Octave 3.6.x for windows

marciobarbalho
Hi all,

Do you know if a 'stable' release of Octave's latest builds are available? I tried 3.6.2 but it won't open on Windows 8.

I'm running 3.2.4

Thank you

Márcio
Luck is when opportunity meets preparation. {Seneca}

Re: Octave 3.6.x for windows

marciobarbalho
Hi Marco,

Do you know if there is some sort of 'editing'? It won't start properly here on Win8? I got the GUI to start at the price of not displaying graphs. It seems to be it will work 100% after someone compiles it on Windows 8. If I knew how, I would do it.

Thank you for your time

Márcio
Luck is when opportunity meets preparation. {Seneca}

Re: Octave 3.6.x for windows

marciobarbalho
Alec Teal wrote
Please try with windows 7, windows 8 is just... no
Can't. I bought Win8 a few days ago!

On 03/02/13 18:19, marciobarbalho wrote:
> Alec Teal wrote
>> Please try with windows 7, windows 8 is just... no
> Can't. I bought Win8 a few days ago!
Lol fail, no seriously, why!

Re: Octave 3.6.x for windows

marciobarbalho
This post was updated on .
Alec Teal wrote
On 03/02/13 18:19, marciobarbalho wrote:
> Alec Teal wrote
>> Please try with windows 7, windows 8 is just... no
> Can't. I bought Win8 a few days ago!
Lol fail, no seriously, why!
This is off-topic but may I ask why you asked 'why'? I'd used many unix-based operating systems before I decided to migrate to Windows, from the hardcore Slackware to the easy-going Ubuntu, tried many Windows OS and now I could not miss the deal of buying a genuine OS like win 8 for US $35, which I intend to stick with for years to come. Plus, to be honest, it is the best I have seen! You may of course, disagree.

On 2/3/2013 6:59 PM, Alec Teal wrote:

> On 03/02/13 16:43, marco atzeri wrote:
>> Octave 3.6.2 for cygwin was reported to work on windows 8
>>
>> On Sunday, February 3, 2013, marciobarbalho wrote:
>>
>>     Hi all,
>>
>>     Do you know if a 'stable' release of Octave's latest builds are
>>     available? I
>>     tried 3.6.2 but it won't open on Windows 8.
>>
>>     I'm running 3.2.4
>>
>>     Thank you
>>
>>     Márcio

again, someone reported that the cygwin version of octave
is working on win 8

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Windows-8-tt4645911.html#a4647236

This  means Marcio you need to install octave with
the cygwin setup downloaded from www.cygwin.com

http://www.ehow.com/how_8736399_use-octave-cygwin.html

As the grahics system is based on X, I suggest to install also
"xinit" that will pull the installation of the X system

Regards
Marco

Re: Octave 3.6.x for windows

marciobarbalho
This post was updated on .
marco atzeri-2 wrote
again, someone reported that the cygwin version of octave
is working on win 8

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Windows-8-tt4645911.html#a4647236

This  means Marcio you need to install octave with
the cygwin setup downloaded from www.cygwin.com

http://www.ehow.com/how_8736399_use-octave-cygwin.html

As the grahics system is based on X, I suggest to install also
"xinit" that will pull the installation of the X system

Regards
Marco
I did as suggested, after installing almost the entire X on my windows, just to find out octave won't work with gnuplot. Is there any edit I should make?
You will find a screenshot attached showing the error I got when I asked octave to graph 'plot(1:10)':

THANK YOU

On 2/4/2013 11:47 AM, marciobarbalho wrote:

> marco atzeri-2 wrote
>> again, someone reported that the cygwin version of octave
>> is working on win 8
>>
>> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Windows-8-tt4645911.html#a4647236
>>
>> This  means Marcio you need to install octave with
>> the cygwin setup downloaded from www.cygwin.com
>>
>> http://www.ehow.com/how_8736399_use-octave-cygwin.html
>>
>> As the grahics system is based on X, I suggest to install also
>> "xinit" that will pull the installation of the X system
>>

>> Regards
>> Marco
>
> I did as suggested, after installing almost the entire X on my windows, just
> to find out octave won't work with gnuplot. Is there any edit I should make?
> You will find a screenshot attached showing the error I got when I asked
> octave to graph 'plot(1:10)':
> <http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4649463/Sem_t%C3%ADtulo.png>

Hi Marcio,

1) do not install cygwin on directories with a space inside
"C:\cygwin" is better the "C:\Program Files\cygwin"

You should be able to just move the directories, without re-installing

2) http://cygwin.com/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.fixing-fork-failures

To simplify your need save the attached file as "rebaseall_example.bat"
on "C:\cygwin" and run it.

Regards
Marco

Regards
Marco

rebaseall_example.bat.txt (262 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Octave 3.6.x for windows

marciobarbalho
Worked nicely here!
Thank you very much!
Luck is when opportunity meets preparation. {Seneca}

Re: Octave 3.6.x for windows

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On 2 February 2013 20:07, marciobarbalho <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do you know if a 'stable' release of Octave's latest builds are available? I
> tried 3.6.2 but it won't open on Windows 8.

There was or is a bug in gnulib that prevents Octave from working on Windows 8:

    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2012-12/msg00111.html

It would be helpful if you could tell us if this fixes the problem for you.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Octave 3.6.x for windows

Michael Goffioul
On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 2 February 2013 20:07, marciobarbalho <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do you know if a 'stable' release of Octave's latest builds are available? I
> tried 3.6.2 but it won't open on Windows 8.

There was or is a bug in gnulib that prevents Octave from working on Windows 8:

    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2012-12/msg00111.html

It would be helpful if you could tell us if this fixes the problem for you.

The solution has been tested, see:

However, it hasn't been implemented in gnulib AFAIK. Thinking about it, I've the impression they expect me to produce a gnulib patch, but I don't really have the time atm.

Michael.

Re: Octave 3.6.x for windows

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On 4 February 2013 10:02, Michael Goffioul <[hidden email]> wrote:
> However, it hasn't been implemented in gnulib AFAIK. Thinking about it, I've
> the impression they expect me to produce a gnulib patch, but I don't really
> have the time atm.

Alright, I'll handle it, thanks.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Octave 3.6.x for windows

Michael Goffioul
On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 4 February 2013 10:02, Michael Goffioul <[hidden email]> wrote:
> However, it hasn't been implemented in gnulib AFAIK. Thinking about it, I've
> the impression they expect me to produce a gnulib patch, but I don't really
> have the time atm.

Alright, I'll handle it, thanks.

Thanks. Just to avoid any confusion, the solution that seems to work is in this file:

in the function IsConsoleHandle2

Michael.

Re: Octave 3.6.x for windows

marciobarbalho
Hi all:

Off-topic question:

Does anyone know how to get bash to start 'startxwin' and close itself afterwards?

I tried modifying bashrc by adding 'startxwin &' and 'exit' but it didn't work as expected!

Many thanks

On 2/4/2013 6:16 PM, marciobarbalho wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> Off-topic question:
>
> Does anyone know how to get bash to start 'startxwin' and close itself
> afterwards?
>
> I tried modifying bashrc by adding 'startxwin &' and 'exit' but it didn't
> work as expected!
>
> Many thanks
>
> Márcio

Marcio,
this are cygwin questions not octave ones,
someone at http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/ mailing list
has W8 so they can better help you.

What is the problem to use "X Win Server"  shortcut
instead of running startxwin from bash ?

Wait, W8 killed the Menu so you do not see the shortcut, correct ?

Try installing xlaunch, it does not need bash to run Xserver

Regards
Marco

Re: Octave 3.6.x for windows

marciobarbalho
I don't know what happened but it stopped working:

when I ask Octave to graph, it will show me this error message:

octave:1> plot(0:10)
      3 [main] gnuplot 4072 child_info_fork::abort: C:\cygwin\bin\cygicudata48.dll: Loaded to different address: parent(0x920000) != child(0x8A0000)
octave:2>       3 [main] gnuplot 2876 child_info_fork::abort: C:\cygwin\bin\cygicudata48.dll: Loaded to different address: parent(0x920000) != child(0x8E0000)

gnuplot> nset obj 1;
         ^
         line 0: invalid command

octave:2>

Does anyone know what this is about?

Thank you
Luck is when opportunity meets preparation. {Seneca}

Re: Octave 3.6.x for windows

marciobarbalho
Yeah, trouble much. I reinstalled octave (core and others) just to find out it won't graph with gnuplot anymore:

octave:1> plot(rand(10,1))
      4 [main] octave-3.6.2 3384 child_info_fork::abort: C:\cygwin\bin\cyggcc_s-1.dll: Loaded to different address: parent(0x2E0000) != child(0x260000)
error: popen2: process creation failed -- Resource temporarily unavailable
error: called from:
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.6.2/m/plot/private/__gnuplot_open_stream__.m at line 30, column 44
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.6.2/m/plot/__gnuplot_drawnow__.m at line 72, column 19
octave:2>

I would like to say that I have no words to describe how grateful I am for everything you guys have done to help me out.
As I need octave/scilab working almost on a daily basis, I think I'll downgrade to octave 3.2.4, which was working perfectly on my Windows 8. Thank you a million!

Regards