autoload'.)

Thanks,

Matt

[1] https://octave.sourceforge.io/templates/Makefile

[2]
https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/example-package/ci/default/tree/plain-package/Makefile

Re: [OF] package root level Makefile

Olaf Till-2
On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 10:07:22PM +0100, Matthias W. Klein wrote:

> Dear Olaf,
>
> which is the most recent and recommended package root level Makefile? I
> know of [1] and [2] (which are virtually identical); is there - by
> chance - a different place with an even newer file?
>
> I would like to make sure to base some tests I plan, for the ocl package
> repository re-arrangement, on the latest recommended Makefile. (I have
> some ideas how to combine the maintenance targets of my existing
> Makefile and the standard Makefile, based on 'addpath' and 'autoload'.)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt
>

> [1] https://octave.sourceforge.io/templates/Makefile
>
> [2]
> https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/example-package/ci/default/tree/plain-package/Makefile
Hi Matt,

[1] (above) should be more or less up-to-date. People tend to adapt
the Makefile or even use their own one (with the same targets,
please). This one makes package installations in a separate tree, not
messing up system-wide and per-user installations, but some people
don't like that. And there are still problems with installations for
different Octave versions, since pkg() seems unable to correctly
handle them in the same local tree (but it can handle them in
system-wide installations).

A further problem is with __run_test_suite__, which seems to be broken
(for usage in the package Makefile) for recent Octave versions IIRR.

Olaf

Re: [OF] package root level Makefile

Andrew Janke-2

On 1/28/20 2:10 PM, Olaf Till wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 10:07:22PM +0100, Matthias W. Klein wrote:
>> Dear Olaf,
>>
>> which is the most recent and recommended package root level Makefile? I
>> know of [1] and [2] (which are virtually identical); is there - by
>> chance - a different place with an even newer file?
>>
>> I would like to make sure to base some tests I plan, for the ocl package
>> repository re-arrangement, on the latest recommended Makefile. (I have
>> some ideas how to combine the maintenance targets of my existing
>> Makefile and the standard Makefile, based on 'addpath' and 'autoload'.)
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Matt
>>

>> [1] https://octave.sourceforge.io/templates/Makefile
>>
>> [2]
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/example-package/ci/default/tree/plain-package/Makefile
>
> Hi Matt,
>
> [1] (above) should be more or less up-to-date. People tend to adapt
> the Makefile or even use their own one (with the same targets,
> please). This one makes package installations in a separate tree, not
> messing up system-wide and per-user installations, but some people
> don't like that. And there are still problems with installations for
> different Octave versions, since pkg() seems unable to correctly
> handle them in the same local tree (but it can handle them in
> system-wide installations).
>
> A further problem is with __run_test_suite__, which seems to be broken
> (for usage in the package Makefile) for recent Octave versions IIRR.
>
> Olaf

On this topic, I've forked the package build/doco-generation scripts and
created one that can extract Texinfo from classdef files, and creates
QHelp packages so your User Manual automatically shows up in the Octave
GUI's documentation browser. I'm curious to know if anyone else finds
this useful.

You can see it in Tablicious: https://github.com/apjanke/octave-tablicious.

Cheers,
Andrew