Octave 5.1 and 5.2 crashing on Windows 10

Octave 5.1 and 5.2 crashing on Windows 10

John Frain
Has any other user detected the following problem or perhaps know of a solution?

I am running Windows 10 1909 64-bit.

I have been using Octave in Windows (and Linux) for many years with great success.  When I tried to start octave 5.1 using the a white screen appeared with the octave icon and the word octave on the top left-hand corner of the screen and it crashed immediately. the cli version continued to work.

I decided to update to 5.2 and downloaded octave-5.2.0_1-w64-installer.exe and installed. When the install was finished the readme was displayed but the gui version of octave did not start or had crashed before I closed the readme file. The cli version of octave worked as expected

I have since installed today's windows update - previous updates had been installed.  I have uninstalled both versions of octave and reinstalled 5.2.  (5.2 several times).

There are a lot of applications on this PC e.g. R, Rstudio, Maxima, Libre Office, Gretl, Texstudio, Tex-Live, Anaconda,  etc. etc.  All of these work perfectly.  Any of the versions of the octave program when run in a console window with or without gui or force-gui options default to the cli version.  Emacs octave mode works fine.

The windows event viewer gives the following error message.  It is strange that octave alone picks out the problem with the dntdll.dll file.

Faulting application name: octave-gui.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.18362.657, time stamp: 0x64d10ee0
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000f92a9
Faulting process id: 0x22ac
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5ed84236f5f57
Faulting application path: C:\Octave\OCTAVE~2.0\mingw64\bin\octave-gui.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 4f945789-a789-4d34-8dc9-45ec135e357e
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

John C Frain, Ph.D.

Economics Department             3 Aranleigh Park
Trinity College Dublin                 Rathfarnham
College Green                           Dublin 14
Dublin 2                                    Ireland
Ireland

Re: Octave 5.1 and 5.2 crashing on Windows 10

siko1056
On 2/28/20 7:19 AM, John Frain wrote:

> Has any other user detected the following problem or perhaps know of a
> solution?
>
> I am running Windows 10 1909 64-bit.
>
> I have been using Octave in Windows (and Linux) for many years with
> great success.  When I tried to start octave 5.1 using the a white
> screen appeared with the octave icon and the word octave on the top
> left-hand corner of the screen and it crashed immediately. the cli
> version continued to work.
>
> I decided to update to 5.2 and downloaded
> octave-5.2.0_1-w64-installer.exe and installed. When the install was
> finished the readme was displayed but the gui version of octave did not
> start or had crashed before I closed the readme file. The cli version of
> octave worked as expected
>
> I have since installed today's windows update - previous updates had
> been installed.  I have uninstalled both versions of octave and
> reinstalled 5.2.  (5.2 several times).
>
> There are a lot of applications on this PC e.g. R, Rstudio, Maxima,
> Libre Office, Gretl, Texstudio, Tex-Live, Anaconda,  etc. etc.  All of
> these work perfectly.  Any of the versions of the octave program when
> run in a console window with or without gui or force-gui options default
> to the cli version.  Emacs octave mode works fine.
>
> The windows event viewer gives the following error message.  It is
> strange that octave alone picks out the problem with the dntdll.dll file.
>
> Faulting application name: octave-gui.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp:
> 0x00000000
> Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.18362.657, time stamp:
> 0x64d10ee0
> Exception code: 0xc0000374
> Fault offset: 0x00000000000f92a9
> Faulting process id: 0x22ac
> Faulting application start time: 0x01d5ed84236f5f57
> Faulting application path: C:\Octave\OCTAVE~2.0\mingw64\bin\octave-gui.exe
> Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
> Report Id: 4f945789-a789-4d34-8dc9-45ec135e357e
> Faulting package full name:
> Faulting package-relative application ID:
>
> John C Frain, Ph.D.
>
> Economics Department             3 Aranleigh Park
> Trinity College Dublin                 Rathfarnham
> College Green                           Dublin 14
> Dublin 2                                    Ireland
> Ireland
> www.tcd.ie/Economics/staff/frainj/home.htm
> <http://www.tcd.ie/Economics/staff/frainj/home.htm>
> mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Did you use Octave 5.1 GUI until that day when you saw a white screen
only?  Or did you use an older version of Octave before?

An often occurring problem are stale config files, when having installed
older versions of Octave on the same MS Windows system before.

Did you try to remove the folder

   C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\.config\octave

before starting Octave?

HTH,
Kai

On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 at 03:28, Kai Torben Ohlhus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 2/28/20 7:19 AM, John Frain wrote:
> Has any other user detected the following problem or perhaps know of a
> solution?
>
> I am running Windows 10 1909 64-bit.
>
> I have been using Octave in Windows (and Linux) for many years with
> great success.  When I tried to start octave 5.1 using the a white
> screen appeared with the octave icon and the word octave on the top
> left-hand corner of the screen and it crashed immediately. the cli
> version continued to work.
>
> I decided to update to 5.2 and downloaded
> octave-5.2.0_1-w64-installer.exe and installed. When the install was
> finished the readme was displayed but the gui version of octave did not
> start or had crashed before I closed the readme file. The cli version of
> octave worked as expected
>
> I have since installed today's windows update - previous updates had
> been installed.  I have uninstalled both versions of octave and
> reinstalled 5.2.  (5.2 several times).
>
> There are a lot of applications on this PC e.g. R, Rstudio, Maxima,
> Libre Office, Gretl, Texstudio, Tex-Live, Anaconda,  etc. etc.  All of
> these work perfectly.  Any of the versions of the octave program when
> run in a console window with or without gui or force-gui options default
> to the cli version.  Emacs octave mode works fine.
>
> The windows event viewer gives the following error message.  It is
> strange that octave alone picks out the problem with the dntdll.dll file.
>
> Faulting application name: octave-gui.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp:
> 0x00000000
> Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.18362.657, time stamp:
> 0x64d10ee0
> Exception code: 0xc0000374
> Fault offset: 0x00000000000f92a9
> Faulting process id: 0x22ac
> Faulting application start time: 0x01d5ed84236f5f57
> Faulting application path: C:\Octave\OCTAVE~2.0\mingw64\bin\octave-gui.exe
> Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
> Report Id: 4f945789-a789-4d34-8dc9-45ec135e357e
> Faulting package full name:
> Faulting package-relative application ID:
>
> John C Frain, Ph.D.
>
> Economics Department             3 Aranleigh Park
> Trinity College Dublin                 Rathfarnham
> College Green                           Dublin 14
> Dublin 2                                    Ireland
> Ireland
> www.tcd.ie/Economics/staff/frainj/home.htm
> <http://www.tcd.ie/Economics/staff/frainj/home.htm>
> mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Did you use Octave 5.1 GUI until that day when you saw a white screen
only?  Or did you use an older version of Octave before?

I think that Octave 5.1 was running on the PC some weeks ago.
I have again uninstalled Octave, deleted the folder and reinstalled Octave. but this does not solve the problem.
If I delete the folder and start the desktop octave icon I get
   1. the welcome to octave screen,
   2. The Community News screen
   3 The Enjoy screen,
Next, a plain white screen in the upper left-hand corner of the screen which vanishes very quickly and octave does not now start.

I have in the last few minutes tried to start Octave gui from the desktop icon about 20 times.  On two occasions the gui appeared and almost immediately crashed.  On the remaining occasions, just the blank screen appeared with a suggestion of a flicker on a few occasions.  Is it possible that the gui is starting and closing before it can be read on the screen?

I have run dism and SFC/scannow to check system files and no corrupt system files were found.

I have installed Scite 4.3.0 (scintilla based editor) and it runs ok.

 I suspect that either the Windows 10 update to 1909 or some other update that I have installed may have caused some kind of conflict. It would be interesting to hear if other users of windows 10 1909 with current updates have or have not encountered problems.

An often occurring problem are stale config files, when having installed
older versions of Octave on the same MS Windows system before.

Did you try to remove the folder

   C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\.config\octave

before starting Octave?

HTH,
Kai

Re: Octave 5.1 and 5.2 crashing on Windows 10

nrjank
On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 4:54 PM John Frain <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 at 03:28, Kai Torben Ohlhus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 2/28/20 7:19 AM, John Frain wrote:
> Has any other user detected the following problem or perhaps know of a
> solution?
>
> I am running Windows 10 1909 64-bit.
>
> I have been using Octave in Windows (and Linux) for many years with
> great success.  When I tried to start octave 5.1 using the a white
> screen appeared with the octave icon and the word octave on the top
> left-hand corner of the screen and it crashed immediately. the cli
> version continued to work.

curious, have you tried the zip packages instead of the installer? It shouldn't make much of a difference, but at this point maybe worth trying. what about an older version than 5.1?

Re: Octave 5.1 and 5.2 crashing on Windows 10

Torsten Lilge-2
On Fri, 2020-02-28 at 21:51 +0000, John Frain wrote:

> [...]
> almost immediately crashed.  On the remaining occasions, just the
> blank screen appeared with a suggestion of a flicker on a few
> occasions.  Is it possible that the gui is starting and closing before
> it can be read on the screen?
>
> I have run dism and SFC/scannow to check system files and no corrupt
> system files were found.
>
> I have installed Scite 4.3.0 (scintilla based editor) and it runs ok.
>
>  I suspect that either the Windows 10 update to 1909 or some other
> update that I have installed may have caused some kind of conflict. It
> would be interesting to hear if other users of windows 10 1909 with
> current updates have or have not encountered problems.
>
> > An often occurring problem are stale config files, when having
> > installed
> > older versions of Octave on the same MS Windows system before.

When you see the welcome screen, the old config files where definitely
removed. Do you have some special commands in .octaverc?

Torsten

Re: Octave 5.1 and 5.2 crashing on Windows 10

DigitalHermit
On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 4:20 PM John Frain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has any other user detected the following problem or perhaps know of a solution?
>
> I am running Windows 10 1909 64-bit.

I just tested this also on a brand new Windows 10 1909/64-bit system.
Just took it out of the box today.

Octave installed without error (except for a note about missing Java).
On launch, I get the following errors:

"Could not copy help collection to temporary file. Search capabilities
may be affected. Cannot load sqlite database driver."

Clicking OK brings up another error:

"Could not setup the data required for the documentation viewer. Only
help texts in the Command Window will be available."

Basic functionality seemed to be there and I could define a couple
arrays and do a "Hello, World" test. Unfortunately, it sort of
degenerated from this point (not Octave's fault though). I tried
installing Python from the Windows store but it failed with and error.
"Code: 0x80070005" was all it said.

--
"Don't be lazy. Do the thing. Do it properly."  - Simone Giertz

[...]

is the following file located on your PC, or is it missing:
(assuming you installed to C:\Octave)

C:\Octave\octave-5.2.0-w64\mingw64\bin\libsqlite3-0.dll

I get the same errors on my pc that is missing the above file.  That file is missing on mine because currently the libsqlite3-0.dll is being misidentified as a malware/trogan file by a number of antivirus software, and my McAfee deleted it. I'd be surprised that your security software would delete or quarantine the file without a notice, though.  Anyway, see:

and recent discussions:

while we are trying to get companies to whitelist the program, it's a manual request process we have little to no control over. In my case reverting back to v5.1.0 worked had no problem.  Actually, the problem is with v 5.2.0_1.  5.2.0 gives me no problem.

But you get the same issue with 5.1.0?

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 11:09 PM Nicholas Jankowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> is the following file located on your PC, or is it missing:
> (assuming you installed to C:\Octave)
>
> C:\Octave\octave-5.2.0-w64\mingw64\bin\libsqlite3-0.dll

This file is missing. I checked the McAfee which had reported that a
file was quarantined, but I couldn't find actual logs that say file
specifically.

> But you get the same issue with 5.1.0?

I haven't tried 5.1.0 yet on Windows.

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 12:32 AM Kwan Lowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 11:09 PM Nicholas Jankowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> is the following file located on your PC, or is it missing:
> (assuming you installed to C:\Octave)
>
> C:\Octave\octave-5.2.0-w64\mingw64\bin\libsqlite3-0.dll

This file is missing. I checked the McAfee which had reported that a
file was quarantined, but I couldn't find actual logs that say file
specifically.

> But you get the same issue with 5.1.0?

I haven't tried 5.1.0 yet on Windows.

ok. that's what I thought. I don't know how your logging is setup, but I suspect it was deleted or prevented from copying during installation.  you could verify by using one of the zip packages.  it will either catch the file when you try to extract it, or the first time it's accessed (when starting the GUI for the first time).

as I've experienced, you should still be able to run the CLI version fine.  v5.1.0 should still run fine as GUI.  (actually, v5.2.0 might still be fine, just not v5.2.0_1)

My guess is we'll have version 6 released before these false positives stop. So you may just need to go with another version until then.

On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 at 22:01, Torsten Lilge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> system files were found.
>
> I have installed Scite 4.3.0 (scintilla based editor) and it runs ok.
>
>  I suspect that either the Windows 10 update to 1909 or some other
> update that I have installed may have caused some kind of conflict. It
> would be interesting to hear if other users of windows 10 1909 with
> current updates have or have not encountered problems.

> > An often occurring problem are stale config files, when having
> > installed
> > older versions of Octave on the same MS Windows system before.
> >
> > Did you try to remove the folder
> >
> >    C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\.config\octave
> >
> > before starting Octave?
> >
> > HTH,
> > Kai

When you see the welcome screen, the old config files where definitely
removed. Do you have some special commands in .octaverc?

A great thank you to all who have made suggestions.  I have tried 4.0, 4.4.1, 5.1 and 5.5, some of the zip files, with and without my .octaverc  file and the GUI fails to appear or crashes immediately in all cases.  I have installed 5.2 on another laptop which I first updated to have the same version of Windows 10 and Windows updates as mine.  Octave 5.2 works on that machine.  Thus it is likely that the problem is caused by some conflict with some other software or hardware on my laptop.  I can run flatpak octave 5.2 or octave 4.2 on mint 19.3 on another PC.   On my Windows 10 PC, the CLI version worked in all installs.  I can, therefore, use CLI mode in Windows 10 or Octave mode in Emacs which also works.

On Sat, 29 Feb 2020 at 22:30, John Frain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

removed. Do you have some special commands in .octaverc?

Torsten

A great thank you to all who have made suggestions.  I have tried 4.0, 4.4.1, 5.1 and 5.5, some of the zip files, with and without my .octaverc  file and the GUI fails to appear or crashes immediately in all cases.  I have installed 5.2 on another laptop which I first updated to have the same version of Windows 10 and Windows updates as mine.  Octave 5.2 works on that machine.  Thus it is likely that the problem is caused by some conflict with some other software or hardware on my laptop.  I can run flatpak octave 5.2 or octave 4.2 on mint 19.3 on another PC.   On my Windows 10 PC, the CLI version worked in all installs.  I can, therefore, use CLI mode in Windows 10 or Octave mode in Emacs which also works.

For what it is worth, I loaded Windows 10 in safe mode and in safe mode with network.  GUI octave worked on both occasions.  It still does not work in standard Windows 10.  I now presume that there is a conflict with some device driver on the system.  If I get any other diagnosis I will report.

John

On Fri, 6 Mar 2020 at 23:55, John Frain <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Wonder of Wonders.  I clicked on my Octave 5.2 GUI this evening and it is working as expected.  It was not working the last time I tried.  I have updated some programs (Emacs, Tex-live, Mathematica and various windows updates have been installed.  The only explanation that I can propose is that windows update has updated something on this PC.  But why has no one else had the problem?  Thank you to all who offered suggestions.