OctConf 2015 survey results

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
There have been only 14 people so far who have responded about where
would they like OctConf 2015 to happen, but I'm going to close it now:
it's a near perfect tie between UK, Germany, and Austria, with 5, 4,
and 5 votes respectively.

How odd, nobody seems to want to go to Italy?

Anyway, I say we should just go with the UK. We have at least one or
two Octave core developers there, the location is fairly central
between America and Europe, and almost all of us will speak the local
language.

Carnë, Colin, can you really do it?

Germans, Austrians, Italians, do you want to make a case for why we
should go to your countries instead of the UK?

- Jordi G. H.

Re: OctConf 2015 survey results

c.-2

On 28 Jan 2015, at 17:44, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Germans, Austrians, Italians, do you want to make a case for why we
> should go to your countries instead of the UK?

Actually I want to make a case against Milano this year.

I really think it may be inconvenient to come here until
end of October due to higher costs for travel and lodging.

I was offering to host in case we did not get other offers
from Europe, but it seems this is not the case ...

The cost issue actually also leads me to (slightly) prefer
Germany over UK, as I did not vote in the poll I am expressing
my vote now, which makes an exact 5-5-5 draw ;)

c.

Re: OctConf 2015 survey results

Sebastian Schöps
Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
Germans, Austrians, Italians, do you want to make a case for why we
should go to your countries instead of the UK?
Ok, I let me try to make a case for Darmstadt by offering some incentives

a) we can guarantee nice seminar rooms with eduroam
b) if we organize a few "keynotes" I can invite speakers
c) we can organize a nice social event e.g. visiting GSI's particle accelerator [1] or ESA's Space Operations Centre [2]

... and d) did I mention that Frankfurt airport is very close? :)

Sebastian

[1] https://www.gsi.de/en/
[2] http://www.esa.int/About_Us/ESOC

Fwd: OctConf 2015 survey results

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 8:12 PM, Sebastian Schöps <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
>> Germans, Austrians, Italians, do you want to make a case for why we
>> should go to your countries instead of the UK?
>
> Ok, I let me try to make a case for Darmstadt by offering some incentives
>
> a) we can guarantee nice seminar rooms with eduroam
> b) if we organize a few "keynotes" I can invite speakers
> c) we can organize a nice social event e.g. visiting GSI's particle
> accelerator [1] or ESA's Space Operations Centre [2]
>
> ... and d) did I mention that Frankfurt airport is very close? :)
>
> Sebastian
>
> [1] https://www.gsi.de/en/
> [2] http://www.esa.int/About_Us/ESOC

Hi all,

Sorry I missed the pool while I was getting married. Are we still voting? where?

Fwd: OctConf 2015 survey results

Carnë Draug
I originally sent this mail yesterday but it failed delivery so here
it is again.

On 28 January 2015 at 16:44, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There have been only 14 people so far who have responded about where
> would they like OctConf 2015 to happen, but I'm going to close it now:
> it's a near perfect tie between UK, Germany, and Austria, with 5, 4,
> and 5 votes respectively.

It's only been two days.  Maybe a few more days?

> Anyway, I say we should just go with the UK. We have at least one or
> two Octave core developers there, the location is fairly central
> between America and Europe, and almost all of us will speak the local
> language.
>
> Carnë, Colin, can you really do it?

I can at least.  I offered Oxford before I even knew Colin.  I guess
that having it near the Mathematics department may make more sense than
Biochemistry though.

On 28 January 2015 at 17:04, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> The cost issue actually also leads me to (slightly) prefer
> Germany over UK, [...]

In the case of travelling costs, the difference between London or somewhere
else should not be an issue, even for those flying from overseas.  The main
issue may be the actual bedrooms and Oxford is quite expensive for that.

It is probably possible to have group discount for conferences (maybe in a
college) but the price without discount will start around 70£ per night
(that's around 95 EUR and 105 USD).  Germany will be much cheaper (I paid
that much per week when I lived in Jena but maybe Jena is not the best
sample).

This is something to consider as the cost of travelling will limit the
number of people we can fund to go to OctConf.  What is the estimated cost
for renting a room in the proposed German cities?

Carnë

Re: OctConf 2015 survey results

Carnë Draug
On 28 January 2015 at 16:44, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There have been only 14 people so far who have responded about where
> would they like OctConf 2015 to happen, but I'm going to close it now:
> it's a near perfect tie between UK, Germany, and Austria, with 5, 4,
> and 5 votes respectively.

So what is the final resolution about this?

Carnë

Re: OctConf 2015 survey results

Darcy23
Thanks for sharing these results dear. i am a student of accounting and landed on your forum while I was searching for information on Dr. Aloke Ghosh. I have some of his journals and I am very impressed with him.