Octave Crashes or Sudden Exits

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Octave Crashes or Sudden Exits

Thomas D. Dean-2
I am getting some octave crashes or sudden exits. 2 or 3 times per day.

Octave 6.0.0 built from sources.
octave:2> [V,D]=version()
V = 6.0.0
D = 2019-02-23

 > ls -l `which octave`
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Aug  9 15:06 /usr/local/bin/octave -> octave-6.0.0

Ubuntu 18.04, 5.0.0-23-generic kernel.

I am running octave in an xterm with:
/usr/bin/xterm -T Octave -en UTF-8 -j -sk -sb -sl 1000 -fn 9x15 -bc \
       -bg white -fg black -geometry 80x55 -e octave --no-gui &

Octave just exits.  I hesitate to call it a crash because there is
nothing in dmesg and nothing in syslog, etc.

I do not think any specific action consistently causes the exit.

Any ideas on how to possible track this?

Tom Dean


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Octave Crashes or Sudden Exits

Dmitri A. Sergatskov
On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 5:21 PM Thomas D. Dean <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> I am getting some octave crashes or sudden exits. 2 or 3 times per day.
>
> Octave 6.0.0 built from sources.
> octave:2> [V,D]=version()
> V = 6.0.0
> D = 2019-02-23
>
>  > ls -l `which octave`
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Aug  9 15:06 /usr/local/bin/octave -> octave-6.0.0
>
> Ubuntu 18.04, 5.0.0-23-generic kernel.
>
> I am running octave in an xterm with:
> /usr/bin/xterm -T Octave -en UTF-8 -j -sk -sb -sl 1000 -fn 9x15 -bc \
>        -bg white -fg black -geometry 80x55 -e octave --no-gui &
>
> Octave just exits.  I hesitate to call it a crash because there is
> nothing in dmesg and nothing in syslog, etc.
>
> I do not think any specific action consistently causes the exit.
>
> Any ideas on how to possible track this?

Works for me (on Fedora).
Did you check journalctl?

Try running "bc" instead of octave.

Try running without "&"

Try to start octave inside  xterm manually.

>
> Tom Dean
>

Dmitri.
--


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Octave Crashes or Sudden Exits

Thomas D. Dean-2
On 8/13/19 4:55 PM, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 5:21 PM Thomas D. Dean <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I am getting some octave crashes or sudden exits. 2 or 3 times per day.
>>
>> Octave 6.0.0 built from sources.
>> octave:2> [V,D]=version()
>> V = 6.0.0
>> D = 2019-02-23
>>
>>   > ls -l `which octave`
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Aug  9 15:06 /usr/local/bin/octave -> octave-6.0.0
>>
>> Ubuntu 18.04, 5.0.0-23-generic kernel.
>>
>> I am running octave in an xterm with:
>> /usr/bin/xterm -T Octave -en UTF-8 -j -sk -sb -sl 1000 -fn 9x15 -bc \
>>         -bg white -fg black -geometry 80x55 -e octave --no-gui &
>>
>> Octave just exits.  I hesitate to call it a crash because there is
>> nothing in dmesg and nothing in syslog, etc.
>>
>> I do not think any specific action consistently causes the exit.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to possible track this?
>
> Works for me (on Fedora).
> Did you check journalctl?
>
> Try running "bc" instead of octave.
>
> Try running without "&"
>
> Try to start octave inside  xterm manually.
>
>>
>> Tom Dean
>>
>
> Dmitri.
> --
>

Octave works fine, most of the time.  Just a few, seemingly random
exits.  Nothing in journalctl.  Starting octave with the xterm -e
command has worked fine for a long time.  Years!

I will try starting an xterm and then start octave manually.  That
should allow me to see any exit messages.  I don't remember where they
go when I use xterm -e.  Getting old!

Tom Dean