[OctDev] new help translation

Jorge Barros de Abreu
Hi for all.

Please correct me if the english is not good or if there is another mistake.

How to begin a new language translation in octave

1-create a directory named, say, cvs_octave. Get octave-lang using the script:

#!/bin/bash
export CVS_RSH=ssh
cvs -d :pserver:[hidden email]:/cvsroot/octave login
cvs -d :pserver:[hidden email]:/cvsroot/octave get octave-lang
cvs -d :pserver:[hidden email]:/cvsroot/octave logout
unset CVS_RSH

2-in the same directory get octave from cvs using the script:

#!/bin/bash
export CVS_RSH=ssh
cvs -d :ext:[hidden email]:/cvs checkout octave
unset CVS_RSH

At this point we have two directories:

octave
ioctave-lang

2- compile octave using(without make install):

cd octave
./configure
make

if make install was used your previous instalation of the stable version
will be updated/changed ( i do not recommend it)

3 -still in main local octave directory type the commands:

ls -l src/DOCSTRINGS
ls -l scripts/DOCSTRINGS

the two commands return is informations about the the two
archives that is the translation basis. If these two files was been
generated in copilation then is all good for translation:

If the translation directory is /home/user/octave/translation then:

mv src/DOCSTRINGS /home/user/octave/translation/DOCSTRINGS_SRC
mv scripts/DOCSTRINGS /home/user/octave/translation/DOCSTRINGS_SCRIPTS

4- copy the file "octave-lang/admin/split_docstrings" to
"/home/user/octave/translation/split_docstrings"

5- type "split_docstrings DOCSTRINGS_SRC" and
"split_docstrings DOCSTRINGS_SCRIPTS"

6- if is the translation begin move all created files to
"octave-lang/base/octave/help"

7- translated file model is on the "octave-lang/pt/octave/help" and the new
file
translated for language xx must be in "octave-lang/xx/octave/help" and
uploaded for
cvs.sf.net.

8- the translation maintenance is another chapter that is not write yet.

May the force be with you because you will be need it.

--
Data Estelar 2453673.001215
http://www.solar.com.br/~ficmatin

Re: [OctDev] new help translation

Paul Kienzle-3
Jorge,

I have written up a more complete set of instructions in
octave-lang/admin/translation.html.  Please correct any errors in it.

I put a copy at octave.sf.net/translation.html

- Paul

On Oct 29, 2005, at 6:53 AM, Jorge Barros de Abreu wrote:

> Hi for all.
>
> Please correct me if the english is not good or if there is another
> mistake.
>
> How to begin a new language translation in octave

Re: [OctDev] cvs-octave-lang update

Jorge Barros de Abreu
Hi for all.

Do i can update all octave-lang/base/octave/help?
Or only when 2.9.4 was released?

I have a new version file but this file is not released on octave-lang and do
not have cvs-version.

I thing that is no problem as information for update translation cames from
md5sum and not from cvs-version

Thanks

--
Data Estelar 2453676.325312
http://www.solar.com.br/~ficmatin
Desejo-lhe Paz, Vida Longa e Prosperidade.
São Bem Vindas Mensagens no Formato Texto Genérico com Acentos.

Re: [OctDev] cvs-octave-lang update

Paul Kienzle-3
Jorge,

I don't see any problem with adding new files to base/octave for 2.9.4.

I'm not sure about updating existing files with the 2.9.4 version since
there may be some value in keeping a consistent set of docs as the
basis for translation.

You are correct that the determination of whether the translated doc
accurately reflects the doc in octave is based on the md5sum of the doc
in octave matching the md5sum stored with the translation.  So even
though it will display the translation of the wrong document, it will
warn the user that the translation is out of date and display the
original.  Given that, updating existing files should be okay too.

- Paul

On Nov 1, 2005, at 4:48 PM, Jorge Barros de Abreu wrote:

> Hi for all.
>
> Do i can update all octave-lang/base/octave/help?
> Or only when 2.9.4 was released?
>
> I have a new version file but this file is not released on octave-lang
> and do
> not have cvs-version.
>
> I thing that is no problem as information for update translation cames
> from
> md5sum and not from cvs-version
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Data Estelar 2453676.325312
> http://www.solar.com.br/~ficmatin
> Desejo-lhe Paz, Vida Longa e Prosperidade.
> São Bem Vindas Mensagens no Formato Texto Genérico com Acentos.

Re: [OctDev] cvs-octave-lang update

Jorge Barros de Abreu
You are welcome Paul.

[]´s

--
Data Estelar 2453676.964653
http://www.solar.com.br/~ficmatin
Desejo-lhe Paz, Vida Longa e Prosperidade.
São Bem Vindas Mensagens no Formato Texto Genérico com Acentos.

[OctDev] updating octave-lang/base/octave/help

Jorge Barros de Abreu
Hi Paul and all

The DOCSTRINGS generated by this process:

(cd src && make omit_deps=1 DOCSTRINGS)

is different of DOCSTRINGS generated by:

 (cd src && make DOCSTRINGS)

--
Data Estelar 2453676.325312
http://www.solar.com.br/~ficmatin
Desejo-lhe Paz, Vida Longa e Prosperidade.
São Bem Vindas Mensagens no Formato Texto Genérico com Acentos.

Re: [OctDev] cvs-octave-lang update

Paul Kienzle-3
Jorge,

I'm not sure what you did with your big CVS post.  I now get the
following errors when updating:

  Avocado:~/cvs/octave-lang/base/octave/help paulkienzle$ cvs -q update
-dP
  cvs update: move away ./errno; it is in the way
  C errno
  cvs update: move away ./i; it is in the way
  C i
  cvs update: move away ./inf; it is in the way
  C inf
  cvs update: move away ./j; it is in the way
  C j
  cvs update: move away ./nan; it is in the way
  C nan

All these files are mixed case and I'm running OS X.

Anyone have any suggestions?

        - Paul

On Nov 2, 2005, at 3:39 AM, Jorge Barros de Abreu wrote:

> You are welcome Paul.
>
> []´s
>
> Em Wednesday 02 November 2005 03:49, Paul Kienzle escreveu:
>> Jorge,
>>
>> I don't see any problem with adding new files to base/octave for
>> 2.9.4.
>>  Given that, updating existing files should be okay too.
>>
>> - Paul
>>
> --
> Data Estelar 2453676.964653
> http://www.solar.com.br/~ficmatin
> Desejo-lhe Paz, Vida Longa e Prosperidade.
> São Bem Vindas Mensagens no Formato Texto Genérico com Acentos.

Re: [OctDev] cvs-octave-lang update

Jorge Barros de Abreu
Hi Paul.

remove all file and put new file.

Em Wednesday 02 November 2005 12:20, Paul Kienzle escreveu:

> Jorge,
>
> I'm not sure what you did with your big CVS post.  I now get the
> following errors when updating:
>
>   Avocado:~/cvs/octave-lang/base/octave/help paulkienzle$ cvs -q update
> -dP
>   cvs update: move away ./errno; it is in the way
>   C errno
>   cvs update: move away ./i; it is in the way
>   C i
>   cvs update: move away ./inf; it is in the way
>   C inf
>   cvs update: move away ./j; it is in the way
>   C j
>   cvs update: move away ./nan; it is in the way
>   C nan
>

> All these files are mixed case and I'm running OS X.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> - Paul
>
> On Nov 2, 2005, at 3:39 AM, Jorge Barros de Abreu wrote:
> > You are welcome Paul.
> >
> > []´s
> >
> > Em Wednesday 02 November 2005 03:49, Paul Kienzle escreveu:
> >> Jorge,
> >>
> >> I don't see any problem with adding new files to base/octave for
> >> 2.9.4.

> >>  Given that, updating existing files should be okay too.
> >>
> >> - Paul
> >
> > --
> > Data Estelar 2453676.964653
> > http://www.solar.com.br/~ficmatin
> > Desejo-lhe Paz, Vida Longa e Prosperidade.
> > São Bem Vindas Mensagens no Formato Texto Genérico com Acentos.

Data Estelar 2453677.118056
http://www.solar.com.br/~ficmatin
Desejo-lhe Paz, Vida Longa e Prosperidade.
São Bem Vindas Mensagens no Formato Texto Genérico com Acentos.

Re: [OctDev] cvs-octave-lang update

Jorge Barros de Abreu
Hi Paul.

Remove all files and put new.

????You or i update octave-lang/base/octave/help????

Thanks

Em Wednesday 02 November 2005 12:20, Paul Kienzle escreveu:

> Jorge,
>
> I'm not sure what you did with your big CVS post.  I now get the
> following errors when updating:
>
>   Avocado:~/cvs/octave-lang/base/octave/help paulkienzle$ cvs -q update
> -dP
>   cvs update: move away ./errno; it is in the way
>   C errno
>   cvs update: move away ./i; it is in the way
>   C i
>   cvs update: move away ./inf; it is in the way
>   C inf
>   cvs update: move away ./j; it is in the way
>   C j
>   cvs update: move away ./nan; it is in the way
>   C nan
>

> All these files are mixed case and I'm running OS X.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> - Paul
>
> On Nov 2, 2005, at 3:39 AM, Jorge Barros de Abreu wrote:
> > You are welcome Paul.
> >
> > []´s
> >
> > Em Wednesday 02 November 2005 03:49, Paul Kienzle escreveu:
> >> Jorge,
> >>
> >> I don't see any problem with adding new files to base/octave for
> >> 2.9.4.

> >>  Given that, updating existing files should be okay too.
> >>
> >> - Paul
> >
> > --
> > Data Estelar 2453676.964653
> > http://www.solar.com.br/~ficmatin
> > Desejo-lhe Paz, Vida Longa e Prosperidade.
> > São Bem Vindas Mensagens no Formato Texto Genérico com Acentos.

Data Estelar 2453677.118056
http://www.solar.com.br/~ficmatin
Desejo-lhe Paz, Vida Longa e Prosperidade.
São Bem Vindas Mensagens no Formato Texto Genérico com Acentos.

Re: [OctDev] cvs-octave-lang update

Jorge Barros de Abreu
Paul

This errors will occurs until we "correct the hands" (complete the project
scripts).

Will survive.

[]´s

--
Data Estelar 2453677.250648
http://www.solar.com.br/~ficmatin
Desejo-lhe Paz, Vida Longa e Prosperidade.
São Bem Vindas Mensagens no Formato Texto Genérico com Acentos.

Re: [OctDev] cvs-octave-lang update

Paul Kienzle-3
You don't need to remove the old files before putting in the new ones.

- Paul

On Nov 2, 2005, at 9:00 AM, Jorge Barros de Abreu wrote:
> ????You or i update octave-lang/base/octave/help????

Probably you or one of the other translators.

I did so for 2.9.3 so that I could write the documentation in
octave-lang/admin/translation.html.

Please read it.  Let me know what parts you do not understand.

Thanks,

        - Paul

Re: [OctDev] updating octave-lang/base/octave/help

Paul Kienzle-3
Are you sure?  I rebuilt DOCSTRINGS without using omit_deps and I get
the same result:

   Avocado:~/Downloads/octave-2.9.3/src paulkienzle$ diff -cp DOCSTRINGS
DOCSTRINGS-nodep
   Avocado:~/Downloads/octave-2.9.3/src paulkienzle$

Can you please tell me how they differs?

- Paul

On Nov 2, 2005, at 6:00 AM, Jorge Barros de Abreu wrote:

> Hi Paul and all
>
> The DOCSTRINGS generated by this process:
>
> (cd src && make omit_deps=1 DOCSTRINGS)
>
> is different of DOCSTRINGS generated by:
>
>  (cd src && make DOCSTRINGS)
>
> --
> Data Estelar 2453676.325312
> http://www.solar.com.br/~ficmatin
> Desejo-lhe Paz, Vida Longa e Prosperidade.
> São Bem Vindas Mensagens no Formato Texto Genérico com Acentos.

Re: [OctDev] cvs-octave-lang update

Jorge Barros de Abreu
Is suitable that only one update it.
If there is no problem i will like to make this update permanent to avoid
conflicts. I will need some time ( 15 days) for adjust my personal scripts
for this work.

Thanks

--
Data Estelar 2453677.856123
http://www.solar.com.br/~ficmatin
Desejo-lhe Paz, Vida Longa e Prosperidade.
São Bem Vindas Mensagens no Formato Texto Genérico com Acentos.

Re: [OctDev] updating octave-lang/base/octave/help

Jorge Barros de Abreu
I remake the src/DOCSTRINGS and put the results in:

http://usr.solar.com.br/~ficmatin/DOCSTRINGS_SRC
http://usr.solar.com.br/~ficmatin/DOCSTRINGS_SRC_BAD

--
Data Estelar 2453677.885567
http://www.solar.com.br/~ficmatin
Desejo-lhe Paz, Vida Longa e Prosperidade.
São Bem Vindas Mensagens no Formato Texto Genérico com Acentos.

Re: [OctDev] cvs-octave-lang update

Paul Kienzle-3
It should not matter who updates it, but I'm happy to leave you to it.

In what way is this update not permanent?  Is it a branch?

Please, if you have scripts to help out with the admin or translation
process, add them to octave-lang/admin so that other languages can
benefit.

- Paul

Em Thursday 03 November 2005 12:15, Paul Kienzle escreveu:
> It should not matter who updates it, but I'm happy to leave you to it.

ok. This avoid upload conflicts.

> In what way is this update not permanent?  Is it a branch?

excuse me. My english needs update :-)).
The "permanent" is not for the files
The permanent is for "updater" ( for me in the "updater" work)
I want to say that i assume the "updater" work at he for permanent (while
suitable for project)

> Please, if you have scripts to help out with the admin or translation
> process, add them to octave-lang/admin so that other languages can
> benefit.

ok. is good for me see the work to be used (freely) around the world and
turning the world better.

--
Data Estelar 2453678.817813
http://www.solar.com.br/~ficmatin
Desejo-lhe Paz, Vida Longa e Prosperidade.
São Bem Vindas Mensagens no Formato Texto Genérico com Acentos.

Re: [OctDev] cvs-octave-lang update

Jorge Barros de Abreu

I want to say that i assume the "updater" work at "the permanent form" (while

suitable for project)

(type error)

--

Data Estelar 2453678.817813

http://www.solar.com.br/~ficmatin

Desejo-lhe Paz, Vida Longa e Prosperidade.

São Bem Vindas Mensagens no Formato Texto Genérico com Acentos.

Re: [OctDev] updating octave-lang/base/octave/help

Paul Kienzle-3
This might be because you are remaking from CVS rather than from a
release package.  John prebuilds some files before creating a release
so that users don't need all the tools that he uses.

- Paul