Octave 5.1.0 installation in silent mode hangs at the end of install

Octave 5.1.0 installation in silent mode hangs at the end of install

clefebvre.62
Hi,

We are experiencing a strange issue to install Octave 5.1.0 in silent mode :

  • The installation works properly manually with the graphical installer.
  • In silent mode, the installation hangs at the end of installation (see below) and it never finish (but Octave is installed as I can launch Octave).
  • So, I have scripted the installation with the graphical installer with autohotkey and also, the installation hangs at the end of the installation (but Octave is installed as I can launch Octave).
    So, it seems to be an issue using the command-line to install the software.
    Do you have had already a such issue? Or any idea?
  • You can see the issue directly on this video of another Chocolatey maintainer, experiencing this issue from the 33" minutehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aecDukZETUE
  • There are a few thousand of packages in the Chocolatey package repository (Chocolatey is a package manager for Windows) and It seems it's the first time this issue is encountered with an installer.
(...)
Hashes match.
Command ['C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\helpers\..\tools\checksum.exe' -c="9F80C37BAF041BD741C2660E7E5E12AFBD19DAAB7E59AABA96288E630282122B" -t="sha256" -f="C:\*****\Temp\chocolatey_cache\octave.install\5.1.0\octave-5.1.0-w64-installer.exe"] exited with '0'.
Running Install-ChocolateyInstallPackage -packageName 'octave.install' -fileType 'exe' -silentArgs '' -file 'C:\*****\Temp\chocolatey_cache\octave.install\5.1.0\octave-5.1.0-w64-installer.exe' -validExitCodes '0' -useOnlyPackageSilentArguments 'False'
Running Get-ProcessorBits -compare '32'
Installing octave.install...
Running Start-ChocolateyProcessAsAdmin -validExitCodes '0' -workingDirectory 'C:\*****\Temp\chocolatey_cache\octave.install\5.1.0' -statements ' ' -exeToRun 'C:\*****\Temp\chocolatey_cache\octave.install\5.1.0\octave-5.1.0-w64-installer.exe'
Test-ProcessAdminRights: returning True
Elevating permissions and running ["C:\*****\Temp\chocolatey_cache\octave.install\5.1.0\octave-5.1.0-w64
Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Octave 5.1.0 installation in silent mode hangs at the end of install

Andreas Weber-6
Am 08.05.19 um 11:48 schrieb [hidden email]:
>   * In silent mode, the installation hangs at the end of installation
>     So, it seems to be an issue using the command-line to install the
>     software.

Can you create a complete example which can be used to reproduce this
without "Chocolatey". Can you reproduce this with cmd.exe?

>   * You can see the issue directly on this video of another Chocolatey
>     maintainer, experiencing this issue*from the 33" minute*:

One of the last steps in the installer is to build the fontconfig cache
which might take up to 10min
(https://hg.octave.org/mxe-octave/file/tip/installer-files/fc_update.bat).

Btw, why are you using the nsis-installer? If you have your own package
manager you can download the portable version and create the links and
so on under your own hood.

-- Andy

Re: Octave 5.1.0 installation in silent mode hangs at the end of install

clefebvre.62
Hi Andy,

It's also hangs outside Chocolatey:

start-process -FilePath .\octave-5.1.0-w64-installer.exe -ArgumentList "/S" -Wait

This process is not yet finished after 15 minutes.

A lot of Chocolatey packages are available in install and portable versions. It's interesting to know why this binary can be installed in this way.

Thanks in advance,

Christophe

Re: Octave 5.1.0 installation in silent mode hangs at the end of install

tmacchant
>start-process -FilePath .\octave-5.1.0-w64-installer.exe -ArgumentList "/S" -Wait
>This process is not yet finished after 15 minutes.
>

>A lot of Chocolatey packages are available in install and portable versions. It's interesting to know why this binary can be installed in this way.
>

>Thanks in advance,
>Christophe

If you install portable version, why do you not use zip or 7z archive version and execute post-install.bat.

Tatsuro

Re: Octave 5.1.0 installation in silent mode hangs at the end of install

clefebvre.62
Hi,

I have find why octave installer hangs when called by a package manager.

post-install.bat calls "%MSYSDIR%\bin\bash.exe --login -c echo" and so, it's something like the opening of a subsystem doesn't return a code.

Is it possible to check if this call is really needed or if it can be launched in background with a command like "startcmd"?

Thanks in advance,
Christophe