Octave-3.3.55 and Octave-3.3.90 on OSX

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
72 messages Options
1234
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cs-list error with MacOS [was: Octave-3.3.55 and Octave-3.3.90 on OSX]

bpabbott
Administrator
On Feb 6, 2011, at 11:23 AM, Richard Campbell wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2011, at 11:02 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>
>> On Jan 30, 2011, at 12:31 PM, Richard Campbell wrote:
>>
>>> On Jan 30, 2011, at 12:28 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>>>
>>>> On Jan 30, 2011, at 12:17 PM, Richard Campbell wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> On Jan 30, 2011, at 12:02 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> On 30-Jan-2011, Richard Campbell wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> | The front page should be updated to indicate that Octave-3.3.54 is not the newest developer snapshot. Having just found out about 3.3.55 and 3.3.90, I attempted to build both of them.
>>>>>> |
>>>>>> | Octave 3.3.55 builds fine, but fails 'make check':
>>>>>> |
>>>>>> | Making check in test
>>>>>> | ./build_sparse_tests.sh
>>>>>> | ./build_bc_overload_tests.sh ./bc_overloads_expected
>>>>>> | ../run-octave --norc --silent --no-history ./fntests.m .
>>>>>> |
>>>>>> | Integrated test scripts:
>>>>>> |
>>>>>> | make[2]: *** [check] Abort trap
>>>>>> | make[1]: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
>>>>>> | make: *** [check] Error 2
>>>>>> |
>>>>>> | When I run it, I get the same cs-list error when trying to print that I've been getting in 3.3.54.
>>>>>> |
>>>>>> | Octave 3.3.90  fails to build:
>>>>>> |
>>>>>> | libtool: compile:  g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -m32 -D_REENTRANT -I../libgnu -I../libgnu -I../libcruft/misc -I../liboctave -I../liboctave -I. -I. -m32 -D_REENTRANT -g -O2 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I/usr/X11/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11/include -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wold-style-cast -Wformat -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Wcast-align -Wcast-qual -g -O2 -D_THREAD_SAFE -pthread -g -O2 -MT liboctinterp_la-txt-eng-ft.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/liboctinterp_la-txt-eng-ft.Tpo -c txt-eng-ft.cc  -fno-common -DPIC -o .libs/liboctinterp_la-txt-eng-ft.o
>>>>>> | txt-eng-ft.cc: In constructor ‘ft_manager::ft_manager()’:
>>>>>> | txt-eng-ft.cc:78: error: class ‘ft_manager’ does not have any field named ‘fc_init_done’
>>>>>> | txt-eng-ft.cc: At global scope:
>>>>>> | txt-eng-ft.cc:107: warning: unused parameter ‘name’
>>>>>> | txt-eng-ft.cc:107: warning: unused parameter ‘weight’
>>>>>> | txt-eng-ft.cc:107: warning: unused parameter ‘angle’
>>>>>> | txt-eng-ft.cc:107: warning: unused parameter ‘size’
>>>>>> | make[3]: *** [liboctinterp_la-txt-eng-ft.lo] Error 1
>>>>>> | make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
>>>>>> | make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>>>>>> | make: *** [all] Error 2
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I checked in the following changeset.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/cb4ac5e4d987
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Does this change fix the problem for you?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> jwe
>>>>>
>>>>> Yes, that fix allows me to build Octave 3.3.90, but it doesn't fix the cs-list error, pasted below.
>>>>>
>>>>> octave:1> plot(randn(10,1))
>>>>> octave:2> print('-dpng','test.png')
>>>>> warning: print.m: fig2dev binary is not available
>>>>> error: invalid assignment to cs-list outside multiple assignment
>>>>> error: matrix cannot be indexed with {
>>>>> error: evaluating argument list element number 3
>>>>> error: called from:
>>>>> error:   /Users/campbell/Downloads/octave-3.3.90/scripts/plot/print.m at line 390, column 11
>>>>>
>>>>> Make check also reports a cs-list error but does not crash like it does in 3.3.55.
>>>>
>>>> Please also give us the details for the cs-list error which occurs when you run "make check".
>>>>
>>>> Ben
>>>>
>>>
>>> Making check in test
>>> ../run-octave --norc --silent --no-history ./fntests.m .
>>>
>>> Integrated test scripts:
>>>
>>> invalid assignment to cs-list outside multiple assignment
>>
>> Richard,
>>
>> I've built a 32bit Octave using the manual instructions in README.MacOS
>>
>> Please confirm the following gives you the cs-list error.
>>
>> info = struct (zeros (0, 1), {"name"});
>> info(1,1).name = "foobar";
>>
>> Ben
>
> Ben,
>
> The error seems to be fixed in 3.3.92, when building as 32-bit. Note that it has appeared to be fixed in 64-bit (with blaswrap, without -ff2c) since 3.3.55 or so.
>
> I do get many lines of
>
> warning: ft_render: unable to load appropriate font
>
> when plotting, in both 32- and 64-bit. This didn't happen in <= 3.3.91.
>
> Campbell

I'm seeing the cs-list error in a 32bit build of 3.3.92.

Regarding the ft_render warning, please construct a simple example, and start a new thread.

I suspect that some recent changes by Konstas <[hidden email]> are related, so please cc him as well.

Ben



Ben


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cs-list error with MacOS [was: Octave-3.3.55 and Octave-3.3.90 on OSX]

Richard Campbell

On Feb 6, 2011, at 11:33 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2011, at 11:23 AM, Richard Campbell wrote:
>
>> On Feb 6, 2011, at 11:02 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>>
>>> On Jan 30, 2011, at 12:31 PM, Richard Campbell wrote:
>>>
>>>> On Jan 30, 2011, at 12:28 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> On Jan 30, 2011, at 12:17 PM, Richard Campbell wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> On Jan 30, 2011, at 12:02 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On 30-Jan-2011, Richard Campbell wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> | The front page should be updated to indicate that Octave-3.3.54 is not the newest developer snapshot. Having just found out about 3.3.55 and 3.3.90, I attempted to build both of them.
>>>>>>> |
>>>>>>> | Octave 3.3.55 builds fine, but fails 'make check':
>>>>>>> |
>>>>>>> | Making check in test
>>>>>>> | ./build_sparse_tests.sh
>>>>>>> | ./build_bc_overload_tests.sh ./bc_overloads_expected
>>>>>>> | ../run-octave --norc --silent --no-history ./fntests.m .
>>>>>>> |
>>>>>>> | Integrated test scripts:
>>>>>>> |
>>>>>>> | make[2]: *** [check] Abort trap
>>>>>>> | make[1]: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
>>>>>>> | make: *** [check] Error 2
>>>>>>> |
>>>>>>> | When I run it, I get the same cs-list error when trying to print that I've been getting in 3.3.54.
>>>>>>> |
>>>>>>> | Octave 3.3.90  fails to build:
>>>>>>> |
>>>>>>> | libtool: compile:  g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -m32 -D_REENTRANT -I../libgnu -I../libgnu -I../libcruft/misc -I../liboctave -I../liboctave -I. -I. -m32 -D_REENTRANT -g -O2 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I/usr/X11/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11/include -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wold-style-cast -Wformat -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Wcast-align -Wcast-qual -g -O2 -D_THREAD_SAFE -pthread -g -O2 -MT liboctinterp_la-txt-eng-ft.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/liboctinterp_la-txt-eng-ft.Tpo -c txt-eng-ft.cc  -fno-common -DPIC -o .libs/liboctinterp_la-txt-eng-ft.o
>>>>>>> | txt-eng-ft.cc: In constructor ‘ft_manager::ft_manager()’:
>>>>>>> | txt-eng-ft.cc:78: error: class ‘ft_manager’ does not have any field named ‘fc_init_done’
>>>>>>> | txt-eng-ft.cc: At global scope:
>>>>>>> | txt-eng-ft.cc:107: warning: unused parameter ‘name’
>>>>>>> | txt-eng-ft.cc:107: warning: unused parameter ‘weight’
>>>>>>> | txt-eng-ft.cc:107: warning: unused parameter ‘angle’
>>>>>>> | txt-eng-ft.cc:107: warning: unused parameter ‘size’
>>>>>>> | make[3]: *** [liboctinterp_la-txt-eng-ft.lo] Error 1
>>>>>>> | make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
>>>>>>> | make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>>>>>>> | make: *** [all] Error 2
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I checked in the following changeset.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/cb4ac5e4d987
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Does this change fix the problem for you?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> jwe
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Yes, that fix allows me to build Octave 3.3.90, but it doesn't fix the cs-list error, pasted below.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> octave:1> plot(randn(10,1))
>>>>>> octave:2> print('-dpng','test.png')
>>>>>> warning: print.m: fig2dev binary is not available
>>>>>> error: invalid assignment to cs-list outside multiple assignment
>>>>>> error: matrix cannot be indexed with {
>>>>>> error: evaluating argument list element number 3
>>>>>> error: called from:
>>>>>> error:   /Users/campbell/Downloads/octave-3.3.90/scripts/plot/print.m at line 390, column 11
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Make check also reports a cs-list error but does not crash like it does in 3.3.55.
>>>>>
>>>>> Please also give us the details for the cs-list error which occurs when you run "make check".
>>>>>
>>>>> Ben
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Making check in test
>>>> ../run-octave --norc --silent --no-history ./fntests.m .
>>>>
>>>> Integrated test scripts:
>>>>
>>>> invalid assignment to cs-list outside multiple assignment
>>>
>>> Richard,
>>>
>>> I've built a 32bit Octave using the manual instructions in README.MacOS
>>>
>>> Please confirm the following gives you the cs-list error.
>>>
>>> info = struct (zeros (0, 1), {"name"});
>>> info(1,1).name = "foobar";
>>>
>>> Ben
>>
>> Ben,
>>
>> The error seems to be fixed in 3.3.92, when building as 32-bit. Note that it has appeared to be fixed in 64-bit (with blaswrap, without -ff2c) since 3.3.55 or so.
>>
>> I do get many lines of
>>
>> warning: ft_render: unable to load appropriate font
>>
>> when plotting, in both 32- and 64-bit. This didn't happen in <= 3.3.91.
>>
>> Campbell
>
> I'm seeing the cs-list error in a 32bit build of 3.3.92.
>
> Regarding the ft_render warning, please construct a simple example, and start a new thread.
>
> I suspect that some recent changes by Konstas <[hidden email]> are related, so please cc him as well.
>
> Ben
>
>
>
> Ben
>
>

Let me try again, on my laptop. I'm running out of machines, though.

Campbell

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cs-list error with MacOS [was: Octave-3.3.55 and Octave-3.3.90 on OSX]

Pantxo
In reply to this post by bpabbott
Hi,

I've built Octave 3.4 on OS X 10.5.8 following README.MacOS instructions and adding --disable-docs option to the ./configure. Most of the dependencies are installed using fink. I obtain the cs-list error while trying to print a plot at run time. I didn't find any fix to this (mac specific?) problem  on octave mailing-list. Is there one?

Please excuse me if I don't post at the right place (I usually find answers on the web without having to show my ignorance to the world).

Pantxo
 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cs-list error with MacOS [was: Octave-3.3.55 and Octave-3.3.90 on OSX]

bpabbott
Administrator
On Mar 5, 2011, at 8:48 AM, Pantxo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've built Octave 3.4 on OS X 10.5.8 following README.MacOS instructions and
> adding --disable-docs option to the ./configure. Most of the dependencies
> are installed using fink. I obtain the cs-list error while trying to print a
> plot at run time. I didn't find any fix to this (mac specific?) problem  on
> octave mailing-list. Is there one?
>
> Please excuse me if I don't post at the right place (I usually find answers
> on the web without having to show my ignorance to the world).
>
> Pantxo

This may be a build problem or a bug. Please provide a simple example and the error you get.

Ben

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cs-list error with MacOS [was: Octave-3.3.55 and Octave-3.3.90 on OSX]

Pantxo
During configure phase I don't obtain any special warning about missing dependencies. I exported environnement variables following exactly the ones proposed README.MacOsX. The only change I made was adding --disable-docs in ./configure options.  

At build time the only warning is "‘__base_ctor ’ is deprecated (declared at ../liboctave/dim-vector.h:152)", and make check seems (I didn't watch very deep) to pass at every stage with a few warnings.
I didn't try make install as it is said not to be supported in README.MacOsX.

As an example:
./run-octave
octave:1> plot(1:10)
octave:2> print('-dpdf','lolo.pdf')
error: invalid assignment to cs-list outside multiple assignment
error: matrix cannot be indexed with {
error: evaluating argument list element number 3
error: called from:
error:   /Users/.../Desktop/octave-3.4.0/scripts/plot/print.m at line 390, column 11

The example that was given previously in this thread also fails :

octave:3> info = struct (zeros (0, 1), {"name"});
octave:4> info(1,1).name = "foobar";
error: invalid assignment to cs-list outside multiple assignment






Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cs-list error with MacOS [was: Octave-3.3.55 and Octave-3.3.90 on OSX]

bpabbott
Administrator
On Mar 5, 2011, at 11:42 AM, Pantxo wrote:

> During configure phase I don't obtain any special warning about missing
> dependencies. I exported environnement variables following exactly the ones
> proposed README.MacOsX. The only change I made was adding --disable-docs in
> ./configure options.  
>
> At build time the only warning is "‘__base_ctor ’ is deprecated (declared at
> ../liboctave/dim-vector.h:152)", and make check seems (I didn't watch very
> deep) to pass at every stage with a few warnings.
> I didn't try make install as it is said not to be supported in
> README.MacOsX.
>
> As an example:
> ./run-octave
> octave:1> plot(1:10)
> octave:2> print('-dpdf','lolo.pdf')
> error: invalid assignment to cs-list outside multiple assignment
> error: matrix cannot be indexed with {
> error: evaluating argument list element number 3
> error: called from:
> error:   /Users/.../Desktop/octave-3.4.0/scripts/plot/print.m at line 390,
> column 11
>
> The example that was given previously in this thread also fails :
>
> octave:3> info = struct (zeros (0, 1), {"name"});
> octave:4> info(1,1).name = "foobar";
> error: invalid assignment to cs-list outside multiple assignment

Ok. I see this is the same error I had gotten with 3.3.90.

Richard had indicated that this was fixed in 3.3.92.

Although, I haven't tried to build 3.4.0, so I can't confirm if this is a general problem or not.

Ben


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cs-list error with MacOS [was: Octave-3.3.55 and Octave-3.3.90 on OSX]

Pantxo
Thanks for the reply,
I will try to build 3.3.92 and see if it works for me.
Let me know if I can help making further tests.

Pantxo
 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cs-list error with MacOS [was: Octave-3.3.55 and Octave-3.3.90 on OSX]

Richard Campbell
Are you building 32 or 64 bit? It went away for me in 3.3.5x with 64 only

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 6, 2011, at 10:14, Pantxo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply,
> I will try to build 3.3.92 and see if it works for me.
> Let me know if I can help making further tests.
>
> Pantxo
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-3-3-55-and-Octave-3-3-90-on-OSX-tp3247286p3337673.html
> Sent from the Octave - Maintainers mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cs-list error with MacOS [was: Octave-3.3.55 and Octave-3.3.90 on OSX]

bpabbott
Administrator
On Mar 6, 2011, at 10:26 AM, Richard Campbell wrote:

> Are you building 32 or 64 bit? It went away for me in 3.3.5x with 64 only
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Mar 6, 2011, at 10:14, Pantxo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the reply,
>> I will try to build 3.3.92 and see if it works for me.
>> Let me know if I can help making further tests.
>>
>> Pantxo

He's building 32bit.

Any idea what the origin of the bug is?

Ben
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cs-list error with MacOS [was: Octave-3.3.55 and Octave-3.3.90 on OSX]

Richard Campbell

On Mar 6, 2011, at 11:12 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2011, at 10:26 AM, Richard Campbell wrote:
>
>> Are you building 32 or 64 bit? It went away for me in 3.3.5x with 64 only
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Mar 6, 2011, at 10:14, Pantxo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the reply,
>>> I will try to build 3.3.92 and see if it works for me.
>>> Let me know if I can help making further tests.
>>>
>>> Pantxo
>
> He's building 32bit.
>
> Any idea what the origin of the bug is?
>
> Ben

I don't. As I indicated earlier, it was gone by 3.3.92 for both 32 and 64 bit builds (with -ff2c and blaswrap respectively), and was gone for 64-bit only sometime earlier. He is satisfying dependencies with Fink, which I was not, but that's clearly not the only problem since this keeps popping up.

I haven't been able to build the Mercurial tree for some time (it hangs at "Cloning into gnulib..." when I run autogen.sh) so without snapshots I won't be able to verify that the problem still exists. I didn't experience it in 3.4.0 though.

Campbell


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cs-list error with MacOS [was: Octave-3.3.55 and Octave-3.3.90 on OSX]

bpabbott
Administrator
On Mar 6, 2011, at 11:21 AM, Richard Campbell wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2011, at 11:12 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>
>> On Mar 6, 2011, at 10:26 AM, Richard Campbell wrote:
>>
>>> Are you building 32 or 64 bit? It went away for me in 3.3.5x with 64 only
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>
>>> On Mar 6, 2011, at 10:14, Pantxo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Thanks for the reply,
>>>> I will try to build 3.3.92 and see if it works for me.
>>>> Let me know if I can help making further tests.
>>>>
>>>> Pantxo
>>
>> He's building 32bit.
>>
>> Any idea what the origin of the bug is?
>>
>> Ben
>
> I don't. As I indicated earlier, it was gone by 3.3.92 for both 32 and 64 bit builds (with -ff2c and blaswrap respectively), and was gone for 64-bit only sometime earlier. He is satisfying dependencies with Fink, which I was not, but that's clearly not the only problem since this keeps popping up.
>
> I haven't been able to build the Mercurial tree for some time (it hangs at "Cloning into gnulib..." when I run autogen.sh) so without snapshots I won't be able to verify that the problem still exists. I didn't experience it in 3.4.0 though.
>
> Campbell


Regarding gnulib, you may have a proxy/firewall problem. Jarno helped me with pulling through my company's proxy server by using http access.

        http://fossplanet.com/f13/re-cloning-gnulib-behind-firewall-49511/

I have no problem building the developer's sources (32bit using Fink to satisfy dependencies). The only time I've seen this problem is when I tried a minimalistic build on a Mac with no Fink or MacPorts.

Ben

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cs-list error with MacOS [was: Octave-3.3.55 and Octave-3.3.90 on OSX]

Jarno Rajahalme

On Mar 6, 2011, at 18:33 , ext Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2011, at 11:21 AM, Richard Campbell wrote:
>
>>
>> I haven't been able to build the Mercurial tree for some time (it hangs at "Cloning into gnulib..." when I run autogen.sh) so without snapshots I won't be able to verify that the problem still exists. I didn't experience it in 3.4.0 though.
>>
>> Campbell
>
> Regarding gnulib, you may have a proxy/firewall problem. Jarno helped me with pulling through my company's proxy server by using http access.
>
> http://fossplanet.com/f13/re-cloning-gnulib-behind-firewall-49511/
>
> I have no problem building the developer's sources (32bit using Fink to satisfy dependencies). The only time I've seen this problem is when I tried a minimalistic build on a Mac with no Fink or MacPorts.
>
> Ben
>


I nowadays keep a local repo for gnulib and then set GNULIB_SRCDIR used by Octave build tools (bootstrap).

I.e. in my .profile (please replace /path/to with your local path):

# Local gnulib repository
export GNULIB_SRCDIR=/path/to/gnulib

And then in gnulib/.git/config:

        url = http://git.savannah.gnu.org/r/gnulib.git

( instead of url = git://git.savannah.gnu.org/gnulib.git  please note the /r/ in the http url above!)

This way each fresh build of the Mercurial tree clones gnulib from a local repo, which I keep updated manually by git pull in gnulib every now and then. This works behind a firewall by setting http_proxy.


1234