OctConf 2020 - virtual code sprint day?

nrjank
The email a month or so ago about the US/midwest hackathon had me realize there was no OctConf chatter in 2020, and then remembered 2019 didn't happen.

Given the international state of affairs, is something like a 2020 virtual meeting/code sprint of interest? Didn't know if any backchannel conversations have been happening.

nickj

Re: OctConf 2020 - virtual code sprint day?

siko1056
On 3/11/20 12:59 PM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> The email a month or so ago about the US/midwest hackathon had me
> realize there was no OctConf chatter in 2020, and then remembered 2019
> didn't happen.
>
> Given the international state of affairs, is something like a 2020
> virtual meeting/code sprint of interest? Didn't know if any backchannel
> conversations have been happening.
>
> nickj

Nice idea.  It is really a pity that no OctConf did happen for two years
now.  I would be interest in such kind of meeting.  You have some nice
tool in mind to gather virtually?

Kai

Re: OctConf 2020 - virtual code sprint day?

nrjank
Nice idea.  It is really a pity that no OctConf did happen for two years
now.  I would be interest in such kind of meeting.  You have some nice
tool in mind to gather virtually?

Not really. Something we're going through at work now with upcoming meetings. We have a hardwired VTC system with an IP bridge that works well for people with that setup, but are starting to look at web based options for external universities, small businesses, etc.  Wouldn't mind hearing what others may be using and how they scale.

Could kick that over to help list if it's worth general discussion.

Re: OctConf 2020 - virtual code sprint day?

Colin Macdonald-2
On 2020-03-11 6:18 a.m., Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
>     Nice idea.  It is really a pity that no OctConf did happen for two years
>     now.  I would be interest in such kind of meeting.  You have some nice
>     tool in mind to gather virtually?
>
> Not really. Something we're going through at work now with upcoming
> meetings. We have a hardwired VTC system with an IP bridge that works
> well for people with that setup, but are starting to look at web based
> options for external universities, small businesses, etc.  Wouldn't mind
> hearing what others may be using and how they scale.

I noticed that LibrePlanet is going online-only this year on very short
notice.  They will certainly (try to?) use only Free Software, maybe we
can learn something from that...

Colin

Re: OctConf 2020 - virtual code sprint day?

nrjank
I noticed that LibrePlanet is going online-only this year on very short
notice.  They will certainly (try to?) use only Free Software, maybe we
can learn something from that...

here's the solution FSF came up with. The main conferencing tool was jitsi, which the organizers used with presenters. They then recorded that and created a stream of it.

I don't know anything about jitsi but at a quick glance it promises to be a full Sip and web-based video conferencing tool, supposedly with no accounts required which would be surprising.