Octave 4.0.0 now in Homebrew

John Swensen-3
I thought someone might want to update websites to indicate that Homebrew now has Octave 4.0.0 in homebrew/science. I found it via Google search at
although I had to reinstall it with the GUI option enabled (it doesn’t build it with GUI support by default)
brew reinstall octave --with-qt --with-fltk --with-gui

As a side note, I noticed that Comic Sans is the default font for comments in the Octave GUI editor. Was this intentional as a joke? I realize that some of the Comic Sans hate in the world is semi-irrational (http://www.comicsanscriminal.com/), but because it does elicit such a visceral response in many people, maybe we should consider a different font as the default?

John S.

Re: Octave 4.0.0 now in Homebrew

John Swensen-3

On Sep 15, 2015, at 8:42 AM, John Swensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

I thought someone might want to update websites to indicate that Homebrew now has Octave 4.0.0 in homebrew/science. I found it via Google search at
although I had to reinstall it with the GUI option enabled (it doesn’t build it with GUI support by default)
brew reinstall octave --with-qt --with-fltk --with-gui

As a side note, I noticed that Comic Sans is the default font for comments in the Octave GUI editor. Was this intentional as a joke? I realize that some of the Comic Sans hate in the world is semi-irrational (http://www.comicsanscriminal.com/), but because it does elicit such a visceral response in many people, maybe we should consider a different font as the default?

John S.

I should amend this a little. I went and looked at the default-qt-settings.in file and couldn’t see it setting fonts to anything other than __default_font__ (which in turn was set to default_family = “Courier”), so I am not quite sure where the Comic Sans came from. I have never had the GUI installed on this machine, and I am one of those Comic Sans disparagers so I wouldn’t have ever consciously set any font in my system to that.

John S.

Re: Octave 4.0.0 now in Homebrew

Sebastian Schöps
John Swensen-3 wrote
> I thought someone might want to update websites to indicate that Homebrew now has Octave 4.0.0 in homebrew/science. I found it via Google search at
this was also announced here: http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-for-Mac-OSX-td4672449.html#a4672457. However, I agree that the wiki page should be updated. I will try to do that next week during octconf. Maybe I can even supply a binary distribution based on homebrew.

John Swensen-3 wrote
> although I had to reinstall it with the GUI option enabled (it doesn’t build it with GUI support by default)
> > brew reinstall octave --with-qt --with-fltk --with-gui
the gui is disabled by default because there are sometimes strange issues that we could not debug easily, e.g., I do not see comic sans on my macbook but Octave crashes here when dragging windows.