Octave 6.0.90 release candidate Octave.app build

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Octave 6.0.90 release candidate Octave.app build

apjanke-floss
Hi folks,

I've put together an Octave.app build of the Octave 6.0.90 release
candidate, if anyone would like a convenient way of testing this out on Mac.

https://github.com/octave-app/octave-app/releases/tag/v6.0.90-rc1

Requires macOS 10.14 or later (because I'm getting build errors on 10.13).

This build is done against the newish Qt 5.15 LTS release.

I have high hopes that this release might fix the "freezing GUI" issue
that's been plaguing us on Mac: the 6.0.90 GUI has been running fine for
me on macOS 10.14 so far.

Cheers,
Andrew

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Octave 6.0.90 release candidate Octave.app build

siko1056
On 9/17/20 2:45 AM, Andrew Janke wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I've put together an Octave.app build of the Octave 6.0.90 release
> candidate, if anyone would like a convenient way of testing this out on Mac.
>
> https://github.com/octave-app/octave-app/releases/tag/v6.0.90-rc1
>
> Requires macOS 10.14 or later (because I'm getting build errors on 10.13).
>
> This build is done against the newish Qt 5.15 LTS release.
>
> I have high hopes that this release might fix the "freezing GUI" issue
> that's been plaguing us on Mac: the 6.0.90 GUI has been running fine for
> me on macOS 10.14 so far.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew
>


Andrew, thanks for providing the release candidate.  I am not a native
macOS user, but I gave it a try on a MacBook Air from 2013 (Catalina
10.15.6).

Some of my experience:

+ The GUI does not hang on closing by typing "exit" or pressing the
window "x".

+ Plotting, editing works without freezes or hangs.

- The dmg-file comes from an untrusted source, I had to do some action [1].

- There is a font cache to be generated in my home directory on the
first run.  This process failed (due to permissions?) and I don't know
if it was successful at all.

- I cannot use the App menus [2], they seem to be all deactivated.

Kai


[1]
https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/open-a-mac-app-from-an-unidentified-developer-mh40616/mac
[2] https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/menu-bar-mchlp1446/mac

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Octave 6.0.90 release candidate Octave.app build

apjanke-floss
Thanks Kai!

On 9/23/20 12:51 AM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:

>
> Andrew, thanks for providing the release candidate.  I am not a native
> macOS user, but I gave it a try on a MacBook Air from 2013 (Catalina
> 10.15.6).
>
> Some of my experience:
>
> + The GUI does not hang on closing by typing "exit" or pressing the
> window "x".
>
> + Plotting, editing works without freezes or hangs.

This is great to hear; we may have a fix for our long-standing GUI
freeziness problem.

> - The dmg-file comes from an untrusted source, I had to do some action [1].

This is normal and applies to all the other Octave.app releases, too.
Unfortunately I have not been able to figure out how to get code signing
working yet.
See https://github.com/octave-app/octave-app/issues/83 for details.

> - There is a font cache to be generated in my home directory on the
> first run.  This process failed (due to permissions?) and I don't know
> if it was successful at all.

This appears to be an upstream issue in fontconfig. I have reported it
to fontconfig and am working with them on diagnosing it.

https://github.com/octave-app/octave-app/issues/195
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/fontconfig/fontconfig/-/issues/258

> - I cannot use the App menus [2], they seem to be all deactivated.

Oh, this is weird. Can you be more specific about what "deactivated"
means here? I may be seeing the same thing: When I first launch
Octave.app 6.0.90 on my macOS 10.15.6 machine, the menus in the menu bar
(the thing at the very top of the screen) are non-responsive: clicking
on them produces no action at all; no menu drops down.

If I click away from Octave (e.g. by clicking on the desktop to switch
to Finder) and then click back to Octave, then the menu bar menus work:
clicking on the menu items causes a menu to drop down, and most of the
menu items are active (not greyed out).

Is that what you're seeing?

This is new behavior that I haven't seen before.

>
> Kai
>
>
> [1]
> https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/open-a-mac-app-from-an-unidentified-developer-mh40616/mac
> [2] https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/menu-bar-mchlp1446/mac
>

Cheers,
Andrew

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Octave 6.0.90 release candidate Octave.app build

rdzman


> On Sep 23, 2020, at 6:47 AM, Andrew Janke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 9/23/20 12:51 AM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:
>
>> - I cannot use the App menus [2], they seem to be all deactivated.
>
> Oh, this is weird. Can you be more specific about what "deactivated"
> means here? I may be seeing the same thing: When I first launch
> Octave.app 6.0.90 on my macOS 10.15.6 machine, the menus in the menu bar
> (the thing at the very top of the screen) are non-responsive: clicking
> on them produces no action at all; no menu drops down.
>
> If I click away from Octave (e.g. by clicking on the desktop to switch
> to Finder) and then click back to Octave, then the menu bar menus work:
> clicking on the menu items causes a menu to drop down, and most of the
> menu items are active (not greyed out).
>
> Is that what you're seeing?
>
> This is new behavior that I haven't seen before.

That describes what I am seeing on macOS 10.15.6.

    Ray

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Octave 6.0.90 release candidate Octave.app build

siko1056
On 9/23/20 9:54 PM, Ray Daniel Zimmerman wrote:

>
>
>> On Sep 23, 2020, at 6:47 AM, Andrew Janke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 9/23/20 12:51 AM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:
>>
>>> - I cannot use the App menus [2], they seem to be all deactivated.
>>
>> Oh, this is weird. Can you be more specific about what "deactivated"
>> means here? I may be seeing the same thing: When I first launch
>> Octave.app 6.0.90 on my macOS 10.15.6 machine, the menus in the menu bar
>> (the thing at the very top of the screen) are non-responsive: clicking
>> on them produces no action at all; no menu drops down.
>>
>> If I click away from Octave (e.g. by clicking on the desktop to switch
>> to Finder) and then click back to Octave, then the menu bar menus work:
>> clicking on the menu items causes a menu to drop down, and most of the
>> menu items are active (not greyed out).
>>
>> Is that what you're seeing?
>>
>> This is new behavior that I haven't seen before.
>
> That describes what I am seeing on macOS 10.15.6.
>
>     Ray
>


Yes, same here.  This was not intuitive to me, but I am not using macOS
that often 😅

Kai

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Octave 6.0.90 release candidate Octave.app build

Carlo de Falco-2


Il giorno 24 set 2020, alle ore 03:37, Kai Torben Ohlhus <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

Yes, same here.  This was not intuitive to me, but I am not using macOS
that often 😅

Kai


I tried the app on macos mojave 10.14.6 and I don't see this issue.
c.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Octave 6.0.90 release candidate Octave.app build

apjanke-floss
In reply to this post by siko1056


On 9/23/20 9:37 PM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:

> On 9/23/20 9:54 PM, Ray Daniel Zimmerman wrote:
>>
>>
>>> On Sep 23, 2020, at 6:47 AM, Andrew Janke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 9/23/20 12:51 AM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:
>>>
>>>> - I cannot use the App menus [2], they seem to be all deactivated.
>>>
>>> Oh, this is weird. Can you be more specific about what "deactivated"
>>> means here? I may be seeing the same thing: When I first launch
>>> Octave.app 6.0.90 on my macOS 10.15.6 machine, the menus in the menu bar
>>> (the thing at the very top of the screen) are non-responsive: clicking
>>> on them produces no action at all; no menu drops down.
>>>
>>> If I click away from Octave (e.g. by clicking on the desktop to switch
>>> to Finder) and then click back to Octave, then the menu bar menus work:
>>> clicking on the menu items causes a menu to drop down, and most of the
>>> menu items are active (not greyed out).
>>>
>>> Is that what you're seeing?
>>>
>>> This is new behavior that I haven't seen before.
>>
>> That describes what I am seeing on macOS 10.15.6.
>>
>>     Ray
>>
>
>
> Yes, same here.  This was not intuitive to me, but I am not using macOS
> that often 😅
>
> Kai
>

It shouldn't be intuitive to you. This is a bug. :)

I'll try to figure it out. I've never seen this particular behavior before.

Cheers,
Andrew