Octave 3.6.2 fails at end of script

Terry Duell
Hello All,
I am getting the following from Octave 3.6.2 after my script is completed.

panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
panic: attempted clean up apparently failed -- aborting...
Aborted (core dumped)

I have only recently upgraded to 3.6.2 and it seems to be the normal
outcome.
I am running Octave on Fedora 17 x86_64, from the Fedora repo.
Is this something that might result from my poorly written script, and
hence avoided?

Cheers,
Terry Duell

Re: Octave 3.6.2 fails at end of script

Dmitri A. Sergatskov
On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 9:05 PM, Terry Duell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello All,
> I am getting the following from Octave 3.6.2 after my script is completed.
>
> panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
> panic: attempted clean up apparently failed -- aborting...
> Aborted (core dumped)
>
> I have only recently upgraded to 3.6.2 and it seems to be the normal
> outcome.
> I am running Octave on Fedora 17 x86_64, from the Fedora repo.
> Is this something that might result from my poorly written script, and hence
> avoided?

This is a bug. No script should cause octave to segfault.
Could you send us a test case?

> Cheers,
> --
> Regards,
> Terry Duell

Dmitri.

Re: Octave 3.6.2 fails at end of script

Terry Duell
Hello Dmriti,

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 14:46:11 +1000, Dmitri A. Sergatskov
<[hidden email]> wrote:

[snip]

> This is a bug. No script should cause octave to segfault.
> Could you send us a test case?

Yes, I can, but how should I do that?
I have been chastised in the past for posting with an attachment.

The test case involves reading in an image file (tif), extracting the red
band and writing out the red band as a jpg. Using the tif image file
as-is, an archive of the image and script is about 12.7MB.

Cheers,
Terry Duell

Re: Octave 3.6.2 fails at end of script

Terry Duell
Hello Dmriti,

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 15:28:08 +1000, Dmitri A. Sergatskov
<[hidden email]> wrote:

[snip]

> 24 MB attachment would be bad.
> Ideally you should make it available for download on some kind of
> server....
> Does the problem appear only with this particular image file?

No, it has occurred with all I have been working with today.
I will see if I can trigger the problem with a downscaled version of the
image.
If that still causes a problem I will put an archive on a public dropbox
site and pass you the address.

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 12:07 AM, Terry Duell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, I can, but how should I do that?
> I have been chastised in the past for posting with an attachment.
>
> The test case involves reading in an image file (tif), extracting the red
> band and writing out the red band as a jpg. Using the tif image file as-is,
> an archive of the image and script is about 12.7MB.

12 MB attachment would be bad.

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 1:06 AM, Terry Duell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 16:04:31 +1000, Dmitri A. Sergatskov
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> It worked fine on my computer (Fedora 17 x86_64).
>> octave.x86_64                            6:3.6.2-2.fc17
>> octave-image.x86_64                      1.0.15-3.fc17
>> GraphicsMagick.x86_64                   1.3.16-5.fc17
>>
>> Attached is the result.
>> Is you Fedora 32 or 64 bit?
>>

> My system is 64 bit.
> Everything the same as yours except I have installed octave-image directly
> from octave-forge, not from Fedora repo.
> My Fedora is up-to-date, latest security and bug fixes have just (last 30
> mins) been installed.
> It now isn't clear where to look for the problem. Maybe I should remove the
> forge installed image and try the fedora repo version.

My wild guess is that you may have compiled image package with an older version
of octave (or some other library that got updated since your compile).
Try to recompile...

> Thanks for your help.
>

> Cheers,
> --
> Regards,
> Terry Duell

Dmitri.

Re: Octave 3.6.2 fails at end of script

nickly
<strong>burberry bags outlet</strong> Coats is also your favorite color purse, he would dirty a lot of quickly if used on a daily basis - or if they're employed by go conveyance. you'll be able to produce a color you prefer what you suits your complexion, however additionally to contemplate however typically they're used.
The shot simply takes my breath away.  for the stylish and distinctive vogue in addition because the distinctive British flavors. These products consist of wool, silk, and cotton.Consequently, one of the most common design of<strong>burberry tote bag</strong>will in all probability be the woolly-knitted scarf, that is excellent for keeping girls cozy and cozy through the winter season. many different girls stroll near to placing on scarves on their shoulders to create their outfit visual element fabulous and even draw attention<strong>burberry hobo</strong>.

burberry shoulder

bag

Burberry Bowling

Bag

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 1:45 AM, Terry Duell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 16:32:57 +1000, Dmitri A. Sergatskov
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Yes. And my guess is that you have installed (compiled) image package
>> against the version of octave that came with Fedora originally.
>> The Fedora's octave has since been updated to a newer version, and
>> you should recompile all your self-compiled octave-forge packages against
>> it.
>

> OK, I uninstalled image-1.0.15...which then disappeared but Octave gave a
> weird message like some files may not be installed, and nothing else.
> I then did a 'pkg install -forge image', which gave a huge number of errors,
> mostly "file not found" stuff which was blatantly wrong as the files it
> referred to were there, and it all looked like it was all installed in the
> end.
> Trying my test again produces a result, as previous, but octave still
> segfaults.
> So, again, I'm not sure how to approach this. Something seems out of kilter
> with the pkg install which might be the cause, but how to best go about a
> proper/clean setup of forge packages?
>

> Cheers,
> --
> Regards,
> Terry Duell

Fedora installed packages into ~/octave directory.
You can just purge the entire image sub-directory that is there.
(You may also want to clean up ~/.octaverc appropriately.)

Then you can do "pkg install" thing again.

Frankly, I would recommend using rpm packages when
they are available...

Dmitri.

Re: Octave 3.6.2 fails at end of script

Carnë Draug-2
On 27 September 2012 07:07, Terry Duell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Dmriti,
>
> On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 14:46:11 +1000, Dmitri A. Sergatskov
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>> This is a bug. No script should cause octave to segfault.
>> Could you send us a test case?
>>
> Yes, I can, but how should I do that?
> I have been chastised in the past for posting with an attachment.
>
> The test case involves reading in an image file (tif), extracting the red
> band and writing out the red band as a jpg. Using the tif image file as-is,
> an archive of the image and script is about 12.7MB.

The ideal place to report bugs is
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=additem&group=octave In a mailing
list things get lost. Maybe now, no one is able to fix your problem
but one day someone will. Ideally you'd post the simplest example
possible to reproduce your bug.

Carnë

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Terry Duell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Dmitri,
>
> On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 17:10:47 +1000, Dmitri A. Sergatskov
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> Fedora installed packages into ~/octave directory.
>> You can just purge the entire image sub-directory that is there.
>> (You may also want to clean up ~/.octaverc appropriately.)
>>
>> Then you can do "pkg install" thing again.
>

> This is a very curious situation.
> I have removed image, using 'pkg uninstall' and checked .octaverc, and gone
> through the whole process again installing from forge, without any errors
> this time, but running my test still causes octave to segfault.
> I then uninstalled again and installed the Fedora octave-image rpm. Still
> get a segfault.
> The fact that you can't reproduce the problem on what is essentially the
> same system, heightens my suspicion that it may be a local system problem,
> but I have no idea how to track it any further.

On octave prompt, what does
which mat2gray
returns?
If you are using rpm package you should see:

octave> which mat2gray
`mat2gray' is a function from the file
/usr/share/octave/packages/image-1.0.15/mat2gray.m
octave>

> Cheers,
> --
> Regards,