Octave 3.3.91 - impossible to install packages and built-in oct files...

Octave 3.3.91 - impossible to install packages and built-in oct files...

constant31
Hello,

I installed Octave 3.2.4 from the official setup exe on Windows Vista. All the packages are installed and all work.

However, after installing from a zip the 3.3.91 version from the site of Tatsuro Matsuoka:
   http://www.tatsuromatsuoka.com/octave/Eng/Win/
I tried to add packages to Octave. This was impossible and I'm very frustrated.

I copied all the needed packages in the folder /share/octave/packages, each one with the defaul name after untaring the forge archive.

When I type:
 > pkg load optim  (for exemple), Octave says:
 > warning: addpath: C:\Octave\3_3_91\share\octave\packages\miscella: No such file or directory

Is like a stupid truncation of the path ....

I tried to find WHERE Octave put the list of the folders added in the path with 'addpath' and 'savepath'... but impossible to find too.

On the other hand, not only the packages is impossible to add, but the built-in libraries contained in the folder 'lib' (there are many precompiled oct files for some packages) too are impossible to add to Octave. Maybe one by one with 'addpath' but this seems a little bit stupid to do in this way, because there are so many.

In Octave 3.2.4 these files are installed in the folder :
  C:\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\libexec\octave\packages
and are automatically recognized. The 3.3.91 version doesn't recognize them.
After typing 'help numgradient' for exemple (a compiled function from the optim package), Octave says
> error: help: `numgradient' not found

Please help me or tell me where to read the corresponding info. Thank you by advance,
Constant

Re: Octave 3.3.91 - impossible to install packages and built-in oct files...

andy buckle
On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 1:29 PM, constant31 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I installed Octave 3.2.4 from the official setup exe on Windows Vista. All
> the packages are installed and all work.
>
> However, after installing from a zip the 3.3.91 version from the site of
> Tatsuro Matsuoka:
>   http://www.tatsuromatsuoka.com/octave/Eng/Win/
> I tried to add packages to Octave. This was impossible and I'm very
> frustrated.
>
> I copied all the needed packages in the folder /share/octave/packages, each
> one with the defaul name after untaring the forge archive.
>
> When I type:
>  > pkg load optim  (for exemple), Octave says:
>  > warning: addpath: C:\Octave\3_3_91\share\octave\packages\miscella: No
> such file or directory
>
> Is like a stupid truncation of the path ....
>
> I tried to find WHERE Octave put the list of the folders added in the path
> with 'addpath' and 'savepath'... but impossible to find too.
>
> On the other hand, not only the packages is impossible to add, but the
> built-in libraries contained in the folder 'lib' (there are many precompiled
> oct files for some packages) too are impossible to add to Octave. Maybe one
> by one with 'addpath' but this seems a little bit stupid to do in this way,
> because there are so many.
>
> In Octave 3.2.4 these files are installed in the folder :
>  C:\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\libexec\octave\packages
> and are automatically recognized. The 3.3.91 version doesn't recognize them.
> After typing 'help numgradient' for exemple (a compiled function from the
> optim package), Octave says
>> error: help: `numgradient' not found
>
> Please help me or tell me where to read the corresponding info. Thank you by
> advance,
> Constant

I have not tried copying packages between installations. I guess you
would need to look carefully at what was needed to install a package.

have you tried getting new packages from sourceforge
http://octave.sourceforge.net/packages.php

and doing
pkg install foo.tar.gz
?

--
/* andy buckle */

Re: Octave 3.3.91 - impossible to install packages and built-in oct files...

martin_helm
Am Mittwoch, 27. April 2011, 13:18:44 schrieb Andy Buckle:

> I have not tried copying packages between installations. I guess you
> would need to look carefully at what was needed to install a package.

I tried just for fun, it will not work, except it is a package with m-files
only.

> have you tried getting new packages from sourceforge
> http://octave.sourceforge.net/packages.php
>
> and doing
> pkg install foo.tar.gz
> ?
This is definitely mandatory to make it work. Most packages need to be
recompiled so that the linker links them to the new octave libraries.