Octave Crashes During Normal Use

Henri Morin
Hello,

I am a new Octave user and I just installed version 5.2.0 on my Windows 10 machine (haven't updated it yet to version 1909). I am using it just like I would my python environment but it keeps crashing, without warning. I don't get a windows message saying something like "octave not responding" like I would for python crashes. This happens when I am running a script or when I am using the command window. The mouse just turns into the wait cursor and then it crashes, so I am not sure what the cause is.

Any ideas? I have no idea how to debug this and its getting frustrating with the frequency of crashes considering its a new install and I wouldn't want to lose progress on something important later on.

Cheers,

Henri

Re: Octave Crashes During Normal Use

mmuetzel
Am 17. März 2020 um 15:29 Uhr schrieb "Henri Morin":
> Hello,

> I am a new Octave user and I just installed version 5.2.0 on my Windows 10 machine (haven't updated it yet to version 1909). I am using it just like I would my python environment but it keeps crashing, without warning. I don't get a windows message saying something like "octave not responding" like I would for python crashes. This happens when I am running a script or when I am using the command window. The mouse just turns into the wait cursor and then it crashes, so I am not sure what the cause is.

> Any ideas? I have no idea how to debug this and its getting frustrating with the frequency of crashes considering its a new install and I wouldn't want to lose progress on something important later on.

Octave comes with an msys environment. You could start a command shell by running "cmdshell.bat" in the directory where Octave is installed. Run "gdb" and attach it to the running Octave (via its PID - "12345" in the snippet below):
gdb

(gdb) attach 12345
(gbd) c

... continue working in Octave and try to reproduce the crash. Once it crashes, get the backtrace from there:
(gdb) bt

I hope this helps finding what is going wrong.

Markus

Am 17. März 2020 um 17:07 Uhr schrieb "Henri Morin" <[hidden email]>:
> Well I got a first crash fairly easily. Didn't realise it crashed since the cmdshell was running which kept octave open. But running bt as you suggested gets me a number of errors, most coming from \mingw64\bin\Qt5Core.dll but all have some relation to Qt5. Top level exception was RaiseFailFastException () from C:\WINDOWS\System32\KernelBase.dll

> This is a little on the more technical side for me, so I am unsure what to do with this information. I have attached screenshots of the full traceback (even if I'm unsure they will appear on the thread) since that may be more helpful.

Please, keep the mailing list in CC. I'm re-sending your attachments so the won't get lost.
And use bottom posting if possible.

It's ok now, but it would have been easier if you copy/pasted the backtrace to a text file and attached it.

It looks like the error occurs somewhere in the variable editor. Maybe that helps finding steps to reproduce the bug.
There are already a few bugs related to the variable editor that are tracked on savannah [1]. Maybe it is one of those...

Markus

[1]: https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?go_report=Apply&group=octave&func=browse&set=custom&msort=0&report_id=101&advsrch=1&status_id%5B%5D=1&resolution_id%5B%5D=0&submitted_by%5B%5D=0&assigned_to%5B%5D=0&category_id%5B%5D=107&bug_group_id%5B%5D=0&severity%5B%5D=0&priority%5B%5D=0&summary=variable+editor&details=variable+editor&sumORdet=0&history_search=0&history_field=0&history_event=modified&history_date_dayfd=17&history_date_monthfd=3&history_date_yearfd=2020&chunksz=50&spamscore=5&boxoptionwanted=1#options

octave-crash-traceback-1.png (196K) Download Attachment
octave-crash-traceback-2.png (191K) Download Attachment