OctConf 2015

Is anyone planning to arrive in Darmstadt the weekend prior to the
meeting?  It looks like I'll be arriving mid-day Saturday.

Re: OctConf 2015

Doug Stewart-4

On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 3:05 PM, John W. Eaton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is anyone planning to arrive in Darmstadt the weekend prior to the meeting?  It looks like I'll be arriving mid-day Saturday.

jwe

I get there early (8:00 AM) sunday morning then i hope to sleep :-)

DASCertificate for 206392

Re: OctConf 2015

Sebastian Schöps
I will be around for sure :) However, here are some recommendations what to do in Darmstadt.

Proposal for Saturday: Walk through the park "Schlossgarten" and visit the palace. The palace is next to the city center (most shops should have open at least until 8pm on Saturday). Then go to our multidisciplinary "Landesmuseum" (entrancy fee 6 Euro). It is a beautiful building with a huge collection and exhibitions from ancient Egypt to very modern art.

1. Herrngarten
Address: Schlossgartenstrasse, 64289 Darmstadt
Website: http://www.darmstadt.de/darmstadt-erleben/sehenswuerdigkeiten/parks-und-gaerten/herrngarten/

2. Schloss (with another museum)
Address: Marktplatz 15, 64283 Darmstadt, Deutschland
Website: http://www.schlossmuseum-darmstadt.de/museum_engl.html

3. City center and tourist information
Address: Luisenplatz 5, 64283 Darmstadt
Website: http://www.darmstadt-tourismus.de/en/shop/the-darmstadt-shop/

4. Landesmuseum
Address: Friedensplatz 1, 64283 Darmstadt
Website: http://www.hlmd.de/
Wikipedia:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hessisches_Landesmuseum_Darmstadt

Proposal for Sunday: Do a long walk from the Hotel to "Mathildenhöhe", visit the Museum "Künstlerkolonie" (5 Euro entrance fee), pass the "Rosenhöhe" and finally go to the farm "Oberfeld" (where you can have coffee, cake, cookies and some small things to eat):

1. "Mathildenhöhe" and museum "Künstlerkolonie"
Address: Olbrichweg 13a, 64287 Darmstadt
Website: http://www.mathildenhoehe.eu

2. Public rose garden "Rosenhöhe"
Ludwig-Engel-Weg 42, 64287 Darmstadt

3. oganic farm "Hofgut Oberfeld"
Address: Erbacher Str. 125, 64287 Darmstadt
Website: http://www.landwirtschaft-oberfeld.de

Additional sights:
1. former fire water lake "Woog" (where you can go for a swim, i.e., bring your swim suits...)
Address: Landgraf-Georg-Straße 119, 64287 Darmstadt

2. residential building complex "Waldspirale" designed by the Austrian artist Hundertwasser
Address: Bad Nauheimer Straße 21, 64289 Darmstadt
Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldspirale

Where to eat (a few suggestions, alphabetical order):
1. Biergarten, Dieburger Str. 97, 64287 Darmstadt (large beer garden, some food, mainly beer:)
2. Grohe, Nieder-Ramstädter Str. 3, 64283 Darmstadt (typical German food and beer)
3. Habibi, Landwehrstrasse 13, 64293 Darmstadt (vegetarian and vegan food, middle east style)
4. Petri, Arheilger Strasse 50, 64289 Darmstadt (typical German food, also some vegetarian dishes)
5. Ratskeller, Marktplatz 8, 64283 Darmstadt (typical German food and beer)
6. Vapiano, Rheinstrasse 103, 64295 Darmstadt (Italian food, self-service)

I collected all locations in one (Google) map:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zDkvInHBd-hU.k0aQNn3Cx8Zs&usp=sharing

Re: OctConf 2015

Lukas Reichlin-4

> On 04.08.2015, at 21:05, John W. Eaton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is anyone planning to arrive in Darmstadt the weekend prior to the meeting?  It looks like I'll be arriving mid-day Saturday.
>
> jwe

I will arrive on Sunday afternoon by train.

Lukas

Re: OctConf 2015

Sebastian Schöps
The rather well-known German publisher Heise made today an announcement of Octconf 2015 in its news ticker; see here: http://heise.de/-2796354.