Octave-3.8.2 problems with gui documentation tab

Octave-3.8.2 problems with gui documentation tab

Terry Duell
Hello All,
I'm not sure if I have a local problem or am seeing a bug. I have snooped
through the bug list but may have missed it.
I have built octave-3.8.2 on Fedora 20 x86_64, by rebuilding
octave-3.8.2-4.el7.src.rpm in mock using rpmbuild.
If I select the documentation tab in the gui it displays all the section
headings but none are selectable and the whole gui locks up, and a forced
quit is required.
Any other Fedora 20 users, or others, seen this behaviour, or can advise
if it is a known bug?

Cheers,
Terry Duell

Re: Octave-3.8.2 problems with gui documentation tab

Mike Miller
On Tue, Oct 07, 2014 at 21:05:36 +1100, Terry Duell wrote:

> Hello All,
> I'm not sure if I have a local problem or am seeing a bug. I have snooped
> through the bug list but may have missed it.
> I have built octave-3.8.2 on Fedora 20 x86_64, by rebuilding
> octave-3.8.2-4.el7.src.rpm in mock using rpmbuild.
> If I select the documentation tab in the gui it displays all the section
> headings but none are selectable and the whole gui locks up, and a forced
> quit is required.
> Any other Fedora 20 users, or others, seen this behaviour, or can advise if
> it is a known bug?

Hi Terry, this is a known bug due to distributions compressing the
Texinfo files. Please see bug #38305 (which has an arcane description
but is the underlying cause) [1]. Short of fixing that bug, the only
workaround for now is to uncompress the info files.

[1] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?38305

Re: Octave-3.8.2 problems with gui documentation tab

Terry Duell
Hello Mike,

On Wed, 08 Oct 2014 00:33:49 +1100, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

[snip]

> Hi Terry, this is a known bug due to distributions compressing the
> Texinfo files. Please see bug #38305 (which has an arcane description
> but is the underlying cause) [1]. Short of fixing that bug, the only
> workaround for now is to uncompress the info files.
>
> [1] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?38305

A follow up on this, if I may.
Looking at the content of my rpm, I find files like "octave.info.gz",
"octave.info-1.gz" etc, that are packaged in /usr/share/info. Are these
the files that need to be uncompressed, or am I looking in the wrong place?

On Wed, Oct 08, 2014 at 08:04:46 +1100, Terry Duell wrote:
> A follow up on this, if I may.
> Looking at the content of my rpm, I find files like "octave.info.gz",
> "octave.info-1.gz" etc, that are packaged in /usr/share/info. Are these the
> files that need to be uncompressed, or am I looking in the wrong place?

Yes, those are the files.

On Wed, 08 Oct 2014 13:16:45 +1100, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 08, 2014 at 08:04:46 +1100, Terry Duell wrote:
>> A follow up on this, if I may.
>> Looking at the content of my rpm, I find files like "octave.info.gz",
>> "octave.info-1.gz" etc, that are packaged in /usr/share/info. Are these
>> the
>> files that need to be uncompressed, or am I looking in the wrong place?
>
> Yes, those are the files.

Thanks.
I have uncompressed them and the problem now appears to be solved.

Cheers,
Terry Duell