Octave 3.4.2 for Windows and installer

octaveuser001
Hi,
Could any one please let me know when we will have an installer for Octave 3.4.2 on windows? (Similar to the 3.2 we have currently)

I downloaded the 3.4 binaries of MinGW for windows from http://www.tatsuromatsuoka.com/octave/Eng/Win/.
A specific problem that i had with 3.2 (isosurface/patch issue) seems to be fixed with 3.4. I was very excited but getting to use 3.4 with all packages is turning out to be painful and i feel despondent now.

Particularly i wanted to install the image 1.0.14 package, but I couldnt get "pkg install" working. I fiddled with the octave.bat file as specified in the readme (after downloading MinGW/MSYS/GnuWin32), but it still doesnt seem to work. It complains about missing g++.exe and i am not sure how many other path/environment variables needs to be set. Further on downloading 'OctaveLibs.zip' from the above website, my antivirus complains that it is a potential virus file!

Also, even without the image package, just calling the default "imread" complains about missing dependencies for "__magick_read__.oct" - I did see that there is a GraphicsMagicK-.1.3.12 but not sure if something else is missing.

Anyway, if the installer is going to be released sooner, i neednt spend time diagnosing this (especially since i am newbee to Octave.) If any one has got 3.4 on windows running with image package pls. do let me know.

Many thanks for your response.

Re: Octave 3.4.2 for Windows and installer

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On 28 August 2011 10:57, octaveuser001 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Could any one please let me know when we will have an installer for Octave
> 3.4.2 on windows? (Similar to the 3.2 we have currently)

When it's ready, sooner if you help.

Packaging on Windows is a pain. several people are working on it, but
we really need help with it. If you can figure out a way to help, e.g.
with programming or money aid to support those who are working on it,
you may get a Windows installer sooner.

> Particularly i wanted to install the image 1.0.14 package, but I
> couldnt get "pkg install" working. I fiddled with the octave.bat
> file as specified in the readme (after downloading
> MinGW/MSYS/GnuWin32), but it still doesnt seem to work. It complains
> about missing g++.exe and i am not sure how many other
> path/environment variables needs to be set.

Sadly, Octave's pkg mechanism works through source distribution. It
assumes you have an environment for compiling Octave and its
associated packages, so getting packages on Windows installed through
the pkg mechanism is no easier than creating a Windows installer
itself.

> Further on downloading 'OctaveLibs.zip' from the above website, my
> antivirus complains that it is a potential virus file!

I really doubt that Tatsuro is distributing Windows viruses by
mistake, but I suppose it's a possibility. Have you confirmed with
other antivirus software?

Sorry for the bleak news, but it is the state of things. We need help
with Windows distribution, and not enough Windows users want to help.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Octave 3.4.2 for Windows and installer

PhilipNienhuis
octaveuser001 wrote
Hi,
Could any one please let me know when we will have an installer for Octave 3.4.2 on windows? (Similar to the 3.2 we have currently)
No one can at the moment.
Personally I expect that Octave-3.4.2 won't be packaged as binary Windows distribution - the current 3.4.2 has some issues and I find more and more of them. Perhaps upcoming 3.4.3 is a better candidate.

What I did realize the last months is that the 3.2.4 MinGW binary is a very very good one - it's quality will be hard to beat. Benjamin Lindner (who made it) prebuilt and included a lot of octave-forge packages; I'm afraid especially that will be a challenge for 3.4.x.

I downloaded the 3.4 binaries of MinGW for windows from http://www.tatsuromatsuoka.com/octave/Eng/Win/.
A specific problem that i had with 3.2 (isosurface/patch issue) seems to be fixed with 3.4. I was very excited but getting to use 3.4 with all packages is turning out to be painful and i feel despondent now.

Particularly i wanted to install the image 1.0.14 package, but I couldnt get "pkg install" working. I fiddled with the octave.bat file as specified in the readme (after downloading MinGW/MSYS/GnuWin32), but it still doesnt seem to work. It complains about missing g++.exe and i am not sure how many other path/environment variables needs to be set. Further on downloading 'OctaveLibs.zip' from the above website, my antivirus complains that it is a potential virus file!
A false positive.
I have the same files d/led and installed and they work OK.

Also, even without the image package, just calling the default "imread" complains about missing dependencies for "__magick_read__.oct" - I did see that there is a GraphicsMagicK-.1.3.12 but not sure if something else is missing.
Perhaps if you unzip & install all Tatsuro's zips in the same place as he did (C:\Programs\), it might work.
You'll need to add the mingw\bin and msys\bin + octave-3.4.2\bin directories to the Windows PATH before starting Octave itself; I did that using a octave.bat file.

In the mean time I found that quite a few octave-forge packages with binary modules (.oct files) need to be updated to octave-3.4.2.

A while ago I cooked up a sort of binary Octave-3.4.2 installation by redistributing Tatsuro's dependencies etc into his Windows binary. Only then I could compile octave-forge packages (yes I recognize the missing g++ message).
I still have to write up how I did it, but like most Octave developers and contributors I lack time and I have other priorities (one of which is being on vacation with my family until early September).

Anyway, if the installer is going to be released sooner, i neednt spend time diagnosing this (especially since i am newbee to Octave.) If any one has got 3.4 on windows running with image package pls. do let me know.
I suppose Tatsuro does.

Anyway, moaning about sooner releases doesn't magically get us a 3.4.x Windows binary.
It has to be built and tested, and especially on Windows building isn't easy, and there are too few developers and testers involved with it.
Your report isn't in vain - it is good that you report problems and thus function as a tester. We need more detailed test reports however. To be able to do that, you need more info on how to proceed, sure.
Hopefully you'll have enough patience with us.

Philip

On 28 August 2011 16:10, PhilipNienhuis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No one can at the moment. Personally I expect that Octave-3.4.2
> won't be packaged as binary Windows distribution - the current 3.4.2
> has some issues and I find more and more of them. Perhaps upcoming
> 3.4.3 is a better candidate.

What issues? Are they all reported? Can we fix them?

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Octave 3.4.2 for Windows and installer

tmacchant
Hello

--- On Mon, 2011/8/29, octaveuser001  wrote:

> Hi,
> Could any one please let me know when we will have an installer for Octave
> 3.4.2 on windows? (Similar to the 3.2 we have currently)
>
> I downloaded the 3.4 binaries of MinGW for windows from
> http://www.tatsuromatsuoka.com/octave/Eng/Win/.
> A specific problem that i had with 3.2 (isosurface/patch issue) seems to be
> fixed with 3.4. I was very excited but getting to use 3.4 with all packages
> is turning out to be painful and i feel despondent now.
>
> Particularly i wanted to install the image 1.0.14 package, but I couldnt get
> "pkg install" working. I fiddled with the octave.bat file as specified in
> the readme (after downloading MinGW/MSYS/GnuWin32), but it still doesnt seem
> to work. It complains about missing g++.exe and i am not sure how many other
> path/environment variables needs to be set. Further on downloading
> 'OctaveLibs.zip' from the above website, my antivirus complains that it is a
> potential virus file!
I have checked OctaveLibs.zip by the Avast virus checker, no virus detected.
Sometimes virus checkers will overestimate the potential of virus infection.

> Also, even without the image package, just calling the default "imread"
> complains about missing dependencies for "__magick_read__.oct" - I did see
> that there is a GraphicsMagicK-.1.3.12 but not sure if something else is
> missing.
>
> Anyway, if the installer is going to be released sooner, i neednt spend time
> diagnosing this (especially since i am newbee to Octave.) If any one has got
> 3.4 on windows running with image package pls. do let me know.

Please see octave-3.4.2.bat in bin directory.  In that batch file, the example of setting  environmental variable is described. Using this I have installed odepkg and miscellaneous octave-forge-packages as trial.

Supporting the octave-forge package are very tough work so that I have tried only two (odepkg and miscellaneous) packages. (Because I use them in my daily use of octave.)

More stuffs who work on windows build, package managing and etc. are required.

Regards

Tatsuro

Re: Octave 3.4.2 for Windows and installer

tmacchant
Hello

Using octave-3.4.2.bat, I could install image-1.0.14 package.

octave:4> pkg list
Package Name   | Version | Installation directory
---------------+---------+-----------------------
        image *|  1.0.14 | C:\octave\3.4.2\share\octave\packages\image-1.0.14
miscellaneous *|  1.0.11 | ...\3.4.2\share\octave\packages\miscellaneous-1.0.11
       odepkg *|   0.8.0 | C:\octave\3.4.2\share\octave\packages\odepkg-0.8.0

Regards

Tatsuro

--- On Mon, 2011/8/29, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:

> Hello
>
> --- On Mon, 2011/8/29, octaveuser001  wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Could any one please let me know when we will have an installer for Octave
> > 3.4.2 on windows? (Similar to the 3.2 we have currently)
> >
> > I downloaded the 3.4 binaries of MinGW for windows from
> > http://www.tatsuromatsuoka.com/octave/Eng/Win/.
> > A specific problem that i had with 3.2 (isosurface/patch issue) seems to be
> > fixed with 3.4. I was very excited but getting to use 3.4 with all packages
> > is turning out to be painful and i feel despondent now.
> >
> > Particularly i wanted to install the image 1.0.14 package, but I couldnt get
> > "pkg install" working. I fiddled with the octave.bat file as specified in
> > the readme (after downloading MinGW/MSYS/GnuWin32), but it still doesnt seem
> > to work. It complains about missing g++.exe and i am not sure how many other
> > path/environment variables needs to be set. Further on downloading
> > 'OctaveLibs.zip' from the above website, my antivirus complains that it is a
> > potential virus file!
> I have checked OctaveLibs.zip by the Avast virus checker, no virus detected.
> Sometimes virus checkers will overestimate the potential of virus infection.
>

> > Also, even without the image package, just calling the default "imread"
> > complains about missing dependencies for "__magick_read__.oct" - I did see
> > that there is a GraphicsMagicK-.1.3.12 but not sure if something else is
> > missing.
> >
> > Anyway, if the installer is going to be released sooner, i neednt spend time
> > diagnosing this (especially since i am newbee to Octave.) If any one has got
> > 3.4 on windows running with image package pls. do let me know.
>
> Please see octave-3.4.2.bat in bin directory.  In that batch file, the example of setting  environmental variable is described. Using this I have installed odepkg and miscellaneous octave-forge-packages as trial.
>
> Supporting the octave-forge package are very tough work so that I have tried only two (odepkg and miscellaneous) packages. (Because I use them in my daily use of octave.)
>
> More stuffs who work on windows build, package managing and etc. are required.
>
> Regards
>
> Tatsuro

Re: Octave 3.4.2 for Windows and installer

tmacchant
Hello

> Please see octave-3.4.2.bat in bin directory.  In that batch file, the example of setting  environmental variable is described. Using this I have installed odepkg and miscellaneous octave-forge-packages as trial.

Sorry
Not 'octave-3.4.2.bat' but 'octave.bat'.

Regards

Tatsuro

Re: Octave 3.4.2 for Windows and installer

PhilipNienhuis
Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
On 28 August 2011 16:10, PhilipNienhuis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No one can at the moment. Personally I expect that Octave-3.4.2
> won't be packaged as binary Windows distribution - the current 3.4.2
> has some issues and I find more and more of them. Perhaps upcoming
> 3.4.3 is a better candidate.

What issues? Are they all reported? Can we fix them?
Some; yes - to some extent; and hopefully.

I've reported them earlier (some months ago?); one at least (with fltk plotting with Tatsuro's binary) turns out to pop up in more situations than I previously found.

As outlined in my previous post, I have other priorities at the moment :-)

Later in September I'll have (hope to have) more time to sort it out and (to try to) produce a test case. I have a MinGW 3.4.2 debug build at home which may make tracking down a bit easier.

P.