Octave 3.8.1 Released

The Octave developers are pleased to announce the release of
GNU Octave, version 3.8.1.

Version 3.8.1 is a bug fixing release.

One of the biggest new features for the Octave 3.8.x release series is
a graphical user interface. It is the one thing that users have
requested most often over the last few years and now it is almost
ready. But because it is not quite as polished as we would like, we
have decided to wait until the 4.0.x release series before making the
GUI the default interface (until then, you can use the --force-gui
option to start the GUI).

Given the length of time and the number of bug fixes and improvements
since the last major release Octave, we also decided against delaying
the release any longer. So please enjoy the 3.8.1 release of Octave and
the preview of the new GUI. We believe it is working reasonably well,
but we also know that there are some obvious rough spots and many
things that could be improved.

Please see http://octave.org/NEWS-3.8.html for a more complete list of
significant user-visible changes in this release.

WE ALSO NEED YOUR HELP to fix the remaining problems, complete the
GUI, and improve the overall user experience for both novices and
experts alike:

    * If you are a skilled software developer, you can help by
      contributing your time to help with Octave's development.
      See http://octave.org/get-involved.html for more info.

    * If Octave does not work properly, you are encouraged to report the
      problems you find.  Bug reporting guidelines are available at
      http://octave.org/bugs.html

    * Whether you are a user or developer, you can help to fund the
      project.  Octave development takes a lot of time and expertise.
      Your contributions help Octave continue to improve.  The Free
      Software Foundation's Working Together for Free Software campaign
      fund now accepts donations for Octave at
      https://my.fsf.org/donate/working-together/octave

We hope you find Octave to be useful. Please help us make it even
better for the future!

The source code for Octave 3.8.1 is available for download at:

    http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave
    ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave

Please see http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html for mirror sites around
the world.  Or you may use http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/octave, which will
redirect automatically to a nearby mirror.

Links to binary (executable) versions for various systems will be
listed at http://octave.org/download.html as they become
available.

As always, many people contributed to this Octave release.  A complete
list of contributors may be found in the Octave manual.

About Octave:

GNU Octave is a high-level interpreted language, primarily intended
for numerical computations.  It provides capabilities for the
numerical solution of linear and nonlinear problems and for
performing other numerical experiments.  It also provides extensive
graphics capabilities for data visualization and manipulation.  Octave
is normally used through its interactive command line interface, but
it can also be used to write non-interactive programs.  The Octave
language is quite similar to Matlab so that most programs are easily
portable.  A full description of Octave capabilities is available at
http://octave.org/doc/interpreter/index.html.

Re: Octave 3.8.1 Released

tmacchant
--- On Sat, 2014/3/8, John W. Eaton wrote:

> [...]
> listed at http://octave.org/download.html as they become
> available.
>
> As always, many people contributed to this Octave release.  A complete
> list of contributors may be found in the Octave manual.
>

> About Octave:
>
> GNU Octave is a high-level interpreted language, primarily intended
> for numerical computations.  It provides capabilities for the
> numerical solution of linear and nonlinear problems and for
> performing other numerical experiments.  It also provides extensive
> graphics capabilities for data visualization and manipulation.  Octave
> is normally used through its interactive command line interface, but
> it can also be used to write non-interactive programs.  The Octave
> language is quite similar to Matlab so that most programs are easily
> portable.  A full description of Octave capabilities is available at

I have built octave-3.8.1 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (32 bit).
'make check' result was :

  system.tst ............................................. PASS   95/96   FAIL 1

  PASS     11538
  FAIL         1
  XFAIL        7

fntest.log for system.tst :
  ***** testif HAVE_GETPWUID
 x = getpwuid (getuid ());
 assert (x.dir, tilde_expand ("~"));
 assert (x.dir, tilde_expand (sprintf ("~%s", x.name)));
 assert ("foobar", tilde_expand ("foobar"));
!!!!! test failed
ASSERT errors for:  assert (x.dir,tilde_expand ("~"))

  Location  |  Observed  |  Expected  |  Reason
     []         /root     /home/tatsuromatsuoka       Strings don't match

Regards

Tatsuro

Re: Octave 3.8.1 Released

Mike Miller
(trimmed the cc list a bit)

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 12:08:36 +0900, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:

>   ***** testif HAVE_GETPWUID
>  x = getpwuid (getuid ());
>  assert (x.dir, tilde_expand ("~"));
>  assert (x.dir, tilde_expand (sprintf ("~%s", x.name)));
>  assert ("foobar", tilde_expand ("foobar"));
> !!!!! test failed
> ASSERT errors for:  assert (x.dir,tilde_expand ("~"))
>
>   Location  |  Observed  |  Expected  |  Reason
>      []         /root     /home/tatsuromatsuoka       Strings don't match

Is this by chance running as "fakeroot make check"?

Re: Octave 3.8.1 Released

tmacchant
--- On Mon, 2014/3/10, Mike Miller wrote:

> (trimmed the cc list a bit)

> >   ***** testif HAVE_GETPWUID
> >  x = getpwuid (getuid ());
> >  assert (x.dir, tilde_expand ("~"));
> >  assert (x.dir, tilde_expand (sprintf ("~%s", x.name)));
> >  assert ("foobar", tilde_expand ("foobar"));
> > !!!!! test failed
> > ASSERT errors for:  assert (x.dir,tilde_expand ("~"))
> >
> >   Location  |  Observed  |  Expected  |  Reason
> >      []         /root     /home/tatsuromatsuoka       Strings don't match
>
> Is this by chance running as "fakeroot make check"?
>
> --
> mike

 I have executed "fakeroot make check" and the same result was obtained as "make check".

Tatsuro

Re: Re: Octave 3.8.1 Released

nrjank
On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Sergei Steshenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

HI!!   Welcome to the world of free open source software!  So glad you
could join us!  First things first, allow me to point out how great it
is that you're willing to help out on this project! We're really
excited to hear that you volunteered to compile a Release Notes list
from the list of corrected bugs that was provided in the thread
yesterday by "c." !!!1! Since we recognize the time and effort that
goes into making a complex software package as useful as Octave in
your free time, I can only say 'wow', it's great to have people like
you here to pitch in with the little things that bring it all
together! Especially something that fits so perfectly with your real
world expertise!!!! I'm sure once you get started on it the others
will be happy to review with editing/formatting/etc comments to help
get it up to snuff! I just can't express enough how excited I'm sure
we all are to see this happen, and all the thanks go to you!!!

So, THANKS!

Nick J.

/feed

Re: Octave 3.8.1 Released

Mike Miller
On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 13:27:06 +0900, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
>  I have executed "fakeroot make check" and the same result was obtained as "make check".

I don't know how "make check" in a normal environment could be giving
you the results you are seeing, my point was that it looked like you
were running "fakeroot make check", or maybe "sudo make check". These
are the only ways I can think of to get the results you're seeing.

Re: Octave 3.8.1 Released

CdeMills
John W. Eaton wrote
The Octave developers are pleased to announce the release of
GNU Octave, version 3.8.1.

Version 3.8.1 is a bug fixing release.
I've just compiled 3.8.1. on cygwin and there is a issue which wasn't present in 3.8.1-rc3.

Octave was configured as "./configure --prefix=${HOME]/usr"
this is to say that the whole hiearchy should live under $HOME/usr

My setting was that ${HOME}/usr/bin was at the end of $PATH. Which such setting,
 ~/usr/bin/octave --force-gui
launch the executable
/home/PascalDupuis/usr/libexec/octave/3.8.1/exec/x86_64-unknown-cygwin/octave-gui.exe
which itself depend upon e.a. cygoctave-2.dll
Which such setup, /usr/bin/cygoctave-2.dll is found first, and it launches the 3.8.0 version. Prepending instead of appending ${HOME}/usr/bin to $PATH solved the problem. Is there some change between 3.8.1-rc3 and 3.8.1 inducing this effect ?

Regards

Pascal

Octave 3.8.2 released

The Octave developers are pleased to announce the release of
GNU Octave, version 3.8.2.

Version 3.8.2 is a bug fixing release.  The bugs fixed in this release
are listed at the end of this message.

[...]

The source code for Octave 3.8.2 is available for download at:

    http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave
    ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave

   -rw-r--r-- 1 3003 3002 17834980 Aug 13 16:12 octave-3.8.2.tar.bz2
   -rw-r--r-- 1 3003 3002 20859277 Aug 13 16:13 octave-3.8.2.tar.gz

   md5sum: 188bd97e22054f9c62701ee0e6800dc1  octave-3.8.2.tar.bz2
   md5sum: ed6ab54e5259a6e1ca7ece192026745a  octave-3.8.2.tar.gz

[...]

Bugs that have been fixed since the last release (info extracted from
the commit message summary lines; bug numbers are from the bug tracker
at http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=octave):

ls.m: Fix bug listing directories with spaces in name (bug #42920)

Don't require Qt 4.7 (bug #42657)

Fix compiling GUI on Alpha platforms (bug #42839)

Fix png check for image class in older GraphicsMagick (bug #42834)

Correct variable name in waitforbuttonpress docstring (bug #42768)

Stop mkoctfile process if any part of compilation or linking fails (bug
#42704)

Create octave.desktop files even when --disable-docs configured (bug #42720)

Don't deprecate java_get() and java_set() functions (bug #41239)

Better guess if rem or mod could be zero (bug #42627)

Improve accuracy of range/scalar arithmetic (bug #42589)

strread.m: Process string escapes on single quoted format (bug #42609)

strread.m: drop valid delimiters from format specifier list (bug #42609)

Check for name and type keyword to return as an octave ascii data file
(bug #42586)

Use gnulib log2 modules (bug #42583)

Return error code from sparse chol factorization (bug #42587)

Use button value 1 for mouse button keypress 1063 (bug #42489)

Correctly return 0 for empty matrices (bug #42563)

Allow loading mat5 files generated from R and Python (bug #42562)

Fix xticklabel with minor grid (bug #38139, bug #40256)

Only show directories in search directory dialog activated from files
browser

Fix typo in graphics.in.h (bug #42535).

Fix incorrect sparse matrix example code in oct-file chapter (bug #41799)

Fix binmap for sparse-scalar or scalar-sparse operations (bug #40813)

Fix infinite loop and segfault for atan2, fmod, hypot (bug #40813)

eigs: selection columns of V, not rows (bug #41795)

Fix regression in hist with multiple columns and normalization (bug #42394)

Fix regression in width of bars for hist() (bug #42401)

Fix segfault with sparse inputs to complex() (bug #42290)

don't crash on empty script files (bug #42064)

Fix assert() segfaults with profiler (bug #39587, bug #39586)

Fix blank line appearing in profiler output (bug #39524)

isaxes.m: Fix bug where some inputs do not show up in outputs (bug #42362)

Correctly follow legend interpreter property for gnuplot (bug #40064)

Fix extra backslash escape for gnuplot when interpreter=none (bug #36744)

Fix segfault if subsasgn in @class returns no output (bug #41945)

__gnuplot_get_var__.m: Fix accidental use of gcf causing figure popups
in waitbar (bug #41446)

spy.m: Use nnz, not numel, to avoid overflowing octave_idx_type (bug #42116)

Fix inverted colors when printing uint8/uint16 images (bug #42107)

force integer font metric in gui terminal (partial fix of bug #37187)

Correctly validate arguments to dot function (bug #42061)

interp1.m: fix function for inputs w/multiple discontinuities (bug #41980)

don't truncate when casting char to uintN values (bug #42054)

libqterminal: Initialize m_cursorBlinking value (bug #41814)

Set only 'axis tight' for image functions and Matlab compatibility (bug
#42043, bug #41886)

fminunc.m: Fix typo in header documentation (bug #42011)

Fix segmentation fault for interp2 and pchip method (bug #41838)

__makeinfo__: Process Texinfo docstrings without type conversion (bug
#41965)

provide better default for Mac keyboard layouts (bug #41337)

listdlg.m: return Octave value rather than Java int object (bug #41931)

textscan.m: Fix undefined whitespace error with empty format input (bug
#41824)

waitbar.m: Fix regression of plots openin in waitbar window (bug #41914)

Fix dead assignment in oct-rand.cc do_float_scalar (bug #41827)

info on experimental gui is displayed with vertical scroll bar (bug #41840)

imagesc.m: Fix regression causing imagesc to display with 'axis equal'
(bug #41886)

r1mach.f: Fix cut and paste errors (bug #32120)

Force non-native menu bar for the editor on mac (bug #41823)

Re: Octave 3.8.2 released

Julien Bect
Le 13/08/2014 18:47, John W. Eaton a écrit :
> The Octave developers are pleased to announce the release of
> GNU Octave, version 3.8.2.

I don't know if it's intended, but this message actually appears in the
thread "Octave 3.8.1 Released" on Nabble.

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-3-8-1-Released-tp4662832p4666038.html

Re: Octave 3.8.2 released

On 08/13/2014 11:55 AM, Julien Bect wrote:
> Le 13/08/2014 18:47, John W. Eaton a écrit :
>> The Octave developers are pleased to announce the release of
>> GNU Octave, version 3.8.2.
>
> I don't know if it's intended, but this message actually appears in the
> thread "Octave 3.8.1 Released" on Nabble.
>
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-3-8-1-Released-tp4662832p4666038.html

No, that wasn't intentional.  I started by forwarding a previous message
to get the text, then edited and didn't think about the message-id
headers being preserved because my email client doesn't normally show
those to me.  Oops.  I'll try to be more careful about the way I send
these messages in the future so that they are in separate threads.

Re: Octave 3.8.2 released

tmacchant

[...]

I have built octave 3.8.2 on Ubuntu 12.04LTS (64bit) (--enable-jit).

make check results are:

  PASS     11598
  FAIL         0
  XFAIL        7

jit test

octave:1> a = 1; b = 1; tic; for i=1:1000; for j=1:1000; a = a + b; end; end; toc
Elapsed time is 3.07835 seconds.
octave:2> jit_enable(1)
octave:3> a = 1; b = 1; tic; for i=1:1000; for j=1:1000; a = a + b; end; end; toc
Elapsed time is 0.014153 seconds.

Tatsuro

Re: Octave 3.8.2 released

Dmitri A. Sergatskov

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 11:31 PM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have built octave 3.8.2 on Ubuntu 12.04LTS (64bit) (--enable-jit).

make check results are:

​Which version of LLVM do you have?
I cannot compile wit hjit anabled on Fedora 20  (LLVM 3.4.6):

In file included from corefcn/pt-jit.cc:55:0:
/usr/include/llvm/PassManager.h:34:15: error: 'PassManager' is already declared in this scope
 using legacy::PassManager;
               ^
/usr/include/llvm/PassManager.h:35:15: error: 'FunctionPassManager' is already declared in this scope
 using legacy::FunctionPassManager;
               ^
corefcn/pt-jit.cc: In member function 'bool tree_jit::initialize()':
corefcn/pt-jit.cc:1891:23: error: cannot convert 'llvm::legacy::PassManager*' to 'llvm::PassManager*' in assignment
   module_pass_manager = new llvm::PassManager ();

​(etc...)

Tatsuro

​Dmitri.

Re: Octave 3.8.2 released

tmacchant

[...]

To my knowledge, Octave-3.8 does not support llvm-3.4. I am using llvm-3.2 built myself. Perhaps, llvm-3.3 is OK for Octave-3.8 though I have not tested yet.
The develepment version octave perhaps supports llvm-3.4. Perhaps much experienced persons will give the correct replies.

Tatsuro

Re: Octave 3.8.2 released

Michael Godfrey
You need the attached patch. I thought that it might be in the release, but
obviously not.

Michael

llvm-3.4-3.5pre.patch (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Octave 3.8.2 released

tmacchant

Re: Octave 3.8.2 released

tmacchant

> [...]
> In file included from
> ../../octave-3.8.2-1/libinterp/corefcn/jit-typeinfo.h:34:0,
>                  from ../../octave-3.8.2-1/libinterp/corefcn/jit-ir.h:34,
>                  from ../../octave-3.8.2-1/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.h:30,
>                  from ../../octave-3.8.2-1/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:36:
> ../../octave-3.8.2-1/libinterp/corefcn/jit-util.h:51:9: error: forward
> declaration of 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
>    class FunctionPassManager;
>          ^
> make[3]: *** [corefcn/corefcn_libcorefcn_la-pt-jit.lo] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/home/tatsuromatsuoka/work/Octave/build-3.8.2-1/libinterp'
> make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/tatsuromatsuoka/work/Octave/build-3.8.2-1/libinterp'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tatsuromatsuoka/work/Octave/build-3.8.2-1'

I have tried the development source checked out today.
(Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit)

LLVM-3.4.2 is used.

Configure is done by the following:
PATH=$PATH:/opt/clang+llvm-3.4.2/bin ../octave/configure --enable-jit --prefix=/opt/octave-dev \
LLVM_CONFIG=/opt/clang+llvm-3.4.2/bin/llvm-config \
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/mpi -DMPICH_SKIP_MPICXX -DOMPI_SKIP_MPICXX"

The almost same error appeared at "make":

/bin/bash ../libtool  --tag=CXX   --mode=compile g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../octave/libinterp -I..  -I../../octave/liboctave/cruft/misc -I../../octave/liboctave/array -I../liboctave/numeric -I../../octave/liboctave/numeric -I../liboctave/operators -I../../octave/liboctave/operators -I../../octave/liboctave/system -I../../octave/liboctave/util -I../../octave/libinterp/octave-value -I../../octave/libinterp/operators -Iparse-tree -I../../octave/libinterp/parse-tree -Icorefcn -I../../octave/libinterp/corefcn -I../libgnu -I../../octave/libgnu   -I/usr/include/freetype2   -I/usr/include/freetype2    -isystem /opt/clang+llvm-3.4.2/include -I/usr/include/mpi -DMPICH_SKIP_MPICXX -DOMPI_SKIP_MPICXX  -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wold-style-cast -Wformat -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Wcast-align -Wcast-qual  -g -O2 -pthread -MT corefcn/corefcn_libcorefcn_la-pt-jit.lo -MD -MP -MF corefcn/.deps/corefcn_libcorefcn_la-pt-jit.Tpo -c -o
 corefcn/corefcn_libcorefcn_la-pt-jit.lo `test -f 'corefcn/pt-jit.cc' || echo '../../octave/libinterp/'`corefcn/pt-jit.cc
libtool: compile:  g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../octave/libinterp -I.. -I../../octave/liboctave/cruft/misc -I../../octave/liboctave/array -I../liboctave/numeric -I../../octave/liboctave/numeric -I../liboctave/operators -I../../octave/liboctave/operators -I../../octave/liboctave/system -I../../octave/liboctave/util -I../../octave/libinterp/octave-value -I../../octave/libinterp/operators -Iparse-tree -I../../octave/libinterp/parse-tree -Icorefcn -I../../octave/libinterp/corefcn -I../libgnu -I../../octave/libgnu -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -isystem /opt/clang+llvm-3.4.2/include -I/usr/include/mpi -DMPICH_SKIP_MPICXX -DOMPI_SKIP_MPICXX -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wold-style-cast -Wformat -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Wcast-align -Wcast-qual -g -O2 -pthread -MT corefcn/corefcn_libcorefcn_la-pt-jit.lo -MD -MP -MF corefcn/.deps/corefcn_libcorefcn_la-pt-jit.Tpo -c ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc  -fPIC -DPIC -o
 corefcn/.libs/corefcn_libcorefcn_la-pt-jit.o
In file included from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:67:0:
/opt/clang+llvm-3.4.2/include/llvm/PassManager.h:34:15: error: 'PassManager' is already declared in this scope
 using legacy::PassManager;
               ^
/opt/clang+llvm-3.4.2/include/llvm/PassManager.h:35:15: error: 'FunctionPassManager' is already declared in this scope
 using legacy::FunctionPassManager;
               ^
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc: In member function 'bool tree_jit::initialize()':
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:2071:23: error: cannot convert 'llvm::legacy::PassManager*' to 'llvm::PassManager*' in assignment
   module_pass_manager = new llvm::PassManager ();
                       ^
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:2072:16: error: cannot convert 'llvm::legacy::FunctionPassManager*' to 'llvm::FunctionPassManager*' in assignment
   pass_manager = new llvm::FunctionPassManager (module);
                ^
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:2074:22: error: invalid use of incomplete type 'class llvm::PassManager'
   module_pass_manager->add (llvm::createAlwaysInlinerPass ());
                      ^
In file included from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-typeinfo.h:34:0,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-ir.h:34,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.h:30,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:36:
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-util.h:52:9: error: forward declaration of 'class llvm::PassManager'
   class PassManager;
         ^
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:2077:15: error: invalid use of incomplete type 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   pass_manager->add (new llvm::DataLayout (*engine->getDataLayout ()));
               ^
In file included from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-typeinfo.h:34:0,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-ir.h:34,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.h:30,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:36:
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-util.h:51:9: error: forward declaration of 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   class FunctionPassManager;
         ^
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:2081:15: error: invalid use of incomplete type 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   pass_manager->add (llvm::createCFGSimplificationPass ());
               ^
In file included from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-typeinfo.h:34:0,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-ir.h:34,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.h:30,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:36:
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-util.h:51:9: error: forward declaration of 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   class FunctionPassManager;
         ^
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:2082:15: error: invalid use of incomplete type 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   pass_manager->add (llvm::createBasicAliasAnalysisPass ());
               ^
In file included from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-typeinfo.h:34:0,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-ir.h:34,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.h:30,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:36:
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-util.h:51:9: error: forward declaration of 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   class FunctionPassManager;
         ^
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:2083:15: error: invalid use of incomplete type 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   pass_manager->add (llvm::createPromoteMemoryToRegisterPass ());
               ^
In file included from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-typeinfo.h:34:0,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-ir.h:34,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.h:30,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:36:
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-util.h:51:9: error: forward declaration of 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   class FunctionPassManager;
         ^
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:2084:15: error: invalid use of incomplete type 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   pass_manager->add (llvm::createInstructionCombiningPass ());
               ^
In file included from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-typeinfo.h:34:0,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-ir.h:34,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.h:30,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:36:
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-util.h:51:9: error: forward declaration of 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   class FunctionPassManager;
         ^
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:2085:15: error: invalid use of incomplete type 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   pass_manager->add (llvm::createReassociatePass ());
               ^
In file included from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-typeinfo.h:34:0,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-ir.h:34,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.h:30,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:36:
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-util.h:51:9: error: forward declaration of 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   class FunctionPassManager;
         ^
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:2086:15: error: invalid use of incomplete type 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   pass_manager->add (llvm::createGVNPass ());
               ^
In file included from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-typeinfo.h:34:0,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-ir.h:34,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.h:30,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:36:
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-util.h:51:9: error: forward declaration of 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   class FunctionPassManager;
         ^
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:2087:15: error: invalid use of incomplete type 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   pass_manager->add (llvm::createCFGSimplificationPass ());
               ^
In file included from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-typeinfo.h:34:0,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-ir.h:34,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.h:30,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:36:
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-util.h:51:9: error: forward declaration of 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   class FunctionPassManager;
         ^
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:2088:15: error: invalid use of incomplete type 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   pass_manager->doInitialization ();
               ^
In file included from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-typeinfo.h:34:0,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-ir.h:34,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.h:30,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:36:
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-util.h:51:9: error: forward declaration of 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   class FunctionPassManager;
         ^
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc: In member function 'void tree_jit::optimize(llvm::Function*)':
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:2184:22: error: invalid use of incomplete type 'class llvm::PassManager'
   module_pass_manager->run (*module);
                      ^
In file included from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-typeinfo.h:34:0,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-ir.h:34,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.h:30,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:36:
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-util.h:52:9: error: forward declaration of 'class llvm::PassManager'
   class PassManager;
         ^
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:2185:15: error: invalid use of incomplete type 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   pass_manager->run (*fn);
               ^
In file included from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-typeinfo.h:34:0,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-ir.h:34,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.h:30,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:36:
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-util.h:51:9: error: forward declaration of 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   class FunctionPassManager;
         ^
make[3]: *** [corefcn/corefcn_libcorefcn_la-pt-jit.lo] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/tatsuromatsuoka/work/Octave/develop/build/libinterp'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/tatsuromatsuoka/work/Octave/develop/build/libinterp'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tatsuromatsuoka/work/Octave/develop/build'
make: *** [all] Error 2

So the patch is not wrong. Perhaps something is wrong for my configration for llvm-3.4.2.

Tatsuro

Re: Octave 3.8.1 Released

Adekoya Adekunle
Hi

I am trying to call a method using  a classdef construct . Please see the code below.

From my command line,  i did  :

1)   o = vepso(2) ;

2)  setvel(o,3) ;

but I got an error, "error: subsref: unknown method or property: setvel "

What do I need to do please ?

====================================class definition ===========================================

classdef vepso

 properties