[OctDev] ginput

Paul Kienzle-3
Hi,

I'm trying to get Petr Mikulik's ginput to work instead of the
X11-based ginput hack on octave-forge.

See section "Links" => "Programming interfaces - bidirectional
interaction":

     http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/links.html

Petr's function is cleaner than the current gget+ginput+grab.cc code,
and it should work on any terminal with mouse support rather than just
X11. The current gget is the source of too many support requests.

Unix:

> I'm assuming it works on X11 for Linux since that is where it was
> developed, and for unix+x11 systems.  I haven't tested it.

Cygwin:

> I doubt it will work on cygwin since as of last year mkfifo was not
> supported.  Can a cygwin user please try it?
>
> Assuming it does not work, maybe the gget code could be modified to
> use the new input mouse command.
>
> Does it only work on X11?  Or does it also work with the Windows
> native terminal?

OS X:

> The aqua term does not support mouse.  Any idea how much work it would
> be to add it?
>
> I was unable to get mouse working on X11 using the 4.0.0 build at
> sourceforge.  It works directly from gnuplot, but __gnuplot_raw__("set
> mouse\r") doesn't work from Octave.
>
> Anyone have better luck with their systems?

Thanks,

- Paul

[OctDev] Re: ginput

Petr Mikulik
> I'm trying to get Petr Mikulik's ginput to work instead of the X11-based
> ginput hack on octave-forge.
>
> Petr's function is cleaner than the current gget+ginput+grab.cc code, and it
> should work on any terminal with mouse support rather than just X11. The
> current gget is the source of too many support requests.

It would be nice to replace those routines written in C by this .m solution
using the mousing gnuplot features directly.

>> I doubt it will work on cygwin since as of last year mkfifo was not
>> supported.  Can a cygwin user please try it?

I remember OS/2 had an equivalent of opening a file with a name like
"//pipe/blabla"; I guess Windows could have a similar possibility?

>> The aqua term does not support mouse.  Any idea how much work it would be
>> to add it?
>>
>> Anyone have better luck with their systems?

Why X11 terminal does not work with mousing?

I guess the native Mac terminal is AquaTerm
   http://aquaterm.sourceforge.net/
   http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/aquaterm/adapters/gnuplot/

have a look there if it is mousing, and if not, please contact the author
and express your wish.

---
PM

Re: [OctDev] ginput

Per Persson

On Oct 11, 2005, at 02:05, Paul Kienzle wrote:

> OS X:
>

>> The aqua term does not support mouse.  Any idea how much work it
>> would be to add it?

Not a lot, the foundation is there, i.e. passing events from AquaTerm
to the aquaterm.trm driver.
See demos and PGPLOT driver in AquaTerm developer extras for some
examples how to use events.

I dabbled with adding mouse support to gnuplot/aqua some years ago,
but never quite got the hang of how it was supposed to work.
Nowadays, I'm just too short of time to be of any real use...

In case anyone goes about adding mousing to aquaterm.trm, keep me
posted and I'll try to help (at least I can commit the patches;-).

Regards,
Per