Octave 3.8.1 Released

12

Octave 3.8.1 Released

The Octave developers are pleased to announce the release of
GNU Octave, version 3.8.1.

Version 3.8.1 is a bug fixing release.

One of the biggest new features for the Octave 3.8.x release series is
a graphical user interface. It is the one thing that users have
requested most often over the last few years and now it is almost
ready. But because it is not quite as polished as we would like, we
have decided to wait until the 4.0.x release series before making the
GUI the default interface (until then, you can use the --force-gui
option to start the GUI).

Given the length of time and the number of bug fixes and improvements
since the last major release Octave, we also decided against delaying
the release any longer. So please enjoy the 3.8.1 release of Octave and
the preview of the new GUI. We believe it is working reasonably well,
but we also know that there are some obvious rough spots and many
things that could be improved.

Please see http://octave.org/NEWS-3.8.html for a more complete list of
significant user-visible changes in this release.

WE ALSO NEED YOUR HELP to fix the remaining problems, complete the
GUI, and improve the overall user experience for both novices and
experts alike:

    * If you are a skilled software developer, you can help by
      contributing your time to help with Octave's development.
      See http://octave.org/get-involved.html for more info.

    * If Octave does not work properly, you are encouraged to report the
      problems you find.  Bug reporting guidelines are available at
      http://octave.org/bugs.html

    * Whether you are a user or developer, you can help to fund the
      project.  Octave development takes a lot of time and expertise.
      Your contributions help Octave continue to improve.  The Free
      Software Foundation's Working Together for Free Software campaign
      fund now accepts donations for Octave at
      https://my.fsf.org/donate/working-together/octave

We hope you find Octave to be useful. Please help us make it even
better for the future!

The source code for Octave 3.8.1 is available for download at:

    http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave
    ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave

Please see http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html for mirror sites around
the world.  Or you may use http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/octave, which will
redirect automatically to a nearby mirror.

Links to binary (executable) versions for various systems will be
listed at http://octave.org/download.html as they become
available.

As always, many people contributed to this Octave release.  A complete
list of contributors may be found in the Octave manual.

About Octave:

GNU Octave is a high-level interpreted language, primarily intended
for numerical computations.  It provides capabilities for the
numerical solution of linear and nonlinear problems and for
performing other numerical experiments.  It also provides extensive
graphics capabilities for data visualization and manipulation.  Octave
is normally used through its interactive command line interface, but
it can also be used to write non-interactive programs.  The Octave
language is quite similar to Matlab so that most programs are easily
portable.  A full description of Octave capabilities is available at
http://octave.org/doc/interpreter/index.html.

Re: Octave 3.8.1 Released

Sergei Steshenko

> [...]
>listed at http://octave.org/download.html as they become
>available.
>
>As always, many people contributed to this Octave release.  A complete
>list of contributors may be found in the Octave manual.
>

>About Octave:
>
>GNU Octave is a high-level interpreted language, primarily intended
>for numerical computations.  It provides capabilities for the
>numerical solution of linear and nonlinear problems and for
>performing other numerical experiments.  It also provides extensive
>graphics capabilities for data visualization and manipulation.  Octave
>is normally used through its interactive command line interface, but
>it can also be used to write non-interactive programs.  The Octave
>language is quite similar to Matlab so that most programs are easily
>portable.  A full description of Octave capabilities is available at

Unfortunately the above is a copy-pasted message from previous release - only 3.8.0 was replaced with 3.8.1 ?

Or am I missing something ?

Why won't you post the list of changes between 3.8.0 and 3.8.1 in the release note ?

Thanks,
  Sergei.

Re: Re: Octave 3.8.1 Released

On 03/08/2014 01:04 AM, Sergei Steshenko wrote:

> Why won't you post the list of changes between 3.8.0 and 3.8.1 in the release note ?

Check out a copy of the sources from the mercurial archive and you can
get a list of URLs for the bugs that were fixed by doing something like

   hg log -b stable -r release-3-8-0:tip | sed -n 's,.*bug
#\([^)]*\).*,https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?\1,p' | sort -u

Re: Octave 3.8.1 Released

c.-2

On 9 Mar 2014, at 05:41, John W. Eaton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/08/2014 01:04 AM, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
>
>> Why won't you post the list of changes between 3.8.0 and 3.8.1 in the release note ?
>
> Check out a copy of the sources from the mercurial archive and you can get a list of URLs for the bugs that were fixed by doing something like
>
>  hg log -b stable -r release-3-8-0:tip | sed -n 's,.*bug #\([^)]*\).*,https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?\1,p' | sort -u
>
> jwe

The total number of bugs returne by this command is:

$  hg log -b stable -r release-3-8-0:tip | sed -n 's,.*bug #\([^)]*\).*,https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?\1,p' | sort -u | wc -l
      63

attached the full list of bugs fixed in 3.8.1.

HTH,
c.

open_PDTywKVB.txt Download Attachment

Re: Octave 3.8.1 Released

Markus Bergholz

There is an unofficial installer for 3.8.1 http://mxeoctave.osuv.de

[...]

icq: 167498924
XMPP|Jabber: [hidden email]

Re: Octave 3.8.1 Released

José Luis García Pallero

> On 9 Mar 2014, at 05:41, John W. Eaton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 03/08/2014 01:04 AM, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
>>
>>> Why won't you post the list of changes between 3.8.0 and 3.8.1 in the release note ?
>>
>> Check out a copy of the sources from the mercurial archive and you can get a list of URLs for the bugs that were fixed by doing something like
>>
>>  hg log -b stable -r release-3-8-0:tip | sed -n 's,.*bug #\([^)]*\).*,https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?\1,p' | sort -u
>>
>> jwe
>
> The total number of bugs returne by this command is:
>
> $  hg log -b stable -r release-3-8-0:tip | sed -n 's,.*bug #\([^)]*\).*,https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?\1,p' | sort -u | wc -l
>       63
>
> attached the full list of bugs fixed in 3.8.1.

Mmmm, it seems to be an empty file

> HTH,
> c.

José Luis García Pallero
[hidden email]
(o<
/ / \
V_/_
Use Debian GNU/Linux and enjoy!

Re: Octave 3.8.1 Released

c.-2

On 9 Mar 2014, at 11:58, José Luis García Pallero <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Check out a copy of the sources from the mercurial archive and you can get a list of URLs for the bugs that were fixed by doing something like
>>>
>>> hg log -b stable -r release-3-8-0:tip | sed -n 's,.*bug #\([^)]*\).*,https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?\1,p' | sort -u
>>>
>>> jwe
>>
>> The total number of bugs returne by this command is:
>>
>> $  hg log -b stable -r release-3-8-0:tip | sed -n 's,.*bug #\([^)]*\).*,https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?\1,p' | sort -u | wc -l
>>      63
>>
>> attached the full list of bugs fixed in 3.8.1.
>
> Mmmm, it seems to be an empty file

here's the list of fixed bugs:

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?33217
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?36594
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?40751
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?40823
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?40825
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?40958
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?40980
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41024
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41045
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41048
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41053
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41054
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41062
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41065
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41067
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41078
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41081
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41085
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41087
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41091
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41108
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41116
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41126
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41139
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41145
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41159
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41163
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41201
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41209
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41212
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41213
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41227
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41230
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41233
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41236
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41258
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41260
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41280
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41281
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41296
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41332
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41335
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41364
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41386
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41396
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41415
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41430
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41448
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41464
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41466
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41496
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41505
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41531
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41535
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41547
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41569
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41581
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41627
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41641
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41648
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41756
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41757
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41773

Re: Re: Octave 3.8.1 Released

Sergei Steshenko

> On 03/08/2014 01:04 AM, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
>
>>  Why won't you post the list of changes between 3.8.0 and 3.8.1 in the
> release note ?
>
> Check out a copy of the sources from the mercurial archive and you can
> get a list of URLs for the bugs that were fixed by doing something like
>
>    hg log -b stable -r release-3-8-0:tip | sed -n 's,.*bug
> #\([^)]*\).*,https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?\1,p' | sort -u
>

> jwe

Yes, John, I know how to write code in several programming languages.

Still, if I read a _text_ message written in _human_ language, I want to get the needed info without any program.

Working for several companies in the industry I had to prepare release notes explicitly stating what has changed and for what reason.

A lot of things in the human world is described by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogo_%28comic_strip%29#.22We_have_met_the_enemy_and_he_is_us..22 - I mean a typical for FOSS zealots recommendation to read the code - the recommendation being issued to non-technical users. To run 'hg' is the same kind of recommendation.

And, by the way,

hg log -b stable -r release-3-8-0:tip | sed -n 's,.*bug  #\([^)]*\).*,https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?\1,p' | sort -u

was _not_ present in the release note. Which yet another time proves my point that the release note is useless other than the fact that 3.8.0 was replaced with 3.8.1.

Another issue - I do not use 'hg' revision/version control system and thus do not have it installed. So, in order to obtain a meaningful release info I first need to install a revision/version control system ?

Regards,
  Sergei.

Re: Octave 3.8.1 Released

tmacchant
--- On Sat, 2014/3/8, John W. Eaton wrote:

> [...]
> listed at http://octave.org/download.html as they become
> available.
>
> As always, many people contributed to this Octave release.  A complete
> list of contributors may be found in the Octave manual.
>

> About Octave:
>
> GNU Octave is a high-level interpreted language, primarily intended
> for numerical computations.  It provides capabilities for the
> numerical solution of linear and nonlinear problems and for
> performing other numerical experiments.  It also provides extensive
> graphics capabilities for data visualization and manipulation.  Octave
> is normally used through its interactive command line interface, but
> it can also be used to write non-interactive programs.  The Octave
> language is quite similar to Matlab so that most programs are easily
> portable.  A full description of Octave capabilities is available at

I have built octave-3.8.1 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (32 bit).
'make check' result was :

  system.tst ............................................. PASS   95/96   FAIL 1

  PASS     11538
  FAIL         1
  XFAIL        7

fntest.log for system.tst :
  ***** testif HAVE_GETPWUID
 x = getpwuid (getuid ());
 assert (x.dir, tilde_expand ("~"));
 assert (x.dir, tilde_expand (sprintf ("~%s", x.name)));
 assert ("foobar", tilde_expand ("foobar"));
!!!!! test failed
ASSERT errors for:  assert (x.dir,tilde_expand ("~"))

  Location  |  Observed  |  Expected  |  Reason
     []         /root     /home/tatsuromatsuoka       Strings don't match

Regards

Tatsuro

Re: Re: Octave 3.8.1 Released

nrjank
On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Sergei Steshenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

HI!!   Welcome to the world of free open source software!  So glad you
could join us!  First things first, allow me to point out how great it
is that you're willing to help out on this project! We're really
excited to hear that you volunteered to compile a Release Notes list
from the list of corrected bugs that was provided in the thread
yesterday by "c." !!!1! Since we recognize the time and effort that
goes into making a complex software package as useful as Octave in
your free time, I can only say 'wow', it's great to have people like
you here to pitch in with the little things that bring it all
together! Especially something that fits so perfectly with your real
world expertise!!!! I'm sure once you get started on it the others
will be happy to review with editing/formatting/etc comments to help
get it up to snuff! I just can't express enough how excited I'm sure
we all are to see this happen, and all the thanks go to you!!!

So, THANKS!

Nick J.

/feed

Re: Re: Octave 3.8.1 Released

Mike Miller
(trimmed the cc list)

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 14:56:48 -0700, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
> Working for several companies in the industry I had to prepare release
> notes explicitly stating what has changed and for what reason.

That is one possible way to prepare release notes, when the audience has
an interest or a customer requires such a document listing every
detailed change. GNU Octave has no such customer requirement.

Also note that the GNU Octave release announcement and its NEWS document
have never claimed to be "release notes" by your definition.

> Which yet another time proves my point that the release note is
> useless other than the fact that 3.8.0 was replaced with 3.8.1.

Not quite, there was one line in the 3.8.1 release announcement that was
not in the 3.8.0 announcement that you did not mention:

>> Version 3.8.1 is a bug fixing release.

No new features or large user-visible changes appear between 3.8.0 and
3.8.1, thus there is nothing suitable to mention in the NEWS file or in
the release announcement.

> Another issue - I do not use 'hg' revision/version control system and
> thus do not have it installed. So, in order to obtain a meaningful
> release info I first need to install a revision/version control
> system?

You can equally read the file "ChangeLog" which is always distributed
with the source release and lists every detailed change that was made as
part of the 3.8.1 release, and prior releases. I suspect this may be
closer to the level of detail you are looking for.

HTH,

Octave 3.8.2 released

The Octave developers are pleased to announce the release of
GNU Octave, version 3.8.2.

Version 3.8.2 is a bug fixing release.  The bugs fixed in this release
are listed at the end of this message.

[...]

The source code for Octave 3.8.2 is available for download at:

    http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave
    ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave

   -rw-r--r-- 1 3003 3002 17834980 Aug 13 16:12 octave-3.8.2.tar.bz2
   -rw-r--r-- 1 3003 3002 20859277 Aug 13 16:13 octave-3.8.2.tar.gz

   md5sum: 188bd97e22054f9c62701ee0e6800dc1  octave-3.8.2.tar.bz2
   md5sum: ed6ab54e5259a6e1ca7ece192026745a  octave-3.8.2.tar.gz

[...]

Bugs that have been fixed since the last release (info extracted from
the commit message summary lines; bug numbers are from the bug tracker
at http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=octave):

ls.m: Fix bug listing directories with spaces in name (bug #42920)

Don't require Qt 4.7 (bug #42657)

Fix compiling GUI on Alpha platforms (bug #42839)

Fix png check for image class in older GraphicsMagick (bug #42834)

Correct variable name in waitforbuttonpress docstring (bug #42768)

Stop mkoctfile process if any part of compilation or linking fails (bug
#42704)

Create octave.desktop files even when --disable-docs configured (bug #42720)

Don't deprecate java_get() and java_set() functions (bug #41239)

Better guess if rem or mod could be zero (bug #42627)

Improve accuracy of range/scalar arithmetic (bug #42589)

strread.m: Process string escapes on single quoted format (bug #42609)

strread.m: drop valid delimiters from format specifier list (bug #42609)

Check for name and type keyword to return as an octave ascii data file
(bug #42586)

Use gnulib log2 modules (bug #42583)

Return error code from sparse chol factorization (bug #42587)

Use button value 1 for mouse button keypress 1063 (bug #42489)

Correctly return 0 for empty matrices (bug #42563)

Allow loading mat5 files generated from R and Python (bug #42562)

Fix xticklabel with minor grid (bug #38139, bug #40256)

Only show directories in search directory dialog activated from files
browser

Fix typo in graphics.in.h (bug #42535).

Fix incorrect sparse matrix example code in oct-file chapter (bug #41799)

Fix binmap for sparse-scalar or scalar-sparse operations (bug #40813)

Fix infinite loop and segfault for atan2, fmod, hypot (bug #40813)

eigs: selection columns of V, not rows (bug #41795)

Fix regression in hist with multiple columns and normalization (bug #42394)

Fix regression in width of bars for hist() (bug #42401)

Fix segfault with sparse inputs to complex() (bug #42290)

don't crash on empty script files (bug #42064)

Fix assert() segfaults with profiler (bug #39587, bug #39586)

Fix blank line appearing in profiler output (bug #39524)

isaxes.m: Fix bug where some inputs do not show up in outputs (bug #42362)

Correctly follow legend interpreter property for gnuplot (bug #40064)

Fix extra backslash escape for gnuplot when interpreter=none (bug #36744)

Fix segfault if subsasgn in @class returns no output (bug #41945)

__gnuplot_get_var__.m: Fix accidental use of gcf causing figure popups
in waitbar (bug #41446)

spy.m: Use nnz, not numel, to avoid overflowing octave_idx_type (bug #42116)

Fix inverted colors when printing uint8/uint16 images (bug #42107)

force integer font metric in gui terminal (partial fix of bug #37187)

Correctly validate arguments to dot function (bug #42061)

interp1.m: fix function for inputs w/multiple discontinuities (bug #41980)

don't truncate when casting char to uintN values (bug #42054)

libqterminal: Initialize m_cursorBlinking value (bug #41814)

Set only 'axis tight' for image functions and Matlab compatibility (bug
#42043, bug #41886)

fminunc.m: Fix typo in header documentation (bug #42011)

Fix segmentation fault for interp2 and pchip method (bug #41838)

__makeinfo__: Process Texinfo docstrings without type conversion (bug
#41965)

provide better default for Mac keyboard layouts (bug #41337)

listdlg.m: return Octave value rather than Java int object (bug #41931)

textscan.m: Fix undefined whitespace error with empty format input (bug
#41824)

waitbar.m: Fix regression of plots openin in waitbar window (bug #41914)

Fix dead assignment in oct-rand.cc do_float_scalar (bug #41827)

info on experimental gui is displayed with vertical scroll bar (bug #41840)

imagesc.m: Fix regression causing imagesc to display with 'axis equal'
(bug #41886)

r1mach.f: Fix cut and paste errors (bug #32120)

Force non-native menu bar for the editor on mac (bug #41823)

Re: Octave 3.8.2 released

tmacchant

[...]

I have built octave 3.8.2 on Ubuntu 12.04LTS (64bit) (--enable-jit).

make check results are:

  PASS     11598
  FAIL         0
  XFAIL        7

jit test

octave:1> a = 1; b = 1; tic; for i=1:1000; for j=1:1000; a = a + b; end; end; toc
Elapsed time is 3.07835 seconds.
octave:2> jit_enable(1)
octave:3> a = 1; b = 1; tic; for i=1:1000; for j=1:1000; a = a + b; end; end; toc
Elapsed time is 0.014153 seconds.

Tatsuro

Re: Octave 3.8.2 released

Dmitri A. Sergatskov

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 11:31 PM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have built octave 3.8.2 on Ubuntu 12.04LTS (64bit) (--enable-jit).

make check results are:

​Which version of LLVM do you have?
I cannot compile wit hjit anabled on Fedora 20  (LLVM 3.4.6):

In file included from corefcn/pt-jit.cc:55:0:
/usr/include/llvm/PassManager.h:34:15: error: 'PassManager' is already declared in this scope
 using legacy::PassManager;
               ^
/usr/include/llvm/PassManager.h:35:15: error: 'FunctionPassManager' is already declared in this scope
 using legacy::FunctionPassManager;
               ^
corefcn/pt-jit.cc: In member function 'bool tree_jit::initialize()':
corefcn/pt-jit.cc:1891:23: error: cannot convert 'llvm::legacy::PassManager*' to 'llvm::PassManager*' in assignment
   module_pass_manager = new llvm::PassManager ();

​(etc...)

Tatsuro

​Dmitri.

Re: Octave 3.8.2 released

tmacchant

--
To my knowledge, Octave-3.8 does not support llvm-3.4. I am using llvm-3.2 built myself. Perhaps, llvm-3.3 is OK for Octave-3.8 though I have not tested yet.
The develepment version octave perhaps supports llvm-3.4. Perhaps much experienced persons will give the correct replies.

Tatsuro

Re: Octave 3.8.2 released

Terry Duell
On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 15:20:13 +1000, Dmitri A. Sergatskov
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 11:31 PM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA
> <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> I have built octave 3.8.2 on Ubuntu 12.04LTS (64bit) (--enable-jit).
>>
>> make check results are:
>>

> ​Which version of LLVM do you have?
> I cannot compile wit hjit anabled on Fedora 20  (LLVM 3.4.6):

I note that the Fedora packagers have (in the last couple of days) had a
couple of failed attempts to build 3.8.2 for F21 and F22.
I am waiting until they succeed with that then I'll try to rebuild their
src.rpm in mock.
The only way I managed to build 3.8.1 on F20 was to rebuild from the F21
src.rpm in mock and that had jit disabled in the .spec file...which
suggests it is a problem to build with jit on F21.

Cheers,
Terry Duell

Re: Octave 3.8.2 released

Michael Godfrey
You need the attached patch. I thought that it might be in the release, but
obviously not.

Michael

llvm-3.4-3.5pre.patch (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Octave 3.8.2 released

tmacchant

Re: Octave 3.8.2 released

tmacchant

> [...]
> In file included from
> ../../octave-3.8.2-1/libinterp/corefcn/jit-typeinfo.h:34:0,
>                  from ../../octave-3.8.2-1/libinterp/corefcn/jit-ir.h:34,
>                  from ../../octave-3.8.2-1/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.h:30,
>                  from ../../octave-3.8.2-1/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:36:
> ../../octave-3.8.2-1/libinterp/corefcn/jit-util.h:51:9: error: forward
> declaration of 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
>    class FunctionPassManager;
>          ^
> make[3]: *** [corefcn/corefcn_libcorefcn_la-pt-jit.lo] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/home/tatsuromatsuoka/work/Octave/build-3.8.2-1/libinterp'
> make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/tatsuromatsuoka/work/Octave/build-3.8.2-1/libinterp'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tatsuromatsuoka/work/Octave/build-3.8.2-1'

I have tried the development source checked out today.
(Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit)

LLVM-3.4.2 is used.

Configure is done by the following:
PATH=$PATH:/opt/clang+llvm-3.4.2/bin ../octave/configure --enable-jit --prefix=/opt/octave-dev \
LLVM_CONFIG=/opt/clang+llvm-3.4.2/bin/llvm-config \
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/mpi -DMPICH_SKIP_MPICXX -DOMPI_SKIP_MPICXX"

The almost same error appeared at "make":

/bin/bash ../libtool  --tag=CXX   --mode=compile g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../octave/libinterp -I..  -I../../octave/liboctave/cruft/misc -I../../octave/liboctave/array -I../liboctave/numeric -I../../octave/liboctave/numeric -I../liboctave/operators -I../../octave/liboctave/operators -I../../octave/liboctave/system -I../../octave/liboctave/util -I../../octave/libinterp/octave-value -I../../octave/libinterp/operators -Iparse-tree -I../../octave/libinterp/parse-tree -Icorefcn -I../../octave/libinterp/corefcn -I../libgnu -I../../octave/libgnu   -I/usr/include/freetype2   -I/usr/include/freetype2    -isystem /opt/clang+llvm-3.4.2/include -I/usr/include/mpi -DMPICH_SKIP_MPICXX -DOMPI_SKIP_MPICXX  -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wold-style-cast -Wformat -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Wcast-align -Wcast-qual  -g -O2 -pthread -MT corefcn/corefcn_libcorefcn_la-pt-jit.lo -MD -MP -MF corefcn/.deps/corefcn_libcorefcn_la-pt-jit.Tpo -c -o
 corefcn/corefcn_libcorefcn_la-pt-jit.lo `test -f 'corefcn/pt-jit.cc' || echo '../../octave/libinterp/'`corefcn/pt-jit.cc
libtool: compile:  g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../octave/libinterp -I.. -I../../octave/liboctave/cruft/misc -I../../octave/liboctave/array -I../liboctave/numeric -I../../octave/liboctave/numeric -I../liboctave/operators -I../../octave/liboctave/operators -I../../octave/liboctave/system -I../../octave/liboctave/util -I../../octave/libinterp/octave-value -I../../octave/libinterp/operators -Iparse-tree -I../../octave/libinterp/parse-tree -Icorefcn -I../../octave/libinterp/corefcn -I../libgnu -I../../octave/libgnu -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -isystem /opt/clang+llvm-3.4.2/include -I/usr/include/mpi -DMPICH_SKIP_MPICXX -DOMPI_SKIP_MPICXX -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wold-style-cast -Wformat -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Wcast-align -Wcast-qual -g -O2 -pthread -MT corefcn/corefcn_libcorefcn_la-pt-jit.lo -MD -MP -MF corefcn/.deps/corefcn_libcorefcn_la-pt-jit.Tpo -c ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc  -fPIC -DPIC -o
 corefcn/.libs/corefcn_libcorefcn_la-pt-jit.o
In file included from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:67:0:
/opt/clang+llvm-3.4.2/include/llvm/PassManager.h:34:15: error: 'PassManager' is already declared in this scope
 using legacy::PassManager;
               ^
/opt/clang+llvm-3.4.2/include/llvm/PassManager.h:35:15: error: 'FunctionPassManager' is already declared in this scope
 using legacy::FunctionPassManager;
               ^
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc: In member function 'bool tree_jit::initialize()':
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:2071:23: error: cannot convert 'llvm::legacy::PassManager*' to 'llvm::PassManager*' in assignment
   module_pass_manager = new llvm::PassManager ();
                       ^
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:2072:16: error: cannot convert 'llvm::legacy::FunctionPassManager*' to 'llvm::FunctionPassManager*' in assignment
   pass_manager = new llvm::FunctionPassManager (module);
                ^
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:2074:22: error: invalid use of incomplete type 'class llvm::PassManager'
   module_pass_manager->add (llvm::createAlwaysInlinerPass ());
                      ^
In file included from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-typeinfo.h:34:0,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-ir.h:34,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.h:30,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:36:
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-util.h:52:9: error: forward declaration of 'class llvm::PassManager'
   class PassManager;
         ^
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:2077:15: error: invalid use of incomplete type 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   pass_manager->add (new llvm::DataLayout (*engine->getDataLayout ()));
               ^
In file included from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-typeinfo.h:34:0,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-ir.h:34,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.h:30,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:36:
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-util.h:51:9: error: forward declaration of 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   class FunctionPassManager;
         ^
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:2081:15: error: invalid use of incomplete type 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   pass_manager->add (llvm::createCFGSimplificationPass ());
               ^
In file included from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-typeinfo.h:34:0,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-ir.h:34,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.h:30,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:36:
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-util.h:51:9: error: forward declaration of 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   class FunctionPassManager;
         ^
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:2082:15: error: invalid use of incomplete type 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   pass_manager->add (llvm::createBasicAliasAnalysisPass ());
               ^
In file included from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-typeinfo.h:34:0,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-ir.h:34,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.h:30,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:36:
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-util.h:51:9: error: forward declaration of 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   class FunctionPassManager;
         ^
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:2083:15: error: invalid use of incomplete type 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   pass_manager->add (llvm::createPromoteMemoryToRegisterPass ());
               ^
In file included from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-typeinfo.h:34:0,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-ir.h:34,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.h:30,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:36:
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-util.h:51:9: error: forward declaration of 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   class FunctionPassManager;
         ^
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:2084:15: error: invalid use of incomplete type 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   pass_manager->add (llvm::createInstructionCombiningPass ());
               ^
In file included from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-typeinfo.h:34:0,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-ir.h:34,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.h:30,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:36:
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-util.h:51:9: error: forward declaration of 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   class FunctionPassManager;
         ^
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:2085:15: error: invalid use of incomplete type 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   pass_manager->add (llvm::createReassociatePass ());
               ^
In file included from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-typeinfo.h:34:0,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-ir.h:34,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.h:30,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:36:
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-util.h:51:9: error: forward declaration of 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   class FunctionPassManager;
         ^
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:2086:15: error: invalid use of incomplete type 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   pass_manager->add (llvm::createGVNPass ());
               ^
In file included from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-typeinfo.h:34:0,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-ir.h:34,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.h:30,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:36:
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-util.h:51:9: error: forward declaration of 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   class FunctionPassManager;
         ^
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:2087:15: error: invalid use of incomplete type 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   pass_manager->add (llvm::createCFGSimplificationPass ());
               ^
In file included from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-typeinfo.h:34:0,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-ir.h:34,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.h:30,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:36:
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-util.h:51:9: error: forward declaration of 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   class FunctionPassManager;
         ^
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:2088:15: error: invalid use of incomplete type 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   pass_manager->doInitialization ();
               ^
In file included from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-typeinfo.h:34:0,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-ir.h:34,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.h:30,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:36:
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-util.h:51:9: error: forward declaration of 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   class FunctionPassManager;
         ^
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc: In member function 'void tree_jit::optimize(llvm::Function*)':
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:2184:22: error: invalid use of incomplete type 'class llvm::PassManager'
   module_pass_manager->run (*module);
                      ^
In file included from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-typeinfo.h:34:0,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-ir.h:34,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.h:30,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:36:
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-util.h:52:9: error: forward declaration of 'class llvm::PassManager'
   class PassManager;
         ^
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:2185:15: error: invalid use of incomplete type 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   pass_manager->run (*fn);
               ^
In file included from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-typeinfo.h:34:0,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-ir.h:34,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.h:30,
                 from ../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/pt-jit.cc:36:
../../octave/libinterp/corefcn/jit-util.h:51:9: error: forward declaration of 'class llvm::FunctionPassManager'
   class FunctionPassManager;
         ^
make[3]: *** [corefcn/corefcn_libcorefcn_la-pt-jit.lo] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/tatsuromatsuoka/work/Octave/develop/build/libinterp'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/tatsuromatsuoka/work/Octave/develop/build/libinterp'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tatsuromatsuoka/work/Octave/develop/build'
make: *** [all] Error 2

So the patch is not wrong. Perhaps something is wrong for my configration for llvm-3.4.2.

Tatsuro

12