Octave Forge: Promote link to package documentation

Octave Forge: Promote link to package documentation

Oliver Heimlich
Octave forgers,

currently only two packages (optim and interval) have a dedicated
package documentation hosted at Octave Forge together with their
function reference. I find a package manual very useful and important to
explain concepts that are common to several functions. This kind of
information can hardly be presented in the function reference.

However, the link to the package documentation looks unimpressive and I
would like that changed.

I have added two icons (see attachements, sources at [1]) and extended
the colored box of the function reference. This requires minimal changes
to octave-forge.css and the generate_html package.

I had also experimented with separate coloured boxed for each link (from
the Tango Icon color theme), but that was overkill.

What do you think of the proposed change?

Oliver

[1]
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Gnome-task-due.svg
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Accessories-dictionary.svg

octave-forge-icons-proposal.png (41K) Download Attachment
manual.png (1K) Download Attachment
news.png (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Octave Forge: Promote link to package documentation

Colin Macdonald
On 05/07/15 03:46, Oliver Heimlich wrote:
> What do you think of the proposed change?

+1, should definitely be as prominent as the function reference link.

thanks,
Colin

Re: Octave Forge: Promote link to package documentation

Julien Bect
Oliver Heimlich <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> I have added two icons (see attachements, sources at [1]) and
> extended the colored box of the function reference. This requires
> minimal changes to octave-forge.css and the generate_html package.
>
> I had also experimented with separate coloured boxed for each link
> (from the Tango Icon color theme), but that was overkill.
>
> What do you think of the proposed change?

The proposed change looks fine to me.

You will have to patch both generate_html and project-web [2].

@++
Julien

[2] http://sourceforge.net/p/octave/project-web

On 05.07.2015 17:10, Julien Bect wrote:

> Oliver Heimlich <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>> I have added two icons (see attachements, sources at [1]) and extended
>> the colored box of the function reference. This requires minimal
>> changes to octave-forge.css and the generate_html package.
>>
>> What do you think of the proposed change?
>
> The proposed change looks fine to me.
>
> You will have to patch both generate_html and project-web [2].

Thanks for pointing me to that repository. I have prepared the patches here:
https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/index.php?8698