Octave 1.1.1-2 with Slackware 3.2

Barry Wealand

Hi -

Please pardon me if this is a commonly asked question.  I just subscribed
to this mailing list yesterday.

I'm trying to install the binary distribution for octave v. 1.1.1-2 on
my Linux machine, which is running Slackware 3.2 (kernel v. 2.0.29).  This
binary distribution came with the Slackware CD-ROMs.  I unpack the files,
but 'sh ./doinstall.sh' is unsuccessful because octave dumps core after
it starts up and prints its sign-on message.

I get the impression that "incompatible library versions" is a common
problem.  I believe that the libraries I'm using should all be new enough.

I also tried downloading the latest source distribution (v. 2.0.9) and
building that.  This worked fine right up to the final link, at which
point my mere 16 megabytes of memory was unequal to the task:  I got a
'Memory exhausted' message from ld.

Does anybody have any suggestions?  I'm not particular about which version
of octave to install, I just need something that works.

Thanks in advance -

Barry Wealand
[hidden email]
(408) 742-9532

Octave 1.1.1-2 with Slackware 3.2

John W. Eaton-6
On 27-Jan-1998, Barry Wealand <[hidden email]> wrote:

| I'm trying to install the binary distribution for octave v. 1.1.1-2

That's really ancient.  No one should be using that now.

| I also tried downloading the latest source distribution (v. 2.0.9) and
| building that.  This worked fine right up to the final link, at which
| point my mere 16 megabytes of memory was unequal to the task:  I got a
| 'Memory exhausted' message from ld.
|
| Does anybody have any suggestions?  I'm not particular about which version
| of octave to install, I just need something that works.

Try the newer binary release for Linux on Intel systems available from
ftp.che.wisc.edu in the directory /pub/octave/BINARIES.  It's
statically linked, so you shouldn't have problems with incompatible
library versions.

jwe